Mystic River Info???

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Mystic River Info???

Post by norm »

Has anyone paddled the Mystic River above the locks in Somerville/Medford area? I have looked on the watershed website and it looks like there is a launch site convenient to I93 at 32 Shore Drive in Somerville. Here is a Google Maps link to the spot: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32+shore ... 02145&z=18

Any comments or suggestions about the area and Mystic River are welcome.

I'm thinking of doing a trip there this weekend. I've never been there, so I'm curious if the water is deep enough for sea kayaks all the way up to the Mystic Lakes or if there are rocks and shallows to worry about?

Here is a Google Earth picture of the trip I'm considering. The red route is about 12 miles. The purple route is an additional section in case there is enough daylight and desire to do another 5 miles of exploring at the end of the day.

Mystic_River_Medford.JPG
Mystic_River_Medford.JPG (151.97 KiB) Viewed 10371 times

This trip will be for people who have the proper winter clothing and rescue skills and endurance to do a 10 to 12 mile trip.

Right now the weather looks clearer for Saturday than Sunday, but the air temps are only in the mid 40's. I know there are a few people interested in paddling, but I don't know what their air temp tolerance will be.

Keep an eye on upcoming trips forum if you are interested and please reply here if you have any knowledge about the area.

Thanks,
Norm
Birdseye

Re: Mystic River Info???

Post by Birdseye »

If it helps... when I was in high school, we did a canoe trip from Little Spy Pond in Arlington all the way to Boston Harbor. I believe that trip included the Mystic River.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I paddled from lower Mystic Pond downriver but not all the way to the locks. I don't remember the turn-around point but it was a nice half-day trip. It was deep enough water, no problem. I don't remember what time of year but we've had lots of rain lately so I think you'll be okay.

NK
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have paddled it also, in winter (breaking ice as we went) and in summer, fishing for Striped Bass. I've been to the locks and up to the lakes in a sea kayak.

There is a public boat ramp near the Wellington T Station.

Mark
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Where exactly are the locks? Can we go through them the way we do in the Charles River going out into the Boston Harbor?

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:Where exactly are the locks? Can we go through them the way we do in the Charles River going out into the Boston Harbor?Bea

Bea - the locks are at the bottom right of the picture where the extended trip purple track is at it's lowest point. We should be able to swing by them to see what they look like if we move fast enough on the main part of the trip. The locks are less than a mile from the launch point. I assume we could go through them but I wasn't planning on it for this trip. Most of the area south of the locks seems to be industrial whereas the area above the locks is parkland and urban residential. It is about 2 miles from the locks to the Boston inner harbor area under the Mystic River Bridge.

Did you ever get Google Earth installed? You'd love it for looking at stuff like this and measuring distances.
norm

Post by norm »

Kate and Mark - thanks for the helpful information. Nelson - not so much, but nice to hear from you...
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

norm wrote:
NorwayLady wrote:Where exactly are the locks? Can we go through them the way we do in the Charles River going out into the Boston Harbor?Bea

Bea - the locks are at the bottom right of the picture where the extended trip purple track is at it's lowest point. We should be able to swing by them to see what they look like if we move fast enough on the main part of the trip. The locks are less than a mile from the launch point. I assume we could go through them but I wasn't planning on it for this trip. Most of the area south of the locks seems to be industrial whereas the area above the locks is parkland and urban residential. It is about 2 miles from the locks to the Boston inner harbor area under the Mystic River Bridge.

Did you ever get Google Earth installed? You'd love it for looking at stuff like this and measuring distances.

Thanks, Norm. Yes, it would be fun to check out the locks if we have time. And, no, I have not installed Google Earth on my lap top, but I think it is about time. I am missing out on a lot of good info. and the ability to transfer MapMyRun (MapMyPaddle) tracks to Google Earth.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Thanks, Norm. Yes, it would be fun to check out the locks if we have time. And, no, I have not installed Google Earth on my lap top, but I think it is about time. I am missing out on a lot of good info. and the ability to transfer MapMyRun (MapMyPaddle) tracks to Google Earth.

Bea

I'm not sure Google earth will run on a dial-up connection?
norm

Post by norm »

Planning to check out the proposed put-in spot Friday morning and hope to post the trip plan during the day Friday.

After looking at the latest on-line weather forecasts, most likely choosing 9:00am Sunday morning as launch time.

Check "upcoming Trips" forum Friday afternoon for finalized info.

Norm