Current on the North River?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

Current on the North River?

Post by kayakstew »

I noticed your trip planned this weekend on the North River. I was wondering how significant the current is, particularly paddling against it. The trip is a oneway trip, how difficult would it be to paddle two ways, one against the tide?

I am particularly intereted in the area you are paddling this weekend, the Bridge Street launch, past couch beach to Rt3, then back to bridge street.

MUCH THANKS!
Stu
pat
Site Admin

Re: Current on the North River?

Post by pat »

There is one spot north of Union Street that can be a challenge - the Washington Street bridge. It's fairly narrow there, and the water can move through there at a pretty good pace. Usually impossible to manage in the wrong direction. However, at the time we'll be going, the tide will begin to slack, and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Here's how it works:

High tide at the ocean is at 12:10.
We launch at 11:00.
The high tide will reach our launch site at Union Street at about 1:30.
I'll take a guess that we'll arrive at the Hanover launch at about 3:00.
High tide should reach the Hanover launch around 3:30.

So if you've got the energy (and a distaste for car shuttling), you could paddle up and back with the current going both ways. Just know that due to the way the tide works on the river, it's going to be a LOT lower tide at Union Street when you get back than when you left.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

If you're thinking of a round trip, but don't want to go all the way to the Hanover launch, you could turn around just before the Washington Street bridge and head back. You'll be going against the current, but it's really pretty mild. And as time goes by, it will start to change direction.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

Pat, thanks so much for the info!

It was slightly more of a general question. Basically I have plans to get a jog in with a running friend of mine in the am and was thinking I might like to paddling a little later in the day. I have been wanting to paddle the north river, yet usually end up over in Hingham, Weir or Back River, just cause it so close by me. Its unlikely I will make the launch time. But thought I might sneak down a little later for a back and forth paddle.

Sounds like if I steer clear of Washngton street the against the grain is managable and not excessively taxing? At this point I figure I'll launch at Bridge/Union paddling to Couch Beach, if not a smidge further, take a break, then work my way back to Bridge/Union street. I dont think I'll even get as far as Rt3.

THANKS!!!!!!

~Stu
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Yeah, with few exceptions (notably Washington Street bridge, Union Street bridge, Damon's Point), the entire river is navigable in both directions all the time. A possible exception to this might when it's near low tide. I generally time all my trips near high tide and don't have much experience with low, but with the water shallower, it might be faster in some locations.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

I would say that, NOT at all times is the North River current slow enough to paddle against it. I typically paddle at high tide or at low tide (within an hour or two of either), dependent upon where I'm going. If it's a leasurely paddle from the Union St bridge up stream, I will start my paddle before the tide is full. If I'm heading downstream, I will start just short of low tide for my area.

I take always take account a rule I learned at a Navigational class at REI

THE RULE OF TWELFTHS

"After low tide, the first hour of flood carries one-twelfth of the total water volume in the tide.
So progress is slow.
You hardly notice it.
The second hour carries two-twelfths.
Things are speeding up.
But the third and fourth hour carry three-twelfths each, and that's fast.
That's the time when most of the sand hereabouts will be covered, when the gullies fill in, sandbanks
become islands, and disappear.You've got to watch the third and fourth hour.
Watch it!
Fifth hour it slows down to two-twelfths. And sixth hour, it's back to one-twelfth.
Incoming and outgoing, flood and ebb, the rule is the same."

So what this is saying, in my words is if there is a 6 foot tide differential between high and low tides, the volume of water that is contained in 1/2 foot of depth moves in the first hour. The volume contained by 1 foot moves in the second hour, and the volume of water contained by 1.5 feet in the third, and so on. 3 times the amount of water moves in the third and fourth hour than in the first and sixth.

I feel that I'm an above average paddler in strength and technique. I have to admit, I know some people who can paddle circles around me. But, I feel that I would have a hard time during those third and fourth hours if I was paddling against the tide on the North River, independent of any narrow spots. They would only be more difficult.

If you're out at those times, let us know how you found it.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170