Wilderness Systems Tsunami 170

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

Wilderness Systems Tsunami 170

Post by kayakstew »

Anyone have any experience in a Tsunami 170? How is it different that then Tempest? Is one better than the other (obviously better is a matter of perspective, though I'd like to hear your perspective). I do like the idea of the skeg a little better while I htink the Tsnumai has a rudder, the Tempest a skeg.

Thanks Much,
~stu
kayakerjnj

Re: Wilderness Systems Tsunami 170

Post by kayakerjnj »

I think the Tsunami will paddle great if your a big person, but will push more water. My Tempest has been a good solid all around boat, and a rolling machine. My personal preference is a skeg over a rudder, for several reasons;

1. Simplicity, its less complicated, safer hardware, not without its vulnerabilities if you beach your boat with it left down (Norwaylady :))
2. Re-inforces better paddling skills by adding tracking performance versus steering. We see far too many folks relying too heavily on a rudder for turning and steering, versus use for wind - weather cocking.

My last pet peave is it can be a dangerous piece of equipment when you are in the water handling the back of the boat during rescue scenarios. Its so easy to get cut manuvering around it in the water.

As always, paddle the boat and see what you like about it, how it fits, and think about what kinds of paddling you want to do with it.

Very soon, there will be some Thursday night Hingham activity, and no shortage of different boats to hop and try :)

Cheers!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

I think that the Tsunami is outfitted similar to my old cape horn. The seat pan is like the tempest seat with the available adjustments. But rather than a backband it has a backrest. The backrest will make it harder to layback if that is how you roll or brace. It can also be harder to do a reentry or at least have your skirt hang up on it.

For me it was easier to get a comfortable and snug fit in the Tempest than in the Cape Horn. I could have done some outfitting work on the Cape Horn, but I didn't like bracing with the rudder deployed so I sold it. My Tempest skeg did jam once or twice, but I also had deploying or raising the rudder. A couple of times a season I would have to disassemble the rudder and clean it out so it moved smoothly.(took maybe 10 minutes)

Charles river kayak should be open soon if they aren't already(Or aren't under water), so you can try them back to back.
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Hey there...

All good advice above. I'll give the perspective of someone who currently paddles a Tsumani 145 with a rudder. Most of the Tsunami line features pairings that seem to cover people of different sizes and weights. For example, my 145 is paired with a 140: the former is apparently for larger people (or campers hauling lots of gear) while the 140 is for normal to smaller people. I believe that the Tsunami 165/170 are similar in concept.

My experience:
1) I got these boats on an extremely good deal through my son who worked at EMS. I knew next to nothing about sea kayaking at the time, outside of a few simple excursions around here and lots of time on candy-colored sit-on-tops out in Hawaii (where my wife hails from.)

2) Had I known then what I seem to know now I would have a) Gotten a Tempest 165/170 for myself and b) Gotten the smaller Tsunami 140 for my wife. Alas.

3) I find that the Tsunami 145 is quite slow. Once I get up to a modest cruising pace it feels like I'm just plowing and pushing water ahead of me, rather than cutting through it. If you read the reviews on Paddling.net, you'll see that this is the most common negative comment about it.

4) The issue is obviously my relatively average size and weight. I'm not heavy enough to get the boat down to its optimal water line. Some extra ballast improves things at little, so I've been bringing lots of extra gear with me to weigh it down for marginally easier paddling. I still end up in "sweep" position on most WT trips though. :?

5) The bigger boats are great for camping though. So when I change up to something sleeker, longer, and faster I am keeping one of the Tsunamis for that purpose.

6) This is not to disparage the Tsunami. Its remarkably sea-worthy in energetic conditions. I've had a lot of fun. If all you want is a stable touring boat, the 165/170 might be the answer. But I would try some other boats first.

7) Finally...the rudder. The Tsunami needs it because it weathercocks noticeably. I try not to use it unless its in those conditions. The good news is that that the kayak turns quite nicely with proper leaning technique. I wonder if a skeg would have been more appropriate...but who knows. I have noticed that some kayak manufacturers are emphasizing rudders over skegs these days (QCC for example) but I'm definitely going with a skeg on the next kayak. Seems simpler...and as Jordan noted, it doesn't complicate rescues. Skegs seem to have their troubles too, of course. Actually, I'm quite intrigued by the design of the Surge...no rudder, no skeg...and apparently tracks great without either. Now THAT's simplicity.

When all is said and done, I believe that I quickly outgrew the Tsunami. Great boat for its purposes, but I definitely feel limited by it at this point. Might be different for a 170...and you. But I think you should do some comparisons.

My two cents and worth every penny.

Good luck.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

Thanks for the feedback. I do enjoy camping out of the kayak. And part of the reason I want a larger kayak is to get out to the harbor island for a few weekends.

Also I am 6ft 170lbs not what I would say as being expectionally large or for that matter a small paddler.

I ask since I have the opportunity to purchase an '05 Tsunami for $500 and it seems like a pretty hard deal to pass up. Boat was in solid shape all around, rudder worked fine. hatches seemed to fit though i wouldnt be shocked if they leaked a bit, bungies still had springin them. I have had my eyes on the Tempest though, just haven't found a used one in my price points. I already have two yaks (started with a sit on top I use for fishing, and a 13' sit in I like for paddling the rivers and estuaries) so with cash tied up in those I am having trouble justifying going "all-in" on a third.

Again THANKS!
cgr

Post by cgr »

For $500 I would imagine that you can turn around and resell it if it isn't the ideal boat for you. But a trip to Charles river kayak will let you try them both out side by side.

It looks like Charles river has kokatat drysuits for rental/demo now according to their website.