Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Night paddle

Post by pat »

From another thread...

Aimee Southworth wrote:Hey everyone!

After seeing Ron's sunset photos (nice!).....I'd definitely say that seeing the sunset beats the dark! Norm, I joined the AMC group for the night paddle. It was fun using headlamps and deck lights....and seeing the Boston skyline glowing in the distance. Also loved the moonlight on the water and the starlight sky....no doubt, it was fun being on the water at night.....but it would have been 10 times more fun if the Turkey's had joined in!!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone...hopefully soon!
Aimee

That AMC night trip looked like fun. I was tempted to join you, but A) I'm not an AMC member, and B) I was desperate for food, and a 23-oz Harpoon was getting lonely waiting for me. (Ok, so 'B' was the deciding factor...)

I've been wanting to go on a night paddle for some time, but I'd actually forgotten about it, and I'd like to put something together like that. I don't know if it should be a one-time replacement for a regular Thursday night paddle. Since the sunsets are getting shorter, it might not be a bad idea. We could go to Stars and do that first. Oh, wait a minute... maybe that isn't such a good idea.

One thing that occurred to me is that at night, most of the scenery is going to be invisible (World's End, the islands, etc.), so I was thinking that maybe it might be more interesting if we paddled in an area with more civilization. The first place that pops into my mind would be launching from Abigail Adams and paddling out past where the water shuttle launches, or maybe north of there. It'd be interesting to see that area at night.

Anyone interested?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
cgr

Re: Night paddle

Post by cgr »

Pat - you don't need to be an AMC member in order to paddle with them.

Jordan, Norm, Ken, & I did a paddle at dusk a couple of yrs ago. I think that going from Hingham Harbor to USS Salem and back would be good at night, and out of any traffic for most of it.

Or perhaps Duxbury bay?
norm

Post by norm »

I would be interested in a night paddle again. (I bought a deck light at the NSRWA show and have not used it yet.)

I vote for staying away from any areas with boat traffic. The suggestion by Chris sounded ok....or somewhere different....

I'm on-call for work this week, so I won't be paddling anywhere till next week.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I'd suggest going from the windmill out by the high school in Hull, run the short crossing across the gut, then paddle the West side of Peddocks, and come back the way you came. A little more traffic in the gut, but people are usually on the lookout (hopefully) when they run through there. Great views of Boston from out on those Islands at night, and you can hit Schooners in Hull on the way back for a ppr and food. Or Joe's Nautical Bar is pretty cool too, and you could probably just paddle in and out of there. http://www.josnautical.com/index.html

www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3986514
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I'm in!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Full Moon at the Sandspit paddles always include a night paddle portion of the trip, and under a full moon! (And usually no boat traffic either, because it is low tide.)

Next month, the full moon is on the Autumnal Equinox, and on a Thursday!

Low tide is 6:40 PM, sunset is 6:40 PM and moonrise is 6:25 PM!

Pray for good weather!
Aimee Southworth

Post by Aimee Southworth »

A night paddle sounds GREAT! When I did the trip with the AMC group, we had planned to stop off somewhere in Hull for dinner....but paddled too far past it....and it got too late. I love the idea of paddling in the moonlight, and stopping for a mid-p-r! Count me in, whatever the agenda.

The next full moon night looks to be Sept. 23rd...is that too far away?....or might that me a good date for everyone? Someone also told me that it's a fun night paddle along the Charles River in Boston or in Boston Harbor....with dinner at The Barking Crab?? Anyone done those paddles at night? If you all want to come up my way to Boston.....I'd be happy to put some food together....and I know Pat loves my fruit salads.....

Taking off with my kids this weekend....back on Labor Day. Hoping that the WT's keep paddling in the upcoming months....

Aimee
Gary

Post by Gary »

There is a new Sea Dog beer pub at the "A" st marina in Hull. this would be just past Bumpkin

Gary
W.S. Cape Horn 17 Pro
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Been to Sea Dog. Not bad but the service was a little slow. Nice view from the deck. Beer selection if pretty good.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Aimee Southworth

Post by Aimee Southworth »

Hey Pat and all -

Just checking to see if you're still planning a night paddle. I had mentioned the 23rd in a previous post - but am thinking that weeknights are hard for me to commit to - due to homework/the school season. Still very happy to supply hors d'oeuvres and/or whatnot...just wondering if you might possibly consider Sunday the 26th of Sept. If a weeknight is best for everyone...I will try my best to get there!

