Prijon Kodiak 17 VS. WS Tempest 170

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

Prijon Kodiak 17 VS. WS Tempest 170

Post by kayakstew »

Would anyone have some comparison or feedback on the differences between these two boats?

PRIJON KODIAK 17'1" and WILDERNESS SYSTEMS TEMPEST 170

I am considering purchasing/upgrading from a 13 footer to something a little more "sea worthy". Ideally interested in working up to some camping trips to the Boston Harbor Islands this Summer & Fall in addition to a few multi-day coastal paddles. That said, I do not want to give up my low key local river runs; back river, neponset, mystic, wier, etc

I was initially targeting the Tempest and have been eyeing the holdovers at EMS for a few seasons. As yet I haven't taken the plunge. But the Kodiak looks pretty nice too!

Thoughts?

Thanks Much!!!!
~Steve/Stu
kayakstew

Re: Prijon Kodiak 17 VS. WS Tempest 170

Post by kayakstew »

Also if anyone has suggestions on moving up from a 13feet to 17feet, I'd be open hearing them.

thanks again!
~steve
jkates

Post by jkates »

If you fit it you might look for a used Explorer or a Cetus. Used boats do a great job of holding their value.
As from going from a 13' to a 17' foot boat as long as you edge to turn you should be fine. Be safe and have fun with your new boat!
-Jason
Boats: Nigel Foster Shadow Yellow over White | Pyranha Everest Blue and White | P&H Qwest HV Yellow over White
cgr

Post by cgr »

The Tempest has a skeg and I believe that the Kodiak is available with a rudder. There are advantages to each, but you need to decide which you prefer. I find rolling and bracing easier to be easier with a skegged boat because the footpegs are locked in place, but there are boats with rudders that also lock in one part of your foot. The Tempest is a great boats, but so are the Capella's, Explorer, Chatham, etc.

Come up with a list of boats to demo and do that. Go to Billington Sea, Charles River, or elsewhere and try a bunch of boats out for an afternoon. Go to the upcoming Expo and at least sit in a bunch of boats.

Things to look for: How does the boat fit, and how easy is it to adjust the outfitting to lock you in comfortably? This is where you'll see a difference in the newer boats. It doesn't mean that you can't customize the outfitting, but in a lot of boats you can do it in minutes. As you progress you will probably want a tighter fit in the boat than you do initially.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

The Prijon seems like it would be a great expedition gear hauler, but maybe not the best day\play boat. The Tempest can hold a decent amount of stuff, but would be a little more playful for day and light touring use.

As others have already said, get out and demo some boats once the weather gets a little warmer....
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

THANKS ALL! Great feedback.

I am hoping to do some overnights on Bumpkin or Grape Island this summer and hopefully a Hull Southeast Coast run. However most of my paddling will be daytripping, afternnon/evening jaunts with a mix of hingham harbor, quincy bay and local creeks/rivers.

AGAIN Thank you!
~steve/stu
Todd

Post by Todd »

Paddling.net has kayak review pages. Here is the link. Your Prijon and Tempest both have over 40 reviews.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

I have no idea where Prijon's are manufactured, but I believe Confluence has outsourced most of the WS manufacture to China. Whatever you buy, don't buy anything made in China. There are plenty of good kayaks made in the US and Canada.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Some cool boats listed on the classifieds at paddling.net

http://www.paddling.net/Classifieds/for ... l&state=MA

The NDK Greenlander Pro seems like a good deal, and a few Valley boats as well...

Local add for the argonaut... http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/1610197618.html
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I've actually seen that argonaut on craigslist, it is very clean. He's been trying to sell it for over a year now.
If you buy a used tempest, make sure it hasn't banana'd by being stored badly.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »