Cohasset Harbor to Little Harbor - 7/3

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Cohasset Harbor to Little Harbor - 7/3

Post by Birdseye »

I know this is a busy weekend for most but I'd like to get as much paddling as my body can stand while I'm on vacation. I'm proposing a Cohasset Harbor to Little Harbor trip this Sunday. There is a 9:58 AM tide and it's best to travel under the bridge to Little Harbor 1 hour before and after high tide.

I've already scouted out the area and talked to the Harbormaster about parking. We'd launch from the public boat ramp on Parker Ave at 9:00AM. It's about 2 miles to Little Harbor so it shouldn't take us too long to get there.

Little Harbor is very picturesque and should be a nice quiet paddle at that time of the morning.

After we leave Little Harbor we can decide (depending on the conditions) if we want to check out the house on Black Rocks or head back to Cohasset Harbor and do some gunkholing in Briggs Harbor which is not far from the put-in.

Anyone interested?

P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I'd love to do this trip (and plan to), but our Campers' Association meeting is at 11:00 on that day. Chip is the president of the association.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'd love to do this trip (and plan to), but our Campers' Association meeting is at 11:00 on that day. Chip is the president of the association.

:idea: If Chip is the Pres then maybe he can reschedule to a later date/time?
Chip

Post by Chip »

I would love to change it but these people don't take change well. It has been on this day at this time for generations. The world would end if I changed it. I was gone all last weekend (it was a blast by the way)so I need to spend some face time with the family.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm in. I've been thinking about this trip lately. How about Minot's Light? It will be once less lighthouse you have to view on your tour. You'll be able to tell everyone your personal experiences with Minot, up close and personal.

Minot would be off to the South past Sheppard's Ledge and Hog Rock. It is in the Kayaking Coastal Mass Book.

And if high tide is at 10, do you want to start at 8 insted of 9? I used to getting up early on weekends.
Last edited by Todd on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

How about Minot's Light?

It was suggested to me by SD that we might not be quite ready for that just yet and it's better to go with a bigger group.

Believe me, it's a very big tempatation. :?
Todd

Post by Todd »

Yea, my book also says that I may not be ready for Minot's.
Cooler heads Birdseye, cooler heads.

But I'll do the harbor. Did you see my suggestion about the starting time?
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Todd,
I have something else to do early in the am. 9am is as early as I can make it. That should leave us enough time to explore little harbor without getting into any trouble on the way out.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

In my humble opinion, unless you are a very skilled kayaker, anything in unprotected waters that takes you away from the shore should not be attempted with less than 3 people all of whom are proficient in assisted rescues in open water chop.

Just my dos centos
Todd

Post by Todd »

9 is fine.

Minot is out.

Thanks for keeping me levelheaded guys.

Steve, wouldn't that be dos centavos?
Carolina Perception 14.5
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Todd wrote:Steve, wouldn't that be dos centavos?

How would I know... I'm Scottish :D
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I'm fairly new to the scene...but I'd really like to join you folks for the Cohasset trip. I live in the town...and I just did Little Harbor for the first time last weekend. Been out on the main harbor several times too.

My wife and I just got ourselves a pair of WS Tsunami 14.5's and we're still in shakedown mode. I need to work on lots of skills...especially in the area of safety...but I'm quite familiar with this route.

I definitely will shy away from heading out to the light at this time...I'm just not ready. :roll:

So....may I join you?
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think I'm in, wife's working the Sunday shift, library is closed, perfect day to go paddling.

Looks like the all day class tomorrow is falling through, I still hope to get out though.

Finn, I'm new too, hope to see you there.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Todd, Finn and Dave,

I've done some thinking and for a number of reasons have decided to cancel this trip.

First, I've seen (and experienced without a boat) the current running into Little Harbor and although we'd be going through there at the best time I still would feel better if the group I was with had better (or any) rescue skills.

Second, there are others who are interested in doing this trip that can't make it on Sunday. Maybe it would be better to postpone it to another time which will give others the opportunity to attend and also give those who haven't yet, a chance to work on their skills.

