NSRWA River Clean Up Day

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

NorwayLady

NSRWA River Clean Up Day

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi everyone.

Saturday May 9th (tomorrow!) NSRWA will sponsor its 22nd annual River Clean Up Day. They are looking for volunteers to clean up at the following locations: Driftway Conservation Area in Scituate, Union Street Canoe Launch in Marshfield, Hanover Canoe Launch, Old Oaken Bucket Pond in Scituate, Willow Street Bridge in Marshfield, Frances Keville Bridge area behind CVS in Marshfield, plus Marshfield town landing on Ferry Street.

Cleanup from 9:00 am to noon, followed by a cook out at the Driftway Conservation Area from noon to 2:00 pm for all volunteers.

They are also encouraging volunteers to "get out there" and help clean up any area along the river shores (rivers, streams, marshes and ponds that make up the watershed).

I am planning to launch from the Driftway in my kayak around 9:00, and help clean up the area from the Driftway to the Spit. Anyone interested in joining me?

JohnnySmokes.....the BBQ afterwards should be calling you??????

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Bea, I have something else planned, but if it falls through (or I don't wake up in time) I'll definitely be there, for the bbq at least....
norm

Post by norm »

Bea - I'll probably join you. I had hoped to make grand plans for a trip further from home but was too busy this week to figure anything out.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Norm and all,

Didn't get over to the Driftway until around 11:00 today due to the soggy weather this morning. Norm, I hope I didn't miss you?? Did I.

Sue G. and I joined other volunteers, and we filled 3 big bags of trash. We went on foot, since Sue didn't have her boat. Quite a good turnout, and 2 people we met had filled 8 huge bags, and another guy was cleaning up in an area that was a real dumping ground! Nice BBQ afterwards, 25+ volunteers.

I had been out in my kayak the day before just to check things out. Todd and I paddled from the Driftway out to the Spit, into the South River up to the Bridgeway and back. I was busy scouting for trash and debris the whole way, and to my surprise I didn't see much. A nice surprise! Glad we did that paddle yesterday, and not today. I don't know if any of you guys were out there this afternoon, but the FOG was moving in so fast. I was on foot, and saw the fog first cover the 4th cliff, then the Spit and then moving up towards Mary's. The fog was moving faster than paddle speed, and at high tide and a full moon the whole area was flooded. Very easy to get lost of there when the weather moves in!!!

NorwayLady
Last edited by NorwayLady on Sat May 09, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:Norm and all,

Didn't get over to the Driftway until around 11:00 today due to the soggy weather this morning. Norm, I hope I didn't miss you?? Did I.

NorwayLady

Bea - I took a ride over to the driftway early but the weather turned lousy on my way there. I was having a low energy morning and decided to head back home.
kayakstew

curius about these cleanups

Post by kayakstew »

I'd like to get more information about cleanups like these. any idea where i can find more info? I have started a habbit of bring a plastic shopping bag with me and snagging trash while paddling out on the rivers. I was curious if some of this "trash" might actually be beneficial. While I can't imagine beer cans and foam dunkin donuts cups are helpful (those are the most frequent offenders) maybe some items are worse than others. Anyone ever hear of cleanup guidelines/best pratices?

I also have to figure out a better means to easily snag trash items. Often i have been using my paddle or hand but honestly i'd rather not...

Anyone else ever do anythng like this? I imagine with the rate at which the trash accumulates I may get discouraged easily.

~steve/stew
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hey Steve,
Here is a link to there site.

http://www.nsrwa.org/
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire