Hanson Pond Sessions

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Mark

Hanson Pond Sessions

Post by Mark »

Hi: This will be our third year of doing the informal skills sessions at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson. All are welcome regardless of skill levels. We all just show up and mess around in our boats, helping each other learn new skills and practice old ones. Work on that roll, try new rescue techniques, work on strokes, leaning, bracing. try out each others' boats - all the stuff you never end up doing when you go for a paddle, but know you should or want to.

These sessions are on Thursday evenings from around 6 o'clock until we get cold, tired, or it gets dark. Then we usually go down the street for food and post-paddle refreshments.

I'm thinking of starting these up in a couple weeks on May 25th. Sunset will be after 8PM by then, and the air and water temps should be moderate.

The sessions are free, parking is free, and the water is nice and clean and boat-free (except for us).

Right now, I'm trying to gauge interest in starting these up the last Thursday in May. Please let me know if you are interested in coming.

Thanks,

Mark
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Mark,

I'm interested... when I can make it
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am also interested whenever I can make it.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I'm definitely interested. The question is whether I can get down to Hanson in time...but I'm going to make it to some of them, at least.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks Mark,

I'm in too... at least twice a month.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Ron

Post by Ron »

I can use some work. I should be able to make some sessions.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm interested Mark.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok, great everyone, but specifically I was trying to see if anyone wanted to start as soon as the last Thursday in May.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'm off work the following day so I would do my best to try and make it. About 90% sure.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Mark:

I definitely will be attending some. The Hanson location will require some logistical planning for me to make a reasonably timely appearance. That is I will need to schedule time off work in advance and coordinate that with my car pool passenger (SWMBO).

I don't think I can make it on May 25th but will try and make at least two each in June & July (August too if the practice continues).

Directions (or an address so I can Map Quest) to Camp Kiwanee from the north would be appreciated.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Mark

Directions

Post by Mark »

Craig: Here is a link that you can get directions from:
<a href="http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Camp+Kiwanee+Road,+Hanson+MA&ll=42.062739,-70.854435&spn=0.022048,0.067291&om=0">Directions</a>

Mark
jkates

Re: Directions

Post by jkates »

Mark wrote:Craig: Here is a link that you can get directions from:

Mark

If your local to Hanson I would recommend taking Mark up on the skills sessions, Mark is a great person to kayak with. Hanging out with Mark will improve most anybody's kayak skills, I know he has helped mine a ton.

If I was closer I would be attending the Hanson sessions.
-Jason
Mark

Aww, shucks...

Post by Mark »

Thanks, Jason. The check is in the mail... :lol:

When are you coming out surfing with us again?

Mark
jkates

Re: Aww, shucks...

Post by jkates »

Mark wrote:Thanks, Jason. The check is in the mail... :lol:

When are you coming out surfing with us again?

Mark

Mark if you recall, you brought me out on trips when nobody else would paddle with me. I might have gotten you worried with a few near capsizes in the beginning but my skills improved as we paddled together.

To date I think that I have logged more miles with you than anybody else. If your still thinking of the Long Island circumnavigation or Montuck to Block island I have a boat and charts. It is still before the tourists invade and make problems. I will even get a fishing rod before the trip(s)

Are you looking to do any log boat surfing anytime soon or is that just too easy for you?

I had a great day in the long boat up in Essex today. Surfing Essex bay between Castle neck and Coffins Beach. The rain was a drag but the water was worth it, nice big long rides. I was supposed to be up at 3* training but that got called due to the weather.

As for the short boat, I need more skills or a new boat... (Guessing a new boat isn't going to be the fix). I would be glad to join you in some Class II+ or possibly low Class III in the short boat. :D

If the rain keeps up some streets might pass as Class II or lakes depending on the grade. Just think of the paddling possibilities.
-Jason
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jason wrote:

Are you looking to do any log boat surfing anytime soon or is that just too easy for you?

No, definitely not "too easy", just a completely different sport. Surfing logs is definitely much harder than surfing kayaks. :)

I had a great day in the long boat up in Essex today. Surfing Essex bay between Castle neck and Coffins Beach. The rain was a drag but the water was worth it, nice big long rides.

Wasn't it like 8-9 foot waves yesterday? :shock:
jkates

Post by jkates »

Mark wrote:Jason wrote:

No, definitely not "too easy", just a completely different sport. Surfing logs is definitely much harder than surfing kayaks. :)

I had a great day in the long boat up in Essex today. Surfing Essex bay between Castle neck and Coffins Beach. The rain was a drag but the water was worth it, nice big long rides.

Wasn't it like 8-9 foot waves yesterday? :shock:

The water was definitely big water and big fun I had the best ride of my life yesterday. I don't know about 8-9 foot seas. I will check with the group on the wave size I was guessing 6 foot.

-Jason
brianjs4

Post by brianjs4 »

Interested here, save me a few bucks , I was thinking of taking a few classes at Charles River Kayak...
BigWingBoy

Post by BigWingBoy »

Hi Mark,

We finally brought the boats home! We both want to attend the Hanson Skill meets. 'Looking forward to meeting with you all!

Gene Harriman
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Last edited by BigWingBoy on Wed May 31, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surge_on

Question

Post by Surge_on »

My wife and I would like to do something like this since we need all the practice we can get, but we've always been a little skittish about lake water. Being in Abington, it's hard to pass up. How clean is clean?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I don't have any test numbers, but it certainly seems clean to me. It doesn't look at all murky. There's a camp right there for children, so I'd like to think that the people running the camp would test the water from time to time.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Mark

How Clean is Clean?

Post by Mark »

It is also the Hanson Town Beach, so the water is tested regularly. No motors are allowed, so pollutants are not routinely introduced that way. Let's just say that I probably roll kayaks hundreds of times a year in that pond and swim there with my daughter regularly and we've never had any ill effects.

Now, if a bunch of Wild Turkeys start invading the place, I make no more promises! :D
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Mark,
Are you planning on being at Hanson this Thursday?

Nelson
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nelson - With all the cold weather we have had, the pond is still pretty cold. I think we should give it another week, anyway. Starting first week of June just SOUNDS warmer.

I expect to be heading to the Cape on Thursday after work, and with the long weekend coming up, I suspect most people's minds are on other things as well.

See you next week, then?

Mark
Mark

Pond Sessions Starting Tomorrow Night, June 1

Post by Mark »

Pond Sessions will be starting Tomorrow Night, June 1 around 6PM (or earlier) and until dusk. The water temperature in the pond is up to 70 degrees at "rolling depth", and there were children and adults swimming there this afternoon.

Hope to see some of you there.

Mark
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I should be there.

Nelson
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Mark, if you want to write up a little blurb on the sessions, I'll put together a permanent page and put a link to it on the wtpadders home page.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Won't be making it tonight. But I will be getting down there for some sessions later in the Summer.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Is this happening this thursday?? Or is there the Hingham Harbor paddle?? Would like to go to one or the other, if any are happening...
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Johnysmoke wrote:Is this happening this thursday?? Or is there the Hingham Harbor paddle?? Would like to go to one or the other, if any are happening...

I know at least 2 of us will be there, a possible third and most likely a fourth.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Johnnysmoke,

Check the Recent Events page on this website's Homepage and a tentative schedule will be posted (Thursday night). It appears that this Thursday is a Hanson pond session due to low tides at Hingham Harbor.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Sue and I will be going. Next Hingham Harbor Paddle is next week (6/22).
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

I plan to be there.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Chip

Post by Chip »

This should be my last busy Thursday so I hope to be there next time.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
John O'Connor

Re: Hanson Pond Sessions

Post by John O'Connor »

Mark wrote:Hi: This will be our third year of doing the informal skills sessions at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson. All are welcome regardless of skill levels. We all just show up and mess around in our boats, helping each other learn new skills and practice old ones. Work on that roll, try new rescue techniques, work on strokes, leaning, bracing. try out each others' boats - all the stuff you never end up doing when you go for a paddle, but know you should or want to.

These sessions are on Thursday evenings from around 6 o'clock until we get cold, tired, or it gets dark. Then we usually go down the street for food and post-paddle refreshments.

I'm thinking of starting these up in a couple weeks on May 25th. Sunset will be after 8PM by then, and the air and water temps should be moderate.

The sessions are free, parking is free, and the water is nice and clean and boat-free (except for us).

Right now, I'm trying to gauge interest in starting these up the last Thursday in May. Please let me know if you are interested in coming.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm very interested in joining your group. Will you be there every THursday?

John O'Connor
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I know that Mark doesn't check in as regularly as some of us, so I'll say that yes, weather permitting, there will be a session there every Thursday night.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
John O'Connor

Post by John O'Connor »

Thanks. I'll try for next Thursday night.

John O'Connor
Mark

Tonight

Post by Mark »

Hi Guys, Yes, looks like the weather will be OK tonight. Just a note that the town beach officially opened today and they close at six. No boats on the beach until the lifeguards are gone at least. There is a small ramp on the right side that is fine for launching kayaks.

See you there,

Mark
audreyb

hanson pond sessions

Post by audreyb »

hi, i'm new to the group....sounds interesting...can always learn something...but where is camp kiwanee :?: need an address to map quest from brockton...thanks!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

<a href="http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Camp+Kiwanee+Road,+Hanson+MA&ll=42.062739,-70.854435&spn=0.022048,0.067291&om=0">Here is a map.</a>
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Sorry I missed you guys last night. I was on the fence about going all day because my lower back is still tight from the ride this past weekend. As I was driving home in the pouring rain last evening, I convinced myself to bail (no pun intended). Even though the sun was out by the time I got home, I was already mentally committed to doing something else.

Nelson, do you roll the new "ride'?