The more I paddle and talk to veteran paddlers, the more I realize how important and necessary these skills are.

I encourage all of you who haven't participated in a rescue session or don't feel comfortable with the process yet to attend the Thursday night sessions in Hanson. It's free and you can learn a lot. If we have more sessions like we had last night, I believe you will be more than welcome to attend them as long as you are a registered member of this group.

I hope you all understand. I'd hate to put myself and others into a predicament that I might regret later.

Nelson
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Wus.

;)

No, I agree with your decision, and I look forward to going on the trip when you reschedule.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

Understood.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Dave

Post by Dave »

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Quincy Bay anyone?
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I certainly understand.

In fact, one of the reasons I want to get in on these group trips is to pick up some technique by example. I've definitely been approaching all this with a measure of caution; I'm pretty experienced at backcountry know-how (used to be active in the AMC)...but kayaking is something of a frontier for me. :?

The Hanson sessions seem like a great idea. Are the details posted in here somewhere?
Chip

Post by Chip »

Finn McCool wrote:I certainly understand.

In fact, one of the reasons I want to get in on these group trips is to pick up some technique by example. I've definitely been approaching all this with a measure of caution; I'm pretty experienced at backcountry know-how (used to be active in the AMC)...but kayaking is something of a frontier for me. :?

The Hanson sessions seem like a great idea. Are the details posted in here somewhere?

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

In fact, one of the reasons I want to get in on these group trips is to pick up some technique by example.

I understand but we generally don't practice rescues while on a trip (but we probably should in the future).

It's best to at least attend a couple of sessions to become familiar and have an understanding of what to do whether your assisting or being assisted. Or if you're alone, getting back in your boat unassisted.

The things I've picked up most when on a trip is how to read your surroundings, boaters, channels, current, etc.

I look forward to paddling with you in the future.
Lori

I'm new to the board & agree 100%

Post by Lori »

Two years ago I passed under the bridge which led to Cohasset's Little Harbor. It was part of CRCK Ocean Skills 1 class. It was the quickest water I've ever experienced. I remember being last in line to go under. The majority of the class participants capsized while going through. Not only did I have to deal with the "confused" water but needed to steer clear of the kayakers who had tipped over. I managed fine and did learn how to properly ferry and peel out. However, it was under the guidence of an experienced instructor.
I paddle mostly with BSKC and SE AMC. The safety of the entire group is something I see not always practiced with the AMC crew. I was pleased to read how this Scheduled trip turned out and really look forward to paddling with you all. I probably have met some of you at the Thursday evening skill sessions in Hanson but alas...have difficulty putting names and faces together.

Lori
Dave

Hey there

Post by Dave »

Had a great time practicing with Nelson and Mr. McCool on Sunday night. Still haven't gotten around to downloading the pics, I got some nice action shots of the assisted rescue, as well as a couple shots of the baby swans. I'll get those uploaded and post a link soon. Haven't gotten out again since, but I'm sure I'm going to be a bit more comfortable for having practiced these skills. Thanks to Nelson!

Last Thursday evening seminar for the summer is tonight, I'm looking forward to joining in a Thursday night session real soon. Hope the water is as warm as it was in Norwell, I could swamp all night in that bath water.

Dave
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks Dave,

I think the session went well and you guys did great. I just hope the weather improves soon so we can get out paddling again.

I'm on vacation this week and the rain is killing me. Sunday looks like the next best day.

See you on the water.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Birdseye wrote:I'm on vacation this week and the rain is killing me.

Is this not the pits?? Sue and I came home to dry out a little. Sue has this shiny new kayak that she's dying to use, and suddenly it's April again.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Hey Nelson and Dave,

Thanks for the great practice session the other night in Norwell. The water in Jacobs pond certainly made that initial flip upside-down relatively shock-free.

I need to get a LOT more practice in...but that has given me some confidence. Unfortunately, I cannot get down to Hanson tonight due to several conflicts.

