WINTER PADDLING :: Has anyone been paddling recently?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

WINTER PADDLING :: Has anyone been paddling recently?

Post by kayakstew »

I was curious if there are any 4-season paddlers amongst the Turkeys.

And if so:
>> Has anyone been out lately?
>> What solutions do you have for keeping your feet and hands warm (and dry)?
>> Do you folks plan "winter" trips at all?

I have a dry suit but haven't been on the water to test it out...

Thanks All,
~Stu
cgr

Re: WINTER PADDLING :: Has anyone been paddling recently?

Post by cgr »

I have a drysuit with attached booties, so warm socks and sometimes one size up on the booties on the outside.

I have mittens and pogies for my hands. I usually find myself using the mittens. Both of them still let you get a good grip on the paddle. For me at least heavy gloves with precurved fingers are not as comfortable as mittens or pogies. I like the NRS toaster mitts & Level Six mitts. If you get the Level Six mitts, try and get the ones with kevlar reinforcement.

I also have a neoprene skull cap that I wear under my helmet. If you don't plan to get wet a wool or fleece hat may be sufficient.

If you've never been in cold water before it's not a bad idea to try going for a swim at the put in. It will help give you an idea if your layers inside the drysuit are sufficient.

I have been out most weekends and have been comfortable. I even went for a swim a couple of weeks ago and stayed warm(but not completely dry).
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Still getting out, never stopped getting out, got out today in fact. Been great paddling lately, lots of "texture" and opportunities to play on the bumps. I prefer post labor day paddling, hardly anyone out on the water, the harbors all practically empty of boats, the seals come back in close to land, and did I mention the bump?

All of Chris's advice is spot on, I use pretty much the same setup, as I also have a dry suit with booties. Just got a pair of NRS Maverick gloves that are fairly thin, but still warm, and will use poagies in conjunction when it gets really cold. For layers under my dry suit, right now and for the past month or so, I've been using a lightweight base layer t-shirt under a long sleeve mid weight top, and then a one piece fleece suit. You could just use a fleece top and fleece pants instead. I might start adding a few more layers when it gets really cold, but don't want to end up like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I also always bring a big thermos of hot tea, a big "cag" to throw over everything when I take breaks, and lots of high calorie snacks to keep the engine running.

Stu, what kind of dry suit do you have? Does it have booties or ankle cuffs? Stu, or anyone else, if you want to go for a short paddle around Hingham Harbor sometime to get a feel for cold weather paddling, let me know, I'd be more than willing to take you out. The addition of the dry suit and all the gear changes the kinesthetics of paddling, and cold water has different effects on people, so its best to get a feel for all this before heading for the Graves. Also best to paddle with a group, and keep it conservative; going for a swim, even with the dry suit, can be quite an experience.

Some photos (thanks Kate) taken at a mid-November New Inlet "skills" session, might have been one or two four footers which came through that day ;)

kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great pictures! Looking good Dr. Smoke!!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Thanks man, you should come out sometime, been some good surf around lately...