Boat Show

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Boat Show

Post by norm »

Has anyone been to the boat show this week? I was wondering if there is anything interesting to kayakers. I went last year and there were a few small boat displays that were interesting, but my time is limited this year and I don't want to make the effort to go if all they have is big power and sail boats.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Good Morning,

http://www.neboatshow.com/

I checked out the list of exhibitors and didn't see any kayak manufacturers listed. I've alway thought it was a predominantly a power boat expo.

I didn't even realize it was moved from the Bayside Expo, I guess its been a while for me.

Cheers,

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

There were a few dealers with kayaks there last year but I don't recall a lot of sea kayaks...mostly rec, river and fishing models. The boat show is much nicer at the new convention center - it is much easier to see everything and they have enough height to raise masts on the sailboats. They even have a place to check your coat so you're not lugging it around for hours. The Bayside is so cut up, I always feel like I missed an area when I go to shows there. The RV show will be at the Bayside this weekend.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Roger Crawford, who as many of you know, is a local boatbuilder, shares a space with Doug Grey from Billington Sea Kayaks, I imagine they are an oasis in a sea of conspicuous consumption. If you go, I bet they would love to chat with somebody who would rather harness the wind or paddle a boat. They must get a number of folks that are attracted to Roger's craftmanship and Doug's long history of a local independent dealer.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Not kayaks, but also checkout local boatbuilder Bob Fuller from South Shore Boatworks. He's one of the few still building in wood.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Norm,

Since you are relatively new to this forum, you may not be aware of the Kayak Expo held every year in Norwell. It is sponsered by the NSRWA (North South River Watershed Assc.) and is 99% kayaks. I try not to miss it, it is very informative, has groups like the wtpaddlers.org, as well as numerous vendors and exhibits. The expo is in the spring time and the date can be found here later this year, or at the website NSRWA.org.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
norm

Post by norm »

Todd - I've seen that Norwell Expo listed before but have always missed it due to other conflicts for Saturday time. Maybe I'll get there this year now that I have a bigger kayak. Thanks for the reminder and the link - the date and location of the Expo this year is:

NSRWA'a 6th Annual Kayak Expo
Saturday, March 29th, 10am-4pm,
Norwell Middle School, 328 Main St. (Rt. 123), Norwell

It does not mention a price for admission?
Todd

Post by Todd »

Norm, I believe it is $5, but what ever the price, it's worth it.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170