Kayak tow lines

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Griffd
antispam: No

Kayak tow lines

Post by Griffd »

I'm interested in buying a waist type kayak tow line. I've looked online at what NRS, Kokotat, and Seal have to offer. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have to offer.

Thanks,

Dave
gifallen

Re: Kayak tow lines

Post by gifallen »

I made my own, lot cheaper.
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

Many folks consider the North Water Sea Tec as "the one to get". It's about $125 though. They also offer the Micro Tow which is about half the cost and half the size. I think rope quality, the float and the bungee are the reasons for the price difference.

I have the Sea Tec with a second carabiner attached to the waistbelt inside the bag and a loop (alpine butterfly knot) tied midway down the line. It's packed into the bag with the knot clipped into the 'biner so I can let out 15' for a short tow by default. If I need the full 30' then I can unclip the loop from the carabiner and let out the full length.

One of the nice features of the waist belt style is that it's not attached to the pfd so you can rotate it around your body to tow forwards or backards. The bag sits under the front of my pfd so I can get to it quickly. I can initially set up the tow with the bag in front of me and paddle backwards so I can keep an eye on the line and the person being towed. If I want to 180 and tow forward the bag will just rotate around my body and settle in on my back.

http://www.northwater.com/html/products/sea_kayak/SKsubdirectory/SeaTec-towline.html
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

mtnbiker26 wrote:Many folks consider the North Water Sea Tec as "the one to get". It's about $125 though. They also offer the Micro Tow which is about half the cost and half the size. I think rope quality, the float and the bungee are the reasons for the price difference.

http://www.northwater.com/html/products/sea_kayak/SKsubdirectory/SeaTec-towline.html

This is the one Mark and I have (a gift from John M, who perhaps wanted to be sure we could rescue him?) The only issue I've had with it is that the belt is made for a larger person than I, and once it came loose unbeknownst to me until I noticed it floating in the surf next to me.

Happily, I have not had to rescue John or anyone else since receiving this towline, so can't comment on its usefulness.

NK
flabo

Post by flabo »

New subject: I'm on vacation this week with no real plans; but I would like to use my kayak. If any one is looking to do a weekday trip, or has one planed, I would like to tag along. I did the Thursday night skills paddle on the 28th and hope to make the next one.

Jim
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

flabo wrote:New subject: I'm on vacation this week with no real plans; but I would like to use my kayak. If any one is looking to do a weekday trip, or has one planed, I would like to tag along. I did the Thursday night skills paddle on the 28th and hope to make the next one.

Jim
Last edited by noseykate on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griffd

Post by Griffd »

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave