kayaking medical kits

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

josko
antispam: No

kayaking medical kits

Post by josko »

If anyone's got a medical kit in their kayak that they're happy with, I'l love to know it's contents. I carry a hodge-podge of first aid 'stuff' I intend to replace by augmenting a basic first-aid kit, such as Adventure Medical Ultralight Pro. The question is what kayaking-specific things one ought to add to it. Has anyone run across a reference for a sea kayak-specific first aid kit?
noseykate

Re: kayaking medical kits

Post by noseykate »

I use a standard light-and-small backpacking kit. I'm trying to remember what I've ever used out of it. Certainly band-aids. Tweezers. Ibuprofen.

Oh, I also have a set of waterproof flashcards with basic first-aid instructions: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... fety:cards
Unfortunately the link for purchase doesn't currently offer them. Something of that sort would be very handy though.

Dramamine would be good to have.

Here's a link that might help: http://www.paddleworld.com/first-aid-kayak.php

NK
cgr

Post by cgr »

pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

I carry a "major problem" first aid kit in a small pelican box. Contents from memory are a gloves and CPR mask for BSI, OB tampons for blood control, couple pieces of gauze, some waterproof first aid tape, benadryl, aspirin, tweezers, safety razor safely stored, large cravat for shoulder slings and a couple of strips of double sided velcro for building a splint. Around the box I've wrapped some electrical tape (sticks nicely to itself, but not skin) and a SAM splint. I also carry gloves/BSI mask/tampons/bandaids & electrical tape in my PFD pocket for immediate use on the water.

If I'm on a multi day trip, I plan to add elastic wrap for treating sprains/strains, more personal meds (anti- nausea, -vomiting, -diarrhea, advil, benadryl), Liquid tears (saline only) for eye issues, needle for splinters, better scissors and some water treatment drops.

While it looks like a large list, the day stuff fits in a 9x5x4 inch box.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
mtnbiker26
antispam: No

Post by mtnbiker26 »

I know this is a bit off topic but I just recently learned it and found it pretty informative so I figured it couldn't hurt to share. I'm also currently reading "98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" by Cody Lundin so I'm getting the safety/rescue thing pounded into my head right now. I'm in the process of assembling my own kit.

Last week I took a trip leader course at Osprey in Westport and the instructor had a saying which summed it up pretty well: "Things to fix people and things to fix boats". Sunburn, blisters and cuts are the most common injuries so he carries the basics like band-aids, sunblock and electrical tape (sticks when wet) in his PFD and then a more comprehensive first aid kit in a dry bag in the hatch. Consider creating a separate survival kit/ditch kit or adding matches, tinder (vaseline soaked cotton balls burn for a few minutes), survival/space blanket, water disinfection tabs or iodine, and a gallon size Ziploc freezer bag to collect/store water to your first aid kit. Dehydration and hypo/hyperthermia are statistically the biggest killers so collecting/disinfecting water and making a fire are paramount in a typical 72 hour rescue/survival scenario.

As far as the "fixing boats" part...Lost hatch covers (they don't float) and punching a hole in the boat are the most likely issues. Quality duct tape, heavy trash bags can be used to patch holes. The bags can also be inflated and stuffed into the hatch to displace water and provide buoyancy. The instructors demonstrated a damaged boat scenario where a t-rescue was performed and the swimmer climbed onto the rescuer's front deck. Sitting face to face with the damaged boat between them got the swimmer out of the water and allowed two sets of hands to make the repair quickly.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Not that you would bring it out in the field, but the NOLS first aid book is currently free for the kindle(or kindle app)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004WQSM5 ... sm_1_fb_lk
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I agree on the two first aid kits I always carry one in my hatch in a drybag and a small on in my lifevest pocket
Joseph
Cetus LV