On a side note... on Monday morning, I rode the high tide from Cohasset harbor and far in along the Gulph river to Scituate. Spectacular place; I've lived in Cohasset since 1979...and have never experienced that. Wildlife everywhere..and the water was serene and clear. Headed back out the river in plenty of time to have a safe passage through the Mill River narrows (where the whitewater guys like to hang out when the tides are at a different stage)...and then out into the Harbor again.

This trip is definitely worth a nice group excursion as along as the tides are right.

Catch you guys later.

Michael McWilliams
Cohasset
------------------
PS: By the way..."Finn McCool" is a legendary figure out of Irish folklore. I couldn't resist it as my handle. 8)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

PS: By the way..."Finn McCool" is a legendary figure out of Irish folklore. I couldn't resist it as my handle.

It's a great handle. I may still want to call you Finn as long as you don't object.

Nelson
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Sue and I kayaked Cohasset Harbor this past Friday night. Before we launched, I took a quick drive over the bridge where the water enters Little Harbor. It was 20 minutes before high tide, and it was pretty freakin' exciting! It looked definitely navigable, but there would be no going against it. I'd guess it was moving at 20 mph. I might take a drive over there some time after high tide to see when a suitable time would be to exit the harbor. That way it would be possible to plan a schedule.

The seas on Friday night were very very calm.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'm guessing that if we went in there 30 minutes prior to high tide then paddled around Little Harbor for another 30- 45 minutes or so we'd be able to ride it right out.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I think that we might have to skew the timing a little.

I don't think that that skinny inlet will allow the ocean to fill the harbor as fast as it is rising. Therefore, at dead high tide, I suspect that the harbor is still measurably lower than the ocean, and the water will still be gushing in. Perhaps the two don't quite level out until 20 minutes after high tide, at which time the water reverses direction and starts heading back toward the ocean.

So perhaps the optimum time to enter the harbor would be exactly at high tide, paddle around for 30-45 min like you said, and then head back out.

I'll have to head over there sometime around high tide and just watch the current to see what time it becomes manageable coming in, when it reverses direction, and when it starts getting too wild again on the way out.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

good point
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Man, I tell ya... the things I do for you guys - the sacrifices I make! I gave up much of my morning that I <i>could</i> have spent sitting in front of this computer screen to go over to Cohasset and watch the ocean flow into Little Harbor, sitting out on a rock in the blazing 70-degree sun, with nothing to sustain me but a large coffee and a raspberry danish. And all I had to look at were drab scenes like this one:

Well, enough of my problems. Onto my findings.

High tide minus 15 minutes: Water is roaring in. I think that it would be passable, but it would be a hell of a ride, and capsizing wouldn't be out of the question. But the water calms soon enough, so I don't think there would be any serious danger if you stay clear of the southern shore (some boulders a few feet down). And you could practice your rescue skills!

Dead high tide: Water is still flowing very fast. It would be an exciting ride, but probably not such a great likelihood of capsizing.

High tide plus 30 minutes: Water still pretty quick. A good paddler <i>might</i> be able to paddle against it and pass the bridge heading toward the ocean, but probably not without a heart attack.

High tide plus 45 minutes: Current is manageable now, ala North River. Pretty much any paddler could make it in either direction.

High tide plus 60 minutes: Current comes to a stop and reverses.

At this point, it was about quarter to ten and I had work at the office that had to get done. "Time and tide wait for no man", but I can't wait for them either, so I had to boogie.

But using some rudimentary knowledge of tides (i.e. talking out of my butt), I have a theory. I believe that the transition from "water flowing in at 10 mph" to "dead calm" is a lot longer than from "dead calm" to "water flowing out at 10 mph". The difference in height of the ocean from one minute to the next is small as you near the high- or low-tide mark. It is greatest at dead center between the two.

So as we get further from high tide, the water level drops at an increasing rate. Therefore, I suspect that while we had up to an hour and 15 minutes of navigable inward current, it's quite possible that we might only get half that going the other direction.

I'll try to get back to that area at the appropriate time to test my theory.

