Unearth the Boston Harbor Islands Lecture in Hull October 13

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

lora925

Unearth the Boston Harbor Islands Lecture in Hull October 13

Post by lora925 »

I saw this in the Hull Times the other day and thought some of you might be interested.

from: http://www.hullchamber.com/calendar/sho ... y=2011&w=1

Date: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 7:30 PM

Bathhouse Lecture: Unearth the Boston Harbor Islands
with DCR Archaeologist, Ellen Berkland

Thursday, October 13th, 7:30 pm
Mary Jeanette Murray Bathhouse, Nantasket Beach
Free, Donations Welcome

Ellen_Berkland_on_island

Celebrate Massachusetts Archaeology Month with a presentation on the archaeology of the Boston Harbor Islands. The islands have been peopled for thousands of years and are still home to a number of communities. Come learn about the artifacts left behind over the centuries, and the fascinating stories these artifacts tell.

Ellen Berkland is a wealth of information about Boston Harbor history, and her enthusiasm for her subject is highly contagious!

Presented by the Hull Lifesaving Museum, the Friends of the Hull Public Library, and the Department of Conservation and Recreation.
lora925

Re: Unearth the Boston Harbor Islands Lecture in Hull Octobe

Post by lora925 »

This turned out to be an excellent lecture. If you ever get a chance to hear Ellen Berkland speak at another event I highly recommend you jump at the opportunity. Tonight's lecture was recorded for later airing on Hull community TV so perhaps one of you Hullonians can keep any eye out for it and let us know when it will air. Who knows, perhaps it will turn into a flock party.

Anyway, Ellen is heading out to do some more digging at Peddocks in the next week or two and is looking for volunteers. I will post more information when it becomes available. Also she is working for DCR now and said they plan to open a camp ground out there (Peddocks) next spring with Yurts and tent platforms and with major archeological discovers marked for self tours.

I took six pages of notes and will try to post some interesting tid bits at a later date. For now I will leave you with the first one.

If I heard right (I ended up in the back - long story) approximately 18000 years ago there were no harbor islands yet and one could walk from Boston to George's Bank.
norm

Post by norm »

Sorry I missed it. Needed an evening of rest in the lazyboy chair.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Norm
Chip

Post by Chip »

lora925 wrote:This turned out to be an excellent lecture. If you ever get a chance to hear Ellen Berkland speak at another event I highly recommend you jump at the opportunity. Tonight's lecture was recorded for later airing on Hull community TV so perhaps one of you Hullonians can keep any eye out for it and let us know when it will air. Who knows, perhaps it will turn into a flock party.

Anyway, Ellen is heading out to do some more digging at Peddocks in the next week or two and is looking for volunteers. I will post more information when it becomes available. Also she is working for DCR now and said they plan to open a camp ground out there (Peddocks) next spring with Yurts and tent platforms and with major archeological discovers marked for self tours.

I took six pages of notes and will try to post some interesting tid bits at a later date. For now I will leave you with the first one.

If I heard right (I ended up in the back - long story) approximately 18000 years ago there were no harbor islands yet and one could walk from Boston to George's Bank.

Sounds like a great talk. I guess global warming started 18000 years ago. lol.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Chip wrote:
lora925 wrote:This turned out to be an excellent lecture. .....

Sounds like a great talk. I guess global warming started 18000 years ago. lol.

Evidence suggests it did, as that was near the end of the last ice age :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_glacial_period

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things