Surf areas

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Surf areas

Post by Briggsy »

Does anyone know of any good surfing areas around the Horseneck beach area of Westport ?
Having bought a P&H Delphin and invested in a surf lesson, I planned to surf in the Capes Atlantic beaches until the recent shark sightings from Chatham to as far north as Truro. ( Please do not reply with any of that old garbage about about sharks not attacking kayakers !!!)
I planned on launching from Gooseberry Island and cruising the coast looking for surf spots. Any helpful pointers as to good areas to check out would be appreciated.
Thanks
Briggsy
Mark

Re: Surf areas

Post by Mark »

A really good spot is Brayton's Point right on the MA/RI border. You can paddle there from Gooseberry Island quite easily and would probably have it to yourself. The offshore sandbars there can jack up some huge sets but they always let you go when they hit deeper water long before you get in to the beach. The beach break there is not really where you want to be. This used to be my favorite surf spot for long or short boats, but it is pretty inaccessible in the summer, except by paddling there in a long boat as you were planning to do anyway.

Here's a shot of Dr. Smoke surfing the beach break at Brayton's:

If you want to go a bit farther south/west, the mouth of the Sakonnet River has some good surfing at what is variously called the Three Chimneys or "The Clumps". This is an offshore break just east of the river mouth.

Here is a sample of an offshore wave there on a not very big day:

Photos courtesy of NoseyKate.
cgr

Post by cgr »

It's probably worth checking to Osprey sea kayak, they can probably point you to the best spot of the day.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

The mouth of the Narrows in RI also has nice standing waves. 41.44115, -71.44178 on google maps. IIRC, outgoing tide is best. Easy access from the bridge on 1A. This is a good learning spot, IMO.

Brayton's Point is a long paddle from Gooseberry Is. if you are not Mark. And, it is eye-popping surfing on a day with swell.

NK
Mark

Post by Mark »

Another place I used to surf all the time in the short boat was Baker's Beach, which is between Horseneck and the mouth of the Westport River. There is a boat ramp for putting into the river just off Route 88 after you cross to the south side of the river.

The sand bars have shifted around at Baker's quite a bit over the years, but this used to a great winter surf spot. It's beach break like Horseneck, and may be better suited to short boats than long boats, but you can easily check it out from Gooseberry Island.

Sing3.jpg
Sing3.jpg (156.48 KiB) Viewed 8415 times
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Thanks Mark, Kate and Chris, looks like some good areas to check out.
I'm going to head off to Westport for the day on Wednesday and scout out some of those places . Will probably paddle west from Gooseberry and see what happens.
I have heard about The Narrows before but never been there. Half the problem of surf areas seems to be getting the right combination of tide and wind.Wednesday will be a good start anyway.
Further on from Braytons Point I notice on the chart is Briggs Point, Briggs Beach and Briggs Marsh. Those places have my name written all over them ha ha!!
Thanks for all the good info
Briggsy
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

It's not a beach break, but try Nobska point on an ebbing tide and a SW wind.