Boy, today would have been a stunning day to make this trip. Light breeze, nice temperature. The ocean was quite calm (which some might not like too much, but I'd rather be surprised with calm than with ocean activity I can't handle). I definitely want to make this trip on a sunny day, and mornings would probably be better (photographically). This is a stunningly beautiful harbor, and only the occupants and brave kayakers get to see it.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

Pat,

I for one want to thank you for all the hard work you put in and the sacrifices you make. When I look up the definition of the word altruist in Websters Standard Dictionary, there is picture of you drinking coffee and eating a PRUNE danish.

Good research Pat. Thanks.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks Pat for your time and effort. I agree... the place is beautiful.

As you know Cohassett Harbor to Little Harbor has been and itch I've wanted to scratch for some time now. This Saturday or Sunday is perfect for me but I guess not for you. Next weekend I'll be in Maine until Sunday afternoon/evening.

Hopefully we'll be able to do this trip together.

Also, keep in mind that I am more than willing to be the guinea pig for riding the current into Little Harbor (preferably with a little movement).
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Summers are busy for everyone. I don't think anyone will argue that the best kayaking time is yet to come. If we don't get badly screwed by the weather, we could still have three months of kayaking after Labor Day. The air will be clearer, the waterways will have fewer weekend warrior power boaters, and we may have more free time.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Pat.

The photo from Little Harbor is just beautiful. Looks very much like the part of Norway I grew up in.

Is there anywhere you can lauch in Little Harbor, or do you have to launch in Cohasset harbor and "go from there".

Miss you all. Summertime is crazy. All this running around.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I don't think there's anyplace to launch in Little Harbor. The bridge going over the inlet is almost the only view that there is of it. There is one spot that is adjacent to a marsh area that leads to it, but I didn't see any likely launch spots.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

You may be able to lauch into Little Harbor from the West side of Sandy Beach ( I believe you'd have to cross the road).

In the trip report I gave some of you, they say you can portage to Sandy Beach at the Flats (only during the off season unfortunately - see map at the top of this post) if you can't make it out of Little Harbor safely. So I would assume you could put into Little Harbor at the same place. It could be a little awkward but may be an option and worth a look.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Nelson and Pat.

Is the parking lot for Sandy beach a privat parking lot? Is that why we have to do it off season? I am dying to kayak there some time. Glad you volunteered to be the guinea pig over the rapids. The water runs pretty fast there at times! I'll take pictures.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Bea,
First of all... welcome back, haven't heard from you in a while.

The reason for only being able to portage during the off season is because you can't put your boat in the water at Sandy Beach during the summer months in order to get back to your starting point (if you couldn't get out of Little Harbor safely).

I don't know about the parking lot but if you can put in to Little Harbor at the spot I mentioned (the Flats) I don't think it's a problem to do that at any time of the year. It's only a problem if you take out there and portage across to the beach during the summer season.

Hopefully that made sense??
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I stopped by Little Harbor again today to do a little more research. Bea dropped off some updates for <a href="http://www.beaellisknitwear.com">her website</a> and I really should be working on <i>that</i>, but I think I know Bea's priorities, and I'm pretty sure I made the right call here.

I got there around high tide plus an hour and twenty minutes, and the current was brisk. Thing is, the water was very smooth. It didn't look dangerous whatsoever.

Then I did a circumnavigation of the harbor. The parking lot at Sandy Beach (across the street from the flats) is pay-to-enter at this point. Perhaps after Labor Day, that will change. From what I could see, there's no place other than the parking lot where you could pull a car off the street to unload a yak. If/when there's free parking in there again, you could pull your boat across about a hundred feet of marshy grass to get to the water.

Directly on the other side of the harbor, a peninsula sticks out, and Gammons Road snakes through it. I <i>did</i> see a spot where you could drop off your boat, and an area nearby where you could pull off the road. If you go way to the end of Gammons Road, it turns into a dirt road and goes down to the tip of the peninsula. There are a few little fields on the side of the road where you could park, but I don't know if this is private property or not.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com