Sea Anchors?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Dick

Sea Anchors?

Post by Dick »

Does anyone have experience using sea anchors? I'm thinking about keeping the bow pointed into the wind when resting, having a snack or fishing. Any suggestions on how long the line should be, methods of retrieval, materials? Thanks in advance.

Dick
kayakerjnj

Re: Sea Anchors?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi,

A buddy I work with uses a parachute style anchor while fishing, he seems to like it. While it doesn't lock you in place it seems to give him enough time in a locations to get as many casts as he's looking to make.

I'd stay away from a bottom anchor, as it will likely get caught up and exceed the load you can impart without tipping yourself.

Good luck!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not looking for a bottom anchor but something like a parachute. I found an article on a Chesapeake Bay paddling website on how to make your own. I thought Adam B. might have some ideas. Anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Dick
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks for the info., Pat. I sent him an email.

Dick
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

Hi Dick,

I have a couple of sea anchors from old 6 man liferafts that I junked after using for safety at sea demonstrations. They look about the right size for a kayak and you are welcome to one. They were (thankfully) never used. They are typical liferaft sea anchors, conical rip stop type nylon about 24" wide and maybe 28" long. I will only ever use one so you are welcome to one if you want to try it out. Either pick one up at one of the Thursday night sessions or shoot me a private message with an address and I will mail one to you.

Cheers,

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Cell: 617 460 5210
Epic 18x
Current Designs Extreme HV