Bad kayak bill is back!

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pallen661

Bad kayak bill is back!

Post by pallen661 »

Apparently the never dead "kayak safety bill" is back and has passed the senate. Discussion on NSPN can be found here. The objections to this bill and the potential problems it could create are nicely presented on the CRCK website here

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
Johnysmoke

Re: Bad kayak bill is back!

Post by Johnysmoke »

The one knocking over liquor stores??
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

far as i can tell this bill states that kayakers will be required to wear a lifejacket. seriously it doesnt seem that big of a deal. I imagine most of us already do wear one. Can someone help me understand why this is a bad idea/bad bill?

~stew
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Hi Kstew-

It's bad in many ways. First off it's poorly written. For example it excludes the Coast Guard approved type 5 rescue vests that many ww kayakers and sea kayak guides/instructors use. In a bigger picture, it focuses only on kayaks while the existing data says we're the least problematic group in terms of overall safety. In the really big picture, it adds more regulation to an activity (boating) that already is regulated by existing federal and state law.

Also, as someone who has paid for instruction, and is also considering getting certified as an instructor, it add some useful and some idiotic, regulations. The useful is that people getting paid for instruction must have approved first aid training and be certified by the ACA (other organizations like the BCU aren't sufficient). Idiotic is that everyone being trained must demonstrate a wet exit as part of the instruction if the water is over some depth (5' i think). Doesn't matter if local conditions are too cold, whether the instructee is wearing a spray skirt, etc. And you have to do this every time (assuming I read the bill correctly); it doesn't matter whether your on the local pond or class 5 WW.

So that's why I'm against this bill. There are extensive discussions on the NSPN.org and paddling.net websites if you want more info.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things