Sunday 10/2 - Harbor Islands

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Chip

Sunday 10/2 - Harbor Islands

Post by Chip »

The plan is to launch from Windmill point in Hull and head over to Georges Island. From there we would hit Lovells and head out the the Brewsters. We can play it by ear once we get out there.

If the conditions are too rough we will launch from Squantum and hit Thompsons and Spectacle.

Launch time 8am.

Due to tide/current issues, we are moving to plan B. Squantum -> Thompson->Spectacle.
8AM launch time.
Last edited by Chip on Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
chpaton

trip schedule

Post by chpaton »

Chip:

What's the anticipated lenght of the trip? If you launch at 8, when do you think you will be returning?
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Chip

Post by Chip »

Craig,
If we are able to get out the the Outer Brewster Island it will be about 9 miles. I would say 4-5 hours depending on the length of stops. Probably 3-4 hours if we cut out the Outer Brewster. I am sure the Squantum version will be on the shorter side.
I would like to see most of the Patriots game so a 1pm or earlier return would be nice.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

High tide is about 11:24 AM at Boston Light and 3 minutes later at Hull. You'll be bucking the incoming tide on the way out and the outgoing tide on the way in. The tidal current can get moving pretty good in Nantasket Roads, so you might want to take that into consideration. The one "paddle from hell" that I participated in was a trip to Calf and the Brewsters. Going out was no problem but the timing of the tides was similar to what's up for the 2nd. By the time we got to Outer Brewster and were ready to head back the tide was against us and the off shore breeze had kicked up out of nowhere and was blowing 20 - 25. The swell in Nantasket Roads had increased from 2' to 4'+ with breaking wind waves on top. We were lucky to make 1 knot against the tide and wind. It's one of the few times I knew I shouldn't have been out. Hopefully, conditions will be much more benign on the 2nd - I've also been out behind Lovells in Black Rock Channel to Great Brewster when it was so calm the sea was like glass. But even on that day there was a decent swell in Nantasket Roads.

I don't think you can do the whole trip you planned in 4-5 hours if you spend any time on the islands at all. George's, as you know, has a large resored fortification. Lovell's has a campground, a nice beach, and many ruins of interest. Gallops while officially "off limits" has ruins of interest. Calf has interesting ruins, and Outer Brewster has interesting ruins. To see any of the stuff requires some hiking!

You might want to consider two trips - 1. Georges, Gallops, Lovells, and 2. Calf and the Brewsters.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Craig,

It's sounding like we might do the Squantum -> Thompson -> Spectacle trip instead on that day.

Although it always seems like trips are planned around high tide, I wonder if that one might be better around low tide. Ride the gut out, play around the (enlarged) islands a little, and then ride the tide back in.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Here's an excellent article about how one guy planned a similar trip.

http://kayak.scenicnewengland.net/2005b/tripplans.php
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

He has written some good stuff. I hope he continues.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Pat:

I got into the habit of planning trips around high tide because the bulk of my trips involve(d) launching from various sites around the harbor that are pretty muddy at low tide (Teenan Beach, Nickerson Beach, Wollaston Beach, Met YC on the Fore River, Abigale Adams St. Park, Hingham Harbor, etc.) The Quincy Marine Center on Hough's Neck is the only site in Quincy that I'm familiar with that affords good low water access to the harbor.

Hull Gut doesn't pose a problem at low tide if you launch to the side and avoid going thru the Gut. A trip from the Gut to Calf, the Brewster's and beyond would certainly be facilitated by riding out with the out going tide and coming back in on the infow. at dead low there is lots of shallow water around the Brewsters making landing on some of the rockier ones problematic (landing is problematic on some at HIGH tide let alone low), however Calf, Great Brewster, and Outer Brewster should all be accesible at low water.

If you decide to stay inshore and want to avoid a Spectacle redeux, you could do a nice circumnav of Long Is with a launch from either Nickerson or Wollaston Beaches. Nice lighthouse and fortification ruins to visit at the tip and breaks the trip into two 4-5 mile halves.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

What's the skill level on this trip? Looks like I might be able to join you.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Todd

Post by Todd »

2 items.

1) I've been looking for the Scenic New England since his first edition, but could never find 2 or 3. Is it out somewhere different?

2) Bea, good to hear from you. I hope the family is well. Skill levels are subjective, but from all references I've looked at would put this trip in the 2-3 range. Correct me if I'm wrong. This level would mean that you can make sweep strokes, have made wet exits and unassisted recoveries, have made assisted recoveries, able to paddle 10 miles in 2-4 foot swells, and be able to handle some wind. Anytime out in Boston Harbor, the conditions can vary.

Have you been practicing?

By the way Sue got a kayak this summer and from what I hear she is an avid water nymph. Perhaps the turkeys can schedule 2 trips that day.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Chip

Post by Chip »

Todd,
Here is the second one.

http://kayak.scenicnewengland.net/2005b/index.php

He has an archive section where you can see the 2 of them.
The third one is not out yet.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'm not convinced he's going to continue but I hope he does. I've emailed him twice in the past but he's never responded.

Maybe we should pay him a visiti at Charles River Canoe and Kayay... if he still works there that is.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Birdseye,

Thanks, but they are the same issue.

Here is a thought, if the Turkeys are looking for more experienced people to learn from we can look into a class or a tutoring seesion with EMS or with Charles River Canoe and Kayak. They have different level classes, work on different objectives, perhaps we can plan a trip next year to a new/more challenging spot with a guide.
Carolina Perception 14.5
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Any idea what these classes/sessions cost?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Charles River classes run from $75 - $100 generally.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Gulp.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

Last year I took Kayaking 1 with EMS, basic strokes (forward, sweep, stopping, reverse), assisted rescue, and we toured inner Hingham Harbor.

Kayaking 2 would be more of the same, but refinement and more rescuing. The lesson was in a group and cost $80 for 3 hours, but that included their equipment I beleive that you can hire an instructor to go tour with you and help out on anything. The rate varies on how many people go along, but if you had 3-4 people go, it can be reasonable and you would have somewhat individual attention

EMS and CRCK also sponser trips.
Carolina Perception 14.5
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

So it's just Chip and I on this trip?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'll have to get back to you on my schedule.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

What trip did you guys finally end up choosing??

Todd,

I didn't send you that link Chip did. Here is the first issue. The other one is issue two. There is no issue Three.

http://kayak.scenicnewengland.net/2005a/index.php
Chip

Post by Chip »

We will be leaving Squantum at 8am and paddling to Thompson and Spectacle. Maybe Long Island as well.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm in.
Image P&H Cetus HV
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

I'm still waiting for my activities director to set the weekend's schedule. My participation is a possibility, but by no means certain at this point.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Todd and all.

Thank you for the skill level info for Sunday's trip.

My plan for summer 2005 was to work on wet exits etc, but of course that did not happen. I spent a lot of time in the kayak on Lake Winnepeasake, but mostly sunbathing from it in the middle of the cove. It was very relaxing, but it did not improve my skills - just my tan!

I guess I have to hook up with you guys when you paddle more protected waters.

Bea
Bea
Todd

Post by Todd »

Goddess of the North Lands, Female Fjord Femme Fatale.

Did you see the portion of my post that said that Sue, of Sue and Pat, is kayaking these days? If you are up for a trip on Sunday, perhaps she will be available. She was at a Thursday session in Hanson this summer, she performed some wet exits, some assisted recoveries and she and Pat have been very active in calmer waters. She is not quite ready for swells and waves and maybe be interested in another type of trip.
Carolina Perception 14.5
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Todd.

Yes, Sue and I paddled out to the Spit with you and other Wild Turkeys over the summer............remember? The day Steve took his sailboat out...

And I have all the "not so Wild Turkeys" that I can paddle with too. They go out almost every night....to the Spit or otherwise.

However, I thought it would be fun to go out with the Wild Turkeys as I miss all that "wise-ass" paddle from the Chip/Nelson/Pat clan.

Bea
Bea
Dave

Tentative in

Post by Dave »

Not going away this weekend. Too much driving for a regular weekend. So, Allison and myself will try to make it. (It's a bit of an early start for us on a Sunday morning, but I think we can make it.) Sounds like fun trip.

You in Nelson?

Hoping you can make it too Craig. I still have yet to see your other boat.

Hope to see everyone there. Where excactly on Squantum?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Y'know if you're going north on Wollaston Beach Blvd and go right on E. Squantum St. out toward Marina Bay? That's Squantum.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I think he said where exactly ON Squantum not IS.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Birdseye wrote:I think he said where exactly ON Squantum not IS.

Oops - you're right. My bad.

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

Looks good

Post by Dave »

Ok, got it. That looks like a great spot, you're half way to there from the put in, I like it.

(Still have to break the time to Allison, she was gung ho in principle, I don't think the early start will be a problem. It's about 5 minutes from our house.)
Dave

Confirmation

Post by Dave »

Allison and I will be there @ 08:00 on Sunday morning.

Haven't heard from Craig.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! :P
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

My activity director has authorized kayaking activity for Sunday morning. See you all at Nickerson Beach @ 8AM.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Chip

Post by Chip »

This is the group so far, that I know of.

Chip
Pat
Ron
Dave
Allison
Craig

Did I miss anyone?
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

There is a 50% chance that I'll be joining you. I just learned that the family has other things going on (I'm so clueless it's pitiful). However, I ran a 10 miler today and I am junk (hilliest course I have ever experienced in my life), so I'm going to have to see how I feel in the morning. Sorry to be so up in the air, but.... Don't wait around for me. If I'm coming, I'll be there before 8:00.

Steven "rubber legs" Roberts
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Figures... I'm not going on this trip and everyone decides to go.

I guess I should start getting a complex.

:cry:
Dave

Great paddle

Post by Dave »

Allison and I had a really great time yesterday. What a perfect morning! Looking forward to getting out there again real soon!
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Hope you folks had a great time. Sorry I didn't show. My legs were aching when I woke up and the thought of being crammed into my kayak in the same position for hours did seem very appealing. I had a nice relaxing (i.e. effortless) sail, instead.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Photos are up!

<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Boston%20Harbor%20-%2010-2-05%20(Ron's%20Photos)">Ron's Photos</a>

<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Boston%20Harbor%20-%2010-2-05">Pat's Photos</a>
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Great trip! Thanks again to Craig for knowing pretty much everything there is to know about the islands. One of these trips, I AM going to stump him on a question. :)

However, we made the same mistake (imo) that we do on pretty much every trip I've been on this year. Paddle two miles, nices rest. Paddle two miles, nice rest. Then we aim the yaks for our cars and that's it. 4.5 miles straight. I was beat when we landed, but I think if we'd stopped halfway back, it would have been a lot easier. I guess I just had PPR on my mind...
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com