Slocums River to Allens Pond - Saturday, July 7th - 9:00am

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Slocums River to Allens Pond - Saturday, July 7th - 9:00am

Post by norm »

Looking at the weekend weather forecast, it looks great for Saturday morning till late afternoon, so I want to take advantage and get out paddling in case Sunday turns into a washout.

I'd like to try a trip to find Allens Pond from Buzzards Bay. We'll start at the top of Slocums River at Russel Mills Landing, paddle out into Buzzards Bay and west around Barneys Joy Point and search for the inlet to Allens Pond. I assume it is only accessible around high tide time which is at 11:30am. If we can get into the pond, we'll take a quick spin around and then come back out and land on Little Beach for a lunch break. After lunch we'll head back the way we came and may get some wave action and possibly rough water at the mouth of the river.

(I thought about launching at Gooseberry Neck, but I have not been there before and don't want to get stuck in Route 88, Horseneck Beach traffic on the way home. I know the Russel Mills Landing and Slocums River are nice and will be a good warm-up before getting out into Buzzards Bay.)

The distances roughly are: 3.5 miles to the mouth of the river, 3 more miles to the Allens Pond inlet, 2 to 4 miles in Allens Pond, then 6.5 miles back to the put-in after the lunch break. So, the total trip distance could be anywhere from 13 to 17 miles depending on whether we find the opening to Allens Pond and how much exploring people want to do in the pond or playing in the surf at the mouth of the river.

Meet at 9:00am at Russells Mills Landing in Dartmouth. (Last year, there was a convenient porta-potty at the park beside the launch ramp for those travelling a little distance.)
Here is a Google Map link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.568871,-71.005338&ll=41.568614,-71.005025&spn=0.003046,0.006845&num=1&t=h&z=18
Also, an address that should get you close on a car GPS is 50 Horseneck Road, Dartmouth, MA.

Plan to launch at 9:30.

We will have the tide against us on the way out and on the return, so that adds a little effort to the trip.

The lunch break could be long or short depending on the time spent in Allens Pond and how the clouds look as far as the late afternoon thunderstorms are concerned. Hopefully there will be plenty of time for a swim and a rest on the sand.

Hope to be back at the take-out at 4:00pm or earlier.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with bulkheads front and back as well as a spray skirt.
Ability to paddle 13 to 18 miles and handle rough water at the mouth of the river.
Bring lunch, snacks, plenty of water and sun screen.

Please reply if you plan to attend.

Norm

Here is a Google Earth picture of the area with the proposed track highlighted in red.

Slocums_Allens.jpg
Slocums_Allens.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 21838 times
centered
antispam: No

Re: Slocums River to Allens Pond - Saturday, July 7th - 9:00

Post by centered »

I'm in, see you in the a.m.
Sue
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Sounds great.
See you in the AM
Sandy
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hi Norm, paddled to Allen's Pond many times (in the family so-to-speak). There is a nice launching area in Damarest Lloyd State Park. Yes, they allow kayaks. Parking is free for MA residents of 62 years or older. Free for guests traveling in senior's car. Anyways, be aware that the pond's entrance is known for its surf. Bea should come. Actually, depending on the tide, the surf can be really great because it has a long, sustained breaking run. On the average around 2- 3 feet with a fairly good undertow. Just inside and to the right of the entrance is a really nice beach for lunch.

Can't miss the entrance, just look for the surf. Stay way left of the breaking surf for an easier ride in.
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Oooohhh, surf. I'm in! See you there, Russel Mills Landing 9am!

Yeah, Bea should come with us.
Barb
norm

Post by norm »

gifallen wrote:There is a nice launching area in Damarest Lloyd State Park. Yes, they allow kayaks. Parking is free for MA residents of 62 years or older. Free for guests traveling in senior's car.

Thanks for the info Gif - glad to hear it will be easy to find. And 9 years from now I'll get to park for free - that's good news!
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

I'm going to park for free and meet you guys at the entrance. Take advantage of the beautiful area.
norm

Post by norm »

gifallen wrote:I'm going to park for free and meet you guys at the entrance. Take advantage of the beautiful area.

You're going to park at the Allens Pond entrance or at Demarest Lloyd? I'll try to remember to turn on my marine radio to channel 69 if you want to reach us that way tomorrow.
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

I'll be at Damarest Lloyd. Will probably get there early to beat the crowds, and so I can park nearer the beach. I do not have a VHF radio. Got tired of replacing the nicads. My kayak is yellow. Not too many yellow kayaks around (ha ha).
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Actually it's Mango !
norm

Post by norm »

Ok Gif, we'll watch for you. It'll be good to see you. I always like to hear all the local history you have about the area.
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I went to Russell Mills last week, and just to let you all know the port-potty was absolutely disgusting (and that is by guy standards), so I suggest you take care of business before arriving.

Put me down as a "maybe" for this trip, Norm. I had today off (sorry to those of you who did not), and spent the day paddling on Boston Harbor. So, I may be too dead tomorrow to paddle, or maybe not...
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

That porta potty has been like that for years. It's all that money down there.
Azane

Post by Azane »

Have to say no! but interested in the future.
Abby and Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hey Norm, keep your cell phone handy until you launch. I'll be out at Damarest and will info you on conditions. Suppose to get a bit breezy today
norm

Post by norm »

Well, we're getting closer to a safe group...at least one person brought a helmet today for playing in the surf...too bad she never wore it.

IMGP4266.JPG
IMGP4266.JPG (84.33 KiB) Viewed 21766 times

Thanks for coming out today everybody. It was a nice day. Sorry the surf was so tame.

Next time I think I'd skip the river trip like Gif suggested and just launch at Demarest Lloyd State Park. I've seen the river enough times now.

Thanks for attracting all the green-head biting flies Sue. Very good of you to keep them away from the rest of us! :D

Sorry you couldn't make it Bea. :( We had most of the features you asked for except the water where we stopped for lunch was a little chilly for rolling practice. It seemed warmer on the outside of the sand bar where most of us took a dip and some of us tried body surfing the waves.

Norm
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Good action photo, Norm.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

gifallen wrote:Good action photo, Norm.

Agree! Totally awesome shot, Norm. Sounds like you had a great day.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Norm, SEM/AMC is doing Allens Pond 8/22. We're leaving from Damarest Llyod park. We could probably get you and Bea (with helmet) in free.
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

It was a fun day again. And I love the picture!
flabo

Post by flabo »

I just missed this trip by a day, and it sounds like it was really worth doing. I'm on vacation this week with no real plans; and would like to use my kayak. If any one is looking to do a weekday trip, or has one planed, I would like to tag along. I did the Thursday night skills paddle on the 28th and hope to make the next one. P.S. I posted this twice, cause I'm still not sure, what go's under what heading yet.

Jim