Interested in improving your paddling skills this season?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Johnysmoke

Interested in improving your paddling skills this season?

Post by Johnysmoke »

Since I'm going to be in the area this paddling season, I thought I'd make myself available as a resource for the Turkeys. For those of you who don't know me, I've been sea kayaking in the area for 5 or so years, I'm a certified ACA L4 open water instructor. I've also worked for [url]NOLS.edu[/url] as a sea kayaking instructor for the past 3 years, working 14 courses with them teaching beginners how to paddle and camp on month long expeditions. I want to keep my teaching skills up to date, so I'm willing to work for peanuts (and beer and bbq) and also put on some classes or clinics for free in the spirit of promoting sea kayaking. If anyone is interested we can work one on one, or as a group put together some workshops or classes. Overall this is going to be very informal, as its my first season doing this type of thing. There are several places on the South Shore that provide a great venue to work on paddling skills, from flat water to moving water, all in a fun and safe learning environment. My goal is to help people advance their sea kayaking skills, so they can get more out of their paddling.

I also encourage anyone to suggest some ideas, request classes, put together a clinic\workshop, or help out in whatever area they feel comfortable.

Some informal off water clinics I can teach:
    -Into to kayak camping; what gear to bring and how to pack it in your boat
    -Basic chart reading and navigation skills; staying found
    -Intro to sea kayaking; boats and gear
    -Route Planning

On water:
    -Core Strokes and skills; with an emphasis on maintaining proper form and structure to avoid injury
    -Forward
    -Revers paddling and stopping
    -Draws
    -sweeps and reverse sweeps
    -rudder and bow rudder
    -low brace and low brace turns
    -edging
    -boat handling and maneuvering
    -rescues
    -wet exits
    -solo
    -assisted
    -towing
    -Intro to moving water
    -eddy peels
    -ferrying
    -maybe a little "surfing"
    -rescues
    -Surfing a long boat
    -Rolling-for people who have a handle on the basics

Please post with requests/ideas/suggestions, or feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
    John M
    Last edited by Johnysmoke on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Chip

Re: Interested in improving on your paddling skills this season?

Post by Chip »

WOW! That would be awesome. Fellow Turkeys, this is a huge opportunity for instruction. Don't pass this up.

I could use a brushing up on navigation.
    An intro moving water
    rolling
    surfing
    I am sure i could use some help with advanced strokes

I'll do what I can to help.
    Current Designs Solstice GTS
    Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
    Dogpaddler

Re: Interested in improving on your paddling skills this season?

Post by Dogpaddler »

WOW is right. I would definitely be interested in this. Thanks Johnysmoke for this offer.
    Birdseye

Re: Interested in improving your paddling skills this season?

Post by Birdseye »

John,
    I think it's great that you're doing this. Could be a future in it for you.

I'm interested in learning or brushing up on most of what you mentioned.

Nelson
    P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
    noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Outstanding offer, John. If you could use some assistance - if you get a large group together or something - I'd volunteer to help. I'm sure there's plenty I can learn too.

NK
    NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi John.

Totally awesome. I am interested in introduction to moving water, kayak camping, try to roll - again!!!, plus all sorts of other stuff. My schedule is flexible as I am off from work until Oct 4th!! Week days are good as soon as the water warms up a little.

NorwayLady
    Bea
    Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
    kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Dr. Smoke,

Sounds great, I'd be happy to brush up on my skills and help out if you need an extra hand too :)
    Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
    Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I don't have any skills...so how can I brush up anything? :?

Seriously, great offer Dr. Smoke...and you really SHOULD think about using this as a "lab" for developing a professional service...or something.
    Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
    KAYAK KEN

Post by KAYAK KEN »

Your the man John!! I can use some of that knowledge and stuff you got! I will also be happy to help with anything that I can offer. Ken
    Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Like to get out in some surf with the ski and work on balance/recovery in those conditions. Heck, even tips heading out through a rolling surf with a gentle sloping sandy bottom would be cool. I've watched videos and read the tips, but haven't tried it yet.
    -B
    Epic V10S
    Necky Manitou 13
    Prijon Yukon Expedition
    Old Town Discovery 169
    PamRivers

Post by PamRivers »

Hi there, I'm new to the area and just bought my wonderful sea kayak from Pat and his lovely wife (thanks guys, I've been out twice already and going out again tomorrow) and would love to be part of any and all of workshops regarding rescue, skills, camping.... you name it, I'm interested. I've done a bunch of whitewater canoe and kayak camping and paddling but new to sea kayaking. I live right on Plymouth Harbor so my access is great and I have a hot tub for after paddling schmoozing.... lol. So please keep me in the loop? Do I need to do anything more than respond here?
    Todd

Post by Todd »

Johnney, I up for learning and BBQ/beer. I like the Little Harbor atmosphere, rock gardens, and water with texture. I'd like to practice and learn in those areas, as well as refine my techniques. Thanks John, let me know when you'd like to get together and what I can do to help you.

Todd
    Carolina Perception 14.5
    Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
    jkates

Post by jkates »

Todd wrote:Johnney, I up for learning and BBQ/beer. I like the Little Harbor atmosphere, rock gardens, and water with texture. I'd like to practice and learn in those areas, as well as refine my techniques. Thanks John, let me know when you'd like to get together and what I can do to help you.

Todd

It looks like Johnney will end up with a lifetime supply of BBQ/beer with this many people signing up for class.

-Jason
    Boats: Nigel Foster Shadow Yellow over White | Pyranha Everest Blue and White | P&H Qwest HV Yellow over White
    Jane

Post by Jane »

I am new to kayaking and would LOVE to learn everything. I'm looking for paddling companions as my husband has no interest in this sport. Also, looking to do some kayak camping once my skills improve a bit
    Rubberduckie

Post by Rubberduckie »

I'm interested-my goals this season are to work on refining my strokes and to improve my skills in surf and rocks. Plus I'd love to practice some rough water rescues this year. Willing to supply beer and food for a bar-b-que and/or to contribute $ for a group session.

Lorrie
    Cetus LV Lime/White/Yellow Trim
    Necky Jive Red/Blue
    lbeale

Post by lbeale »

Johnny--your the best--

Something tragic happened to me--was down the Yucatan with one of your fellow NOLS instructor (Leslie??? Do you know her???) and totally lost my roll--can't find it--gone--the wing paddle has me in state of confusion--I have developed my own roll--part hand, part sweep, part C and C--total madness which means no roll--

Need someone to spot me from the beginning--to start all over again (sob) but I will pay you for your time-

get in touch with me-here or at NSPN Board--

In case you don't remember me--we paddles together Falmouth with David Lewis on a raining day intended to go to the Vineyard--

Remember??? John Leonard, you, David and me ???? Also DrK's place down the Cape?????

Les
    AKA Swearing Ferret
    Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Thanks for all your replies, great to see lots of people interested!! I'm thinking maybe an on land intro to kayak camping gear workshop might be best to start out with, and then once the water warms up a little bit, getting out for a session to get the rust off and review all the basic strokes and edging.

I definitely appreciate all the offers for assistance, and will get in touch with those people when I get a schedule together. Also a few people have offered to teach their own clinic, such as Ken for forward stroke to name one. Maybe we could dig Doug up once he returns from afar, and maybe convince Kate to put on a Greenland demo for us. I know cgr might also help out/teach a rolling session once the water get warmer.

If people are interested in the camping workshop, we could start to get a list of dates together and see what would be convenient for everyone? The weekend of May 1st or 2nd would work well for me, or we could do it on a Monday or Weds night during the week. If there is a group paddle planned for that weekend, we could even do the workshop after the paddle where ever we happen to be, and maybe grill a little food before hand if the weather is conducive. If this sounds good for folks I can start a separate thread to help get things organized.

Thanks,

John M
    patmball

Post by patmball »

Please count me in for improving my skills. Not so much for learning about camping, but I need plenty of improvement in anything/everything.

Patmb
    Dick

Post by Dick »

Wow, that is a great offer! I'm interested in all of the topics. I've been sea kayaking for years but didn't get out much last season and could use some brushing up on my skills.

Dick
    csbrown

Post by csbrown »

Definitely interested. Thanks! :D
    Otter1

Post by Otter1 »

What a great idea! and a very generous offer!!!
    I am new to the Wild Turkeys and new to kayaking; just bought the accessories (paddle, life vest, car rack, wet suit, & misc) and waiting to try a few kayaks before buying. I have done some canoeing over the years...and joined AMC last fall and started hiking/and soon paddling with them.
    So I am game to learn/brush up on whatever is available! I took some seamanship/navigation courses with my dad wayyyy back in high school (with USPS), so I could sure use a refresher!
    I work 10 hr days, so I am off on Tues and alt Thurs, or weekends if you can schedule any time then.
    I am trying to get in shape for retirement in 3 years, and now I am a new grandma, so I need all the help I can get!
    I think I am entering my 2nd childhood <]:)