Paddle floats

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Paddle floats

Post by pat »

I've done a little looking around the net, and it seems that paddle floats are $40. Sometimes you can find a website that has them as low as $39.95, but that's it. Is that pretty much the going rate? Seems like a lot of money for 50 cents worth of plastic.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

It must be the valve. Dry bags are like $12 and twice the size. I have been waiting for a sale. REI is having a 4th of July sale starting tomorrow. They usually have a 20% off of any one item for members or 20% anything in the store. Floats and pumps rarely go on sale on their own. I got an REI gift card for Dad's day so I will be there soon.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

With your discount at BSK you should be able to get the one I have for around $25.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Dave

Paddle floats

Post by Dave »

If you can't get a better price, check out the Kayak Centre's online store. They had a nice Seatle Sports package that was a good price, 49.99. You probably already have the most of the pieces: a pump, whistle, paddle leash, and paddle float. They have just the float for $32.00.

http://store.kayakcentre.com/browse.cfm/2,75.html
Chip

Post by Chip »

REI also has one for $32

<a href="http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9320675&parent_category_rn=4501499&vcat=REI_SSHP_PADDLING_TOC">Link</a>
chpaton

Re: Paddle Floats

Post by chpaton »

Before you go investing $30 on an inflatable paddle float, you might want to take a look at non-inflatable onesmade out of closed cell foam. For those of you who have simple foam pad seats in your 'yaks there are some that also double as paddle floats. Anyone who is handy could fabricate one pretty easily too!

Advantage of a non-inflatable paddlefloat - quicker to deploy when you need it, a big advantage if you are in a situation which requires a quick re-mount!

Dis-advantage - takes up a bit more room (unless you have a seat that doubles as a float) but they still fit easily under the rear deck bungies, or behind the seat in most cockpits
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Chip

Post by Chip »

Bought my paddle float today. I am ready to go.