Tent Info

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Linda

Tent Info

Post by Linda »

Anyone have experience with kayak camping? Anyone have experience with a tent that they would recommend? I'm looking to purchase a tent (2-man) that is easy to set up, compact, lightweight, waterproof that will hold up well in wind and that won't break my wallet? The only tent I know about is our 6 man cabin tent from the 70's, if you can believe that.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Linda,

On REI.com you can narrow your search to 2-man backpacking tents. Any of these should be light enough for kayaking and will be waterproof. Unless you intend to backpack, you don't need to consider the ultra-lights... these will be expensive. I like Marmot... good quality to price ratio. REI's brand is pretty good, as is MSR's. I'm not a big fan of Kelty or Big Agnes.

I recommend buying the footprint for any tent you purchase. This will help keep you dry and the tent will last longer.
cgr

Post by cgr »

I bought a Kelty for $99 at one of REI's spring or summer sale many years ago.(they usually have several tent deals at every sale) It was still in good shape this fall when I gave it to my nephews. I replaced it with a Marmot from the REI outlet.

The house brands for REI, EMS, Hilton's are all usually good quality for less money than the name brands. If you go to REI, EMS, Hiltons, LL Bean they will(or should) setup any tent you are interested in for you and let you crawl around and try repacking them. Hilton's Tent City is/was around the corner from the Boston Garden.

Tents are usually freestanding or not. Freestanding means that you don't need to stake/tie them out to hold their shape.(you can also easily shake the tent to clean any sand out of it)

How many poles are there? What kind of material(aluminum or fiberglass). How do the poles attach(slide them thru fabric sleeves or are their clips to attach to poles). How many doors/windows? Is the material mesh so it breaths and you can see the stars with the fly off? Does the tent pack down enough to fit where you want it in the boat?

How big a tent do you want/need? A 2 man tent will let one person bring much of their gear inside. Some tents have room under the fly to store gear outside(for boats you can always put stuff back in boat).

That said - I know of at least one person that buys only cheap dome tents from walmart and then seals all of the seams. If he only gets a couple of seasons out of it he just buys another.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Linda,
I'll be working at REI in Hingham this Sunday if you want to come in and check out some tents. I think the REI Half Dome 2 for $169 is a great bargain for tent with a full fly. Ron and Stephen have both used this tent. You really don't have to go ultralite in a tent for kayak camping, unless you want room for other stuff you normally wouldn't bring. Like Beer. :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Chip wrote:Linda,
I'll be working at REI in Hingham this Sunday if you want to come in and check out some tents. I think the REI Half Dome 2 for $169 is a great bargain for tent with a full fly. Ron and Stephen have both used this tent. You really don't have to go ultralite in a tent for kayak camping, unless you want room for other stuff you normally wouldn't bring. Like Beer. :lol:

I've had my REI Half-Dome for about 5 years and use it regularly every season. It's still in great shape. The only complaint I have is that it isn't a great tent for high winds. Flaps around too much. I'm 6'5 and it is fine for me and my gear. Not so good with another adult, tough.... very narrow.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks, all, for the input. I have some time (and can probably even borrow a tent this time around... but I think getting into kayak camping can open up new avenues... and the thought intrigues me.
I'll follow up on your leads/advice... Thanks, Again!
Chip

Post by Chip »

Here is a nice one. I have the 3 man version. Nice tent.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767268
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks all!
I committed and actually, my new tent arrived today. I hope I'll be happy enough with it, I think I will. And it should serve me well.
I guess I'll see how much I like kayak camping before I invest in too much. I've got some basic accessory equipment from yesteryear which if I do 'get into this' will most likely upgrade to decrease size and weight.