Kayaking the Everglades with Marshfield Rec

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

NorwayLady

Kayaking the Everglades with Marshfield Rec

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

Ned and Doug are putting on a one week kayaking trip in the Everglades ( Florida) from Jan 23-29, 2006. They have done these trips for 15 years, so these guys really know what they are doing. So far 5 of us have signed up, and they need 6 people (max. 8).

Are any of you wild Turkeys interested in going? I'll post some more info about the trip, and you can also get more details by contacting the Marshfeld Rec. Dept.

Bea
Last edited by NorwayLady on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Hey Bea,

I've been wanting to do one of these for the past few years, but it's never worked out. I was talking to Ned about it a couple of weeks ago. What do you estimate it's going to cost you?

Steven
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Steve.

Below is a copy of an e-mail about the trip. Karen, Joann and I play to fly out Saturday 22 and stay over night in Ft. Meyers. As you can see there is a meeting 1/3/2006 to plan the trip (and collect $$$deposit). Anyone interested in hearing about the trip is welcome to that meeting (even though they might not be able to go) The trip is called "The Sampler" as it will be a mix of fresh and salt water paddeling in a couple of different locations. They have a van etc. for transportation between locations. Bea
Trip Outline:
Cost $850 plus air fare.
Dates Jan 23 meet @ Fort Meyers airport 12:00 noon
Jan 29 return to Boston
4 nights we camp out on beach or parks, tents , cooking, porto potty
other nights stay @ bed and breakfasts.
3 meals our cost.

Dour Lowry brings down the kayaks, paddles, PFD's-uses Necki and perception kayaks, glass and kevlar, doubles and singles. We pretty much just show up.
There is a meeting next Tues. 1/3/6, 7:30 pm @ Marshfield Rec. Dept. to review details

If you want to sign up call Ned Bangs 781 834 5543 or email nbangs@mfld.org
Bea
chpaton

Katrina & Wilma damage

Post by chpaton »

I'm sure you've already looked into this, but because the details of where you're camping out are vague I'll mention it.

Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma caused major damage to certain camp grounds and "canoe trails" within the Everglades. Many of the campgrounds are still closed - many of the canoe trails are still impassable.

I'm told you need to reserve your campgrounds well in advance!
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Graig.

Yes, Ned and Doug are well aware of the damage to the misc. state parks, camp sites you name it. That's why this trip has been slow "getting off the ground". They had to find out which places were "back in business" after the hurricanes. We need one more warm body to make this a go!

Bea
Bea
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

The Everglades trip meeting tomorrow Jan 3rd is at 7:30 pm at the Rec. Dept. DayCare center which is located in the same building as the Ventress Library in Marshfield. The enterance is next to the Boys and Girls club.

Bea
Bea
Todd

Post by Todd »

I wonder what a Necky tastes like to an alligator :?:
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Todd.

With my history of getting caught in fisihing lines etc, I might be a tasty snack for an aligator. I bet the aligators have never tasted a Norwegian muscle before..........(no comments CHIP!.........I know you are dying to say something)

We will be kayaking with the aligators.....that is if we have enough people to go on the trip. Are any of you coming with us..........please, please, please.

Bea
Bea
Dave

Post by Dave »

Todd wrote:I wonder what a Necky tastes like to an alligator :?:

I have it on good authority they prefer Perceptions.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

NorwayLady wrote:Hi Todd.

We will be kayaking with the aligators.....that is if we have enough people to go on the trip. Are any of you coming with us..........please, please, please.

Bea

Hey Bea, I'll go if you'll pay my way :D .
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

NorwayLady wrote:Hi Todd.

With my history of getting caught in fisihing lines etc, I might be a tasty snack for an aligator. I bet the aligators have never tasted a Norwegian muscle before..........(no comments CHIP!.........I know you are dying to say something)

Bea

OK, I'll let this one go. Merry Christmas. (belated) :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

The trip is on! Two warm bodies showed up at the meeting last night, so that brings the number up to 7 plus Ned and Doug. Nelson, I would have loved to bring you with me, but I don't know what my husband would think (or do!). He is bigger than you.....remember!

Bea
Bea
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Bea,
I just wanted you to pay my way. I guess you were thinking about how I was going to pay you back :lol:
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Bea,

Some of us have to work for a living. We don't live the life of ease, globe trotting whenever we feel closed in.

I understand that Norwegian muscle tastes a lot like pickled herring.
Carolina Perception 14.5
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Todd,

The plan is to ski every mountain and kayak every river by age 50. I have about 10 weeks to reach my goal. You missed it......didn't you?

On our trip we will be working on rescue skills etc. After that I will be able to join Pat, Chip, Nelson and all the other "dark side" paddlers. It was fun to check the nautical maps though, as it looks like we will be paddeling in 3-4 feet of water for the most part. Just enough water to get your head stuck in the sand! Is there a roll name for that?

Bea
Bea
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

NorwayLady wrote:Just enough water to get your head stuck in the sand! Is there a roll name for that?

Ostriching?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

Bea,

I'm just jealous. Florida, Rum Coladas, everglades, Goombay Smashes, warm water, wild life, sunshine, Rum spritzers. You youngsters really know how to live.

Enjoy yourself. My next time to Fla, probably when I retire which you'll keep track of for me, I'm going to kayak the intercoastal all day long, from tiki-bar to tiki-bar.

It's going to be exciting for you. Tropical fish, rays. Take your snorkel and your sunblock. You don't want to burn that peaches and cream complexion.

Todd
Carolina Perception 14.5