Derek Hutchinson

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Derek Hutchinson

Post by norm »

I read this morning that Derek Hutchinson has passed away. I remember hearing a few of you tell me how opinionated he was on a ride up to UNH for the Kittery Trading Post kayak expo a few years ago and we went to a pool session and a lecture by Derek. I searched and found a blog article that mentioned his death and described his contributions to the sport. At the end of the article is a 15 minute long video of Derek giving an interview. At the end, a bystander challenges Derek's claim that he was the first to put bulkheads and hatches in a glass boat. I think some of you will enjoy the article and interview.

http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2012/10/12/derek-hutchinson-legendary-sea-kayaker-designer-and-author/
gifallen

Re: Derek Hutchinson

Post by gifallen »

Thanks Norm for the info on Hutchinson. I bought a Gulfstream (Hutchinson's favorite design) back in 2001. With the purchase came an invitation to attend one of Derek's clinics. I took his paddle/stroke clinic that spring. Unfortunately for me, I had removed the Mermaid/Dolphin decals on the bow of the Gulfstream. When I was unloading the boat, Hutchinson came over to look at the kayak. He asked me if it was a Gulfstream, and I acknowledged that indeed it was, and that I had just purchased it. He then asked about the decals. I told him that I had removed them. He walked away and ignored me for the rest of the day.

Derek Hutchinson, even with all his steadfast opinions, was the first Euro-style kayaker. He invented the sport as we know it today.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I had recently tried the gulfstream, after years of wondering what it was like. It's a wide boat, with a lot of stability. I understand why he liked doing demonstrations in it. It's surely not an outer island :)

He certainly had a reputation that made him a British "Yoda" of the sea. RIP, and thank you for all that you did for the sport!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Chip

Post by Chip »

I was talking to a guy in REI a few weeks ago who had purchased the boat he left in the Northeast for his visits. It was the Green over white with the yellow stripe that he used at the expo. He kept it at Osprey I believe and asked the owner to sell about a year ago.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Thanks Norm Great interview. I had two run ins with Derek one on land and one on the water at the Boston Seakayak Expo in Boston harbor. He could be a jerk but did a lot for the sport. Hope there are bulk heads in his casket. RIP Derek. Grim