Cold Water Clinic Results?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Cold Water Clinic Results?

Post by norm »

I know a few people were signed up for the cold water clinic at CRCK last Sunday.

How was it?

Have they scared you away from going out paddling for the rest of the year or are you ready to go once your new dry suits arrive?

Just wondering who is still on the list of potential paddlers as the water gets cold...
gifallen

Re: Cold Water Clinic Results?

Post by gifallen »

Hi Norm, We have an AMC paddle tomorrow down in Padanarum. Here's the info. Be there by 10:00

The paddle on Wednesday October 24 will be at Pandanarum Harbor and Dike Creek, Dartmouth

Put-in: I-195 Exit 13S, Rt 140, R on Rt 6, L Slocum Rd., L at stop sign(Elm St) to Bridge St. R over bridge L on Smith Neck Rd.
PFD required
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks Gif, but I'm almost out of vacation days. I really do still work for a living.
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I signed up for the cold water clinic on the 17th that the North shore paddlers are doing.
Joseph
Cetus LV
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

NSPN does a great job with that cold water clinic...
Azane
antispam: No

Post by Azane »

Cheers Norm and All! Abby and Steve were there along with Skip and Mary. Pretty informative..classroom stuff. eg: did ANYONE know that an empty bladder keeps you warmer than a full one??? (hey, I'm a financial sales guy) OR sometimes when one urinates in a wet suit....it comes up???? Well!... then trying on the Kokatats (pricier than my first mortgage), and wading out and into the Charles mucky like you read about....61 degrees .... well maybe...floating around remarking how warm and happy and we all are! Ok, fellow Turkeys....its time we "outed Abby"...she froze!" Kokatat or no...SHE FROZE, So, in short, we are glad we went and the Kokatat Pitch was well presented, but we are likely not to be buyers at this time. We still have Palms, so what we need now are the "bottoms", w/ girl-fly if possible, guy for me, please...booties for sure. Yes....still interested in going out! Norm:For better or ill, we are on the list!
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Azane

Post by Azane »

Now.. now... now!
Rumors that I FROZE are obviously highly exaggerated. For anyone present, it was obvious that my lips were fully functional the entire time due to my complaining.

I am still interested in buying some additional cold water gear. If I had better base clothes, I am sure I would be fine.
In the meantime, Keep us informed as to paddle plans, please!
Abby
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

All,
The water down on Narragansett Bay last weekend was still quite pleasant. There are still 2 trips that I am considering for this fall:
1) Mystic CT
2) Jamestown RI or New Port heading North
I would love to see some interest before I go to the effort of trying to plan something.
I Know Norm would go.
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Azane wrote:Now.. now... now!
Rumors that I FROZE are obviously highly exaggerated. For anyone present, it was obvious that my lips were fully functional the entire time due to my complaining.

I am still interested in buying some additional cold water gear. If I had better base clothes, I am sure I would be fine.
In the meantime, Keep us informed as to paddle plans, please!
Abby

There is still a sale at NRS including a farmer jane wetsuit WITH relief zipper. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2221&pdeptid=1685

You'll have to talk with Bea about her warmth combinations of clothing when she gets back.

Norm
norm

Post by norm »

Ken R wrote:All,
The water down on Narragansett Bay last weekend was still quite pleasant. There are still 2 trips that I am considering for this fall:
1) Mystic CT
2) Jamestown RI or New Port heading North
I would love to see some interest before I go to the effort of trying to plan something.
I Know Norm would go.

You're right, I'll go! Either and or both places. How about Mystic Saturday and Jamestown Sunday. Just kidding...

I do want to go out both Saturday and Sunday because I'm on call next week, but I don't have a plan yet. Been too busy to come up with anything definitive.

I know Jim C. wants to go again and his preference is Sunday.

Norm
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I cant do Saturday but can do Sunday.
OK I could do Saturday but would need to be home no later than 3:30
KR
Azane

Post by Azane »

Cheers! We are up for a paddle this weekend. South=warmer? Either day works, we can move this and that to accommodate...prefer Saturday tho. Steve T
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I would be up for one on sunday depending on where you go and the weather

Sent from my DROID3 Using ForumTouch for Android
josko

Post by josko »

There's a RICKA paddle at Sakonnet on Saturday: http://rickaseakayaking.org/forums/inde ... sg6263#new
Sunday, Greg paquin is running a high current - high wind clinic in Woods Hole: http://www.kayakwaveology.com/event/woo ... ce-clinic/
I'll be at the Sunday clinic and am trying to work out my schedule to do Saturday's paddle as well.