Aimee
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

I would also be interested in a group night paddle in September. Like Aimee, weekends are more convenient for me, though (as a relative newbee here) I will try to make whichever date that you folks determine to be the best.

Augh! my weekends in Spetember are filling up, there are two events that some of you may find interesting; the Blue Hills Lifeisgood music festival (9/11 & 12) & the EMS Nor'Easter (9/24-25).

Great Suggestion on the evening paddle!
~Stu/Steve

links:
http://www.lifeisgood.com/festivals/
--> Weekend & day passes to Prowse Farm (Just pass Houghtons Pond)
--> Benefits children's charities via lifeisgood
http://www.noreasterems.com/
--> Music festival with an outdoor activities and conservation focus (and selling you stuff i am sure)
--> Free on site camping (park & pitch)
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

I'd love a moonlight paddle!
Norm, Lora, hubby Tom and I did the spit last year and it was beautiful!
Low tide/moonrise all have to line up for that one though.

I'll be looking for a Fri. or Sat. paddle- no "school the next am" paddles for me.
Last paddle I did with you took me 2 hrs to get back to Sudbury- (darn 128 traffic!) But, it was worth it!

I sure miss you guys!

Barb
Avocet LV Orange/White
Cetus LV Black/White w Red trim
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Ok, after reading the posts, I think it's going to be impossible to make everyone happy, so I'm going to pick a date that might suit the largest fraction of the group. I know that several turkeys are headed to Maine on Saturday, Sep 25, so that weekend is out. Also, I appreciate that many really can't stay out late on a school night (full moon is on Thursday).

So I'd suggest we try Saturday, Sep 18. High tide is a little before 9pm, which works out nicely.

Like I said in the first post, I'd prefer paddling near places that are lit up - civilization - as opposed to things like the islands, which will be nothing but black mounds in front of a nearly black background. If possible, I'd like to try to keep away from the shipping lanes and the middle of the harbor where there might be powerboats running faster than an idle.

And while stopping at a restaurant/bar midway in the trip has a nice feeling of adventure to it, I'd feel a little uncomfortable leaving my boat unattended someplace at night. Especially if Aimee's willing to cater the affair. :D

I don't have an exact route planned yet. I'd like to talk to a few people and look at some maps. Right now, I'm leaning toward a launch from Abigail Adams, paddling a little of that area and then head north. But I've never done that, even in the day, so I need to get the lay of the land (and sea) first.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Jan Seery

Post by Jan Seery »

Dang. I'm definitely "gonna need a bigger boat" :cry:
/jms
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

I launch from Abigail Adams quiet often and have headed both south and north from that starting point. Usually I stop at Hewitts Cove for a short break or Barre Cove when heading south. There can be some significant boater action in the area, particularly on the weekends. On the upside until you get out to the river mouth it is a No Wake Zone. Also the Boston commuter ferry does come right through there (not sure the hours it'll run till, particularly on weekends) stopping at the ol'hingam shipyard. Once you get out to Webb State Park there is a shipping lane/channell right there, between Grape & Webb SP. I imagine a weekend nite in mid-september will have much less traffic.

The least trafficy route launching from Abigail Adams might be to paddle close to shore along Stoddards Neck to Hewitts Cove and then east around Crow Point toward Hingham Harbor. That way you are close to shore and the lights.

Couple of things to think about: (regarding Abigial Adams)
1. Returning to Abigial Adams on a dead low tide can mean a muddy haul back to shore.
2. The parking area at Abigail Adams, has a locking gate. (though I have NEVER seen it locked)

On a side note:
I have heard rumors of a boat launch that can be used in back of the new EMS (there's a marina right there) and there seems to be plenty of parking there. Anyone ever launch from there?

Happy Paddling!
~Stew