Parking for Overnight trip to Harbor Islands

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

nchill

Parking for Overnight trip to Harbor Islands

Post by nchill »

Where do people park to kayak to the outer Boston Harbor Islands (Lovells) for overnight? Is there anything around the City Point area, or are Hingham Harbor and Hull (Windmill Point) the only places? I would appreciate any local knowledge. Thanks in advance.

-Nancy
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Tell me where I can get more information about kayaking to the islands. What skill level do you estimate that to be? Is there a campground out there? Do you have a website that I might refer to?

Thanks!

Rhiannon
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Here's one that can get you started.

http://www.bostonislands.com/

Depending on the island, there can be heavy large boat traffic along with some decent currents, and of course wind-driven waves.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
nchill

Post by nchill »

Rhiannon, the link that Beanboy sent has links to camping info and links to a ferry shuttle schedule that travels amongst many of the islands. I have not paddled in that area, but I would expect currents and heavy boat traffic in the Hull Gut area, and possible confused seas from currents, wind and boat wakes other places as well. You need to have good navigation skills to find your way between the islands. You could paddle out on a nice calm day and find that conditions have deteriorated for your return trip, as conditions can rapidly become challenging with changing weather. Even on a calm day you will have to contend with some current and boat traffic. Perhaps a ferry trip would give you a better idea of the area. Staying within Hingham Harbor might be your best bet (not going out through the gut) if you are concerned about conditions. Others who have paddled in that area can give you more information about what to expect.

I am mainly looking for information on parking overnight.

-Nancy
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

As far as parking, I know down in Quincy? ferry area, you can park overnight, or at least used to. Been a few years since I headed out to camp on a regular basis on the islands.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
cgr

Post by cgr »

Rhiannon wrote:Tell me where I can get more information about kayaking to the islands. What skill level do you estimate that to be? Is there a campground out there? Do you have a website that I might refer to?

Thanks!

Rhiannon

There are 3 or 4 islands that are located right within Hingham harbor that are a great destination for a first timer. One of them is about 1/2 mile off of the Hingham harbor launch, and the other 3 are closer to the mouth of the harbor near the Hingham Yacht club.

Once you've done those other logical destinations from Hingham harbor are Bumpkin Island or Slate & Grape Islands.

The biweekly Thursday night Hingham paddles usually end up going to Bumpkin, Slate, Grape , or some combination of them.

more info: http://www.wtpaddlers.org/spots-07.html
chpaton

Boston Harbor Is Camping

Post by chpaton »

At the present time officially sanctioned (and supervised) overnight camping is allowed on Grape, Bumpkin and Lovell's Islands. Of the three, both Bumpkin and Grape can be reached fairly easily from various departure points.

Either can be reached by "experienced beginners" (ie you've been out a few times, are comfortable paddling a few miles in mild/moderate wind and waves, and can perform a wet exit and self rescue) with proper equipment (reasonably seaworthy kayak, with spray skirt, bilge pump, paddle float and PFD), and cooperative weather.

I believe you need to reserve a campground in advance.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Overnight parking is allowed at the launch across from Stars on 3A in Hingham. This is where I park when I camp on Grape or Bumpkin.
lbeale

RE: Overnight parking in Hingham

Post by lbeale »

Hi Steven,

Do you need to get permission to park overnight or do you park without permission?

Les
Birdseye

Re: RE: Overnight parking in Hingham

Post by Birdseye »

lbeale wrote:Hi Steven,

Do you need to get permission to park overnight or do you park without permission?

Les

You don't need permission but it's good to call the Hingham Police and let them know you'll car will be there over night and the Lic No.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Re: RE: Overnight parking in Hingham

Post by getnoutside »

Birdseye wrote:
lbeale wrote:Hi Steven,

Les

You don't need permission but it's good to call the Hingham Police and let them know you'll car will be there over night and the Lic No.

Nelson

I was suppose to be camping on Grape this past weekend (until the motor mount tore off my boat... a story for another time). Per usual I called the Hingham police regarding parking. This time they told me it wasn't necessary as long as I had a trailer on my car. So, I guess that implies that if you don't have a trailer you should let them know.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

So if I park there and hook someone else's car to my trailer hitch, does that cover both of us?

;)