Hockomock River

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

bikepete

Hockomock River

Post by bikepete »

Has anyone paddled the Hockomock River lately? I'd be interested in trying or possibly working on brushing it out this year.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try.

Necky Chatham 17 fiberglass
chpaton

Hockomock

Post by chpaton »

Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
norm

Post by norm »

bikepete - What is your definition of lately. months or years? I did it back on June 30, 2007 with a friend and 2 of our teenage sons in rec yaks. Our goal was a couple of geocaches as well as kayaking. We did the stretch from rte 106 to the Town River and took out at Scotland Rd. It took us 5 hours to cover the 4.25 miles due to the low water and high grass - my son was ready to kill me as he led the way bushwacking through the high grass while in his kayak and got hundreds of spiders in his boat. He was just complaining about that trip again last Friday - no more swamps for him he says. Looking at the logs, nobody else made it out to the 2 geocaches since then - the caches were Hockomock Hummock and Hockomock Trot.

I like kayaking small rivers when there is enough water and I wouldn't mind giving cleanup work a try. I get out of work at 2:30 and I'm always looking for somewhere to paddle as soon as the weather improves to temps in the 60's. Keep me in mind in the spring if you get a cleanup organized or just want to paddle some of these small rivers.

Norm