Camping on Boston Harbor Islands

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Camping on Boston Harbor Islands

Post by Briggsy »

Anyone know how busy the islands campsites get in the summer. Would I need to book well in advance or could I wait a week or two before I go???
Washburn Island in Falmouth, for example, is already nearly fully booked this early in the year
Cheers Dave
kayakstew

Re: Camping on Boston Harbor Islands

Post by kayakstew »

I just looked at Grape Island's reservations on ReserveAmerica and it looks like saturdays are filling up quickly, while mid-week it's wide open.

~stew
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get something mid week all summer long. Lovell's has a big grassy field next to the fort you can camp on.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Thanks, I am going to to be booking a mid week night in July and a mid week night in August, I'll post when I book in case anyone wants to share the site.
Cheers Dave
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

Is that grassy area on Lovells an actual camp site or overflow (for late arrivals)? Or would you suggest it's better for off season stays?

thanks
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I assume the grassy areas are for the big groups but somehow I don't expect too many big groups to be there mid week. It's well protected from the wind. If I remember correctly, the other sites are here and there along the rocky beach.

Here's what the website say.

Explore Lovells Island

Lovells Island—the nearest island to sites of legendary shipwrecks—is now a favorite for campers, with six smaller campsites (max. capacity 6 each) and two group campsites (max. capacity 50 each). You could spend days relaxing on a remote beach and nights listening to the sounds of the harbor. Take a swim on the ocean side (unsupervised). Tour the crumbling gun batteries, bunkers, and foundations of Fort Standish. Put on your water shoes and wade along a rocky beach or explore tidepools with views of the outer islands and Boston Light. Picnic on the shore or inland. Hike the rocky coastline.

When visiting this island travel direct from Hingham or Hull, or take a connecting ferry from Georges (summer only).

And here are a couple of pics of the area.

lovells1.jpg
lovells1.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 14327 times

lovells2.jpg
lovells2.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 14327 times
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I stayed on Lovells about 8 years ago and we camped on the closest end to Boston city skyline. There are a few secluded sites at that end. We went midweek in July I think and we had the entire island to ourselves. We were on the ferry from Hingham and Grape and Bumpkin looked like they were a lot busier with youth groups hence my original question. Lovells definitely had the more remote deserted feel about it than the other two.
JBernard

Post by JBernard »

Hi, long time lurker here.
It looks like they are not taking reservations for camping on the islands until late June. I was thinking about going next week. Does anyone know if you can camp there now without reservations? Why wouldn't they allow camping before June? Thanks.
P&H Capella 166 RM yellow
Valley Nordkapp LV mango over white
cgr

Post by cgr »

http://www.bostonislands.org/permits-reservations:

Call Massachusetts Department of Conservation & Recreation for off-season camping permits: 781-740-1605 x 205
JBernard

Post by JBernard »

Ah! Thanks.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I was just gonna say stealth camp, but getting a permit is definitely the way to go....
JBernard

Post by JBernard »

Certainly not above poaching a camp site :shock: but more than happy to get a permit if available.
rpw

Post by rpw »

Hi Everyone! Great to find this conversation!

I'm thinking about taking my niece and nephews (4 teenagers!) camping on the Harbor Islands in July. It doesn't look like Lovell's is available but Grape and Bumpkin are. I've been to Lovells but not the other two. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Also, how do people store food when they camp on the island? Are animals a problem?

Thanks for your help!
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Grape is nicer in my opinion but Bumpkin has some water front sites (if you're lucky).

Keep your food in your hatches there are some skunks and voles but nothing to much to worry about.