Helicopters and Rescue Swimmers: Kayak Rescue

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Adam Bolonsky

Helicopters and Rescue Swimmers: Kayak Rescue

Post by Adam Bolonsky »

A couple of our own got into the bad dice this past weekend, as many of you probably know.

nspn.org has comments on its message board

I've also got details and links posted at
http://www.paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com/
Todd

Post by Todd »

Adam,

I just heard about this from a colleague of mine who knows I kayak. Thanks for sharing it with us. We all need to remember the challenges we might face each time out. I read all of the comments on nspn.org and it sounds as if you have a very loyal group. I'm glad your two friends are okay and congradulations on belonging to such a group.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
chpaton

Dicey Stuff!

Post by chpaton »

Adam:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The incident speaks to many things - a poignant reminder that $hit can happen to anyone, so be prepared, and realize that oft times discretion is the better part of valor.

For the most part I found the NSPN dialog on the incident to be very civilized, in some cases even a bit protective of the two paddlers who got into harm's way. NSPN certainly seems to be a close knit community. Surprizingly the comments on P-Net in response to a question about the incident posted by "Wollyworld" (who goes by another name here) have also been fairly supportive so far.

Given the skill levels of the two paddlers I will certainly check back to read their report and analysis when it's posted, as I'm sure it will contain some valuable lessons and wisdom.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah, if it hadn't been a couple of their own precious golden boys, the NSPN snipers would have been all over that story with the "stupid idiots in kayaks that have no business paddling those conditions" mantra.

Fact is, they apparently had no business paddling in those conditions, since they couldn't handle it, but allowances are made for your buddies that you would never make for total strangers.

I especially liked the comment not to worry what the flat-water paddlers would say. Hell, they are all flat-water paddlers! Plum Island Sound is Class II whitewater at best. i.e. - Goo-Goo whitewater.

OK, end of rant.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

This episode and the "wreck of the Bonnie Dune", pretty sobering stuff, I must say!

Makes me think about the number of occasions on the water where I've been more lucky than smart.

Hopefully, I'm getting a little wiser with age.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Todd

Post by Todd »

Craig says
Hopefully, I'm getting a little wiser with age.

What is it they say? If I only knew then what I know now.

With age, comes knowlege, with knowlege comes learning, with learning comes wisdom. My philosophy for the day.

I read both the Plum Island trip report and the "Wreck of the Bonnie Dunne" with wide eyes. I now have to at least get a knife in my everyday bag.

What other items should I pack? Should we discuss again in another thread what items we need to bring along on trips?
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170