Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10

getnoutside

Pool Sessions

Post by getnoutside »

I have no idea if we could find a place, but is there any interest in trying to organize a few off-season pool sessions (anything to keep a pulse going on this forum through the winter :wink: ). It would probably require a fee.

I'd be willing to call around if there was enough interest (that won't putter out right before a commitment is required)
Dave

Yes

Post by Dave »

A most definite affirmative on that.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Just wanted you to know that I was the third pro vote in the pool poll.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

NSPN has them every winter and the prices are most likely reduced for members. Might be worth joining for plus we wouldn't have to do any of the legwork.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys!

I am yes vote #6 for the pool sessions.

Paddled Little Harbor in Cohasset yesterday. It was beautiful. I was surprised how warm the water still is.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

The ocean temperatures are very skewed around here. They're probably warmer in early December than in early June.

BTW - I'm a yes vote, too...
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I just learned that the Y in hanover allowed the NSRWA to have a kayak skills session in their pool last year. Other pools that I know of in the area are Healthtrax in hanover, the Y in Quincy, the Weymouth Club, the Kingsbury Club, and the pool in Duxbury. Any others?
Chip

Post by Chip »

There is an MDC pool in weymouth.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Oh right, I forgot about that place
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Bump
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:Bump

:?:
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Birdseye wrote:
get'n-outside wrote:Bump

:?:

"Bump"... as in bumping the thread to the top of the list so it won't escape notice. In this case, I thought it made sense to "bump" it to ensure that anyone who want to vote did. I don't know Nelson... I thought you were hip with this craaazy forum jive :wink:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote: I don't know Nelson... I thought you were hip with this craaazy forum jive :wink:

Not me. I'm hardly a forum guy at all. Most are good for about a week then start to get ridiculous.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Hi Guys,

I received and email from Mark Stephens this morning regarding winter pool sessions and he asked me to pass it along to the group.

Hi Nelson: I know you guys were looking into pool sessions. I've been going to the pool sessions in Middleboro (at the elementary school) the past two winters and it has been the best deal around. $10 for two hours in an olympic-size pool. Never crowded. Looks like it could go to $15 a night this year, but still a good deal.

One issue for some folks is the late hour. We have the pool from 8-10PM, which is a bit late for some folks for a weeknight.

If you are "seriously" interested in these sessions let me know and I'll pass the info along to the person who schedules the pool time.

Nelson
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Sounds like a good deal to me. It is late, but I think this would be the case with just about any pool since their first priority is the swimmers and swimming lessons.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

It would also be beneficial to have the sessions with experienced paddlers, which I'm assuming would be the case in Middleboro
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:It would also be beneficial to have the sessions with experienced paddlers, which I'm assuming would be the case in Middleboro

I don't have that info but I'll find out.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Steve,

There will not be any formal instruction at the pool sessions but Pat, the person putting it together is ACA Certified in both Sea and Whitewater Kayaking. Plus Mark and Jordan are regulars and others in the past have been willing to spot and offer tips.

So it'll sort of be like the Thursday night session without the ability to paddle down and around the island.

Speak up if you're interested.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I'm speakin'
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:

I'm speakin'

I meant those other guys :wink:
Todd

Post by Todd »

If I'm one of those other guys, I'm interested.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

When this post was started there were 10 people interested in pools sessions. So far only 3 people have showed interest in the most recent development.

I'm not sure if that's because some aren't interested or they just haven't logged on lately.

If you have an opinion, positive or negative, about these sessions say something here so I know you've at least seen it.

I believe the session will be held Tuesday nights from 8-10 PM.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

In general I'm interested. To generate a more specific interest and commitment, I'll need some more information.

What's the cost? (is it per session, or per season, or some other?)

What equipment assets are avialable?, or do we have to schlepp our own kayaks to the pool?

Is there any formal instruction?, or is it just the inexperienced learning from the experienced?
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am interested but can't commit right now.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

chpaton wrote:In general I'm interested. To generate a more specific interest and commitment, I'll need some more information.

What's the cost? (is it per session, or per season, or some other?)

What equipment assets are avialable?, or do we have to schlepp our own kayaks to the pool?

Is there any formal instruction?, or is it just the inexperienced learning from the experienced?

Cost $10-$15 per session and I'm pretty sure you're not obligated to go to any session (but if you don't plan on going to at least a couple I'd say you're not interested).

Schlep your own kayak

No Instructor. Experienced helping inexperienced and a place to practice your rusty skills during the winter.

Obviously there's no room to paddle so it's mostly to work on rolling and bracing skills.

Let me see if I can find out a few more details.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Ok I called Pat, the guys who's running these sessions.

The sessions are through the Wareham Rec Dept. but will be held in Middleborough and are due to start Tuesday, January 9th. and go every Tuesday until at least the end of March.

The official time is 8:30 - 10:00 PM but it's possible if the swim group gets out early we can go in early, and sometimes can stay until 10:30.

Cost will most likely be $15 per session - no obligation to come to every session or pay in advance.

You have to bring your own kayak. The pool is pretty big and there has been a mix of whitewater and sea kayakers in past years.

No official instruction just people helping people.

It would be helpful to be able to tell this guy how many of us are interested and a possibly a rough idea how often you think you might be able / interested to attend? (But with no commitment).

I will provide more details and directions when/if they are available to me.

Thanks.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Nelson:

Thanks for getting the answers. Unfortunately they pretty much put a damper on my enthusiasm.

I'm interested in learning a roll or two, but at the moment I don't own a kayak suitable for rolling (as "she who must be obeyed" has indefinitely embargoed furher kayak purchases pending the disposition of the Nomad and the '65 Corvair "project car" I'd be in need of a loaner). Additionally, the extra time I'd need to rack up a boat after work and then head down to Middleboro would make it difficult for me to get there on a work night.

Maybe something will turn up closer to Quincy.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango