Backcountry cookbooks

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Chip

Backcountry cookbooks

Post by Chip »

Can anyone recommend a book on backcountry cooking? Some of you hikers might be schooled in this area.

Stephen, I have the hot dog on a stick recipe already. :D I did like your orange spice tea. Warmed the cockles of my heart.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Doug

Post by Doug »

Chip, my very biased choice would be the NOLS Cookery, published by Stackpole Books. It has great information on nutrition, suggested pounds per person per day, depending on seasons and activities, it also emphasizes recipes designed around inexpensive easy to find foods. It helps you to determine fuel use and gives you tips on baking etc. It gets revised often and uses the experience of tens of thousands of field hours that NOLS expeditions have provided. You should be able to get more info at www.nols.edu - Doug
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
Mark

Post by Mark »

I second Doug's recommendation. Did the cooking with him , bought the book. Now I don't need him. :lol:

Hmmm, I seem to recall that the last camp meal I cooked in the backcountry with Doug he said was the best he had had in quite a while...

I'd like to do it again, though.
Chip

Post by Chip »

That's a good enough recommendation for me. Thank you both.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I read some reviews on the NOLS Cookery. Will this book be overkill for an overnighter or weekend warrior?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Not at all
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Chip,

You can never go wrong with hot dogs on a stick. ...and it was peach tea... with a touch of Dewars.

I've never had the pleasure of experiencing Doug's back country cooking, but from what I hear... he's da' man.

There is a slight distinction between backpack cooking requirements and camping cooking requirements. Mainly, how much gear/food/refrigeration can you carry. I suspect the NOLS book is geared toward limited resource cooking and therefore will work in just about any situation. If you have the luxury of being able to carry a few more items, you might look at "The One Pan Galley Gourmet" by Jacobson and Roberts (no relation) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071423826/sr=8-1/qid=1149760972/ref=sr_1_1/002-4288508-1546401?%5Fencoding=UTF8). It's tailored toward the boating crowd, but is appropriate for camping situations where you might have a one-burner stove, cooler, pot, pan, camp oven, and/or a camp pressure cooker.

I have a copy if you want to borrow it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Steven,
Sounds like another good one to check out. These books are pretty cheap too. I'll have to start my library.

Peach tea with Dewars....yum.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

BTW - Doug promised us an out-of-the-kayak cooking lesson one of these days... I was thinking perhaps rack of lamb followed by some baked alaska.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Steve.

You may call Doug "da' man" when it comes to cooking, but to us he is know as "Julia Child of the Wild"!

I was on the recieving end of Doug's cooking for a week in the Everglades. He fed 9 people three full meals a day, all on one burner. This included pizza from scratch where you start with the yeast and the flour. Blew me away! Keep in mind we were on a tiny island in the Gulf of Mexico with no water, no nothing.......

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)