Post by Chip »

That man needs a headlamp. lol
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: Hard core paddler

Post by Ken R »

And maybe a dry top, tarp, tent, rope, LL Bean cook stove, Duraflame logs....oh sorry I started listing the equipment from Norms camping post
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Hey, if you want me to deliver that stuff, one of my workmates saw him during his waterfront walk in southie today. With all the notoriety, he's probably taking donations. I think Ed said he was over near where John Henry usually docks his yacht, the Iroquois.
baron1701
antispam: No

Post by baron1701 »

I sold an early Seventies aluminum Delphi Canoe to a man who lived in Billerica MA a few months ago.
I saw the pictures online and I could swear it was the same boat. I can imagine it passing hands somehow.

It would be kinda neat if it was the same one.
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

I ran into this guy today in the parking lot of Hannaford's Supermarket in Quincy. He was carrying his knapsack, a duffel bag and his well worn plastic and aluminum paddle. He had paddled his canoe from Rainsford to Squaw Rock (near Nickerson Beach) on Squantum Neck. Evidently, he's been camping on Rainsford for a while. He said he paddled to Quincy for supplies because the prevailing winds made it too difficult to for him to paddle to East Boston.

Based what I could see, he seems to be a pretty hearty fellow but a bit off kilter if you catch my drift. He reminded me of some of the slightly fried hippies I used to know back in the seventies.

From what he told me about his canoe and other equipment I think he's pushing the envelop a bit too far. Outside of the lifevest he was given he has no real safety or flotation gear and his camping kit sounds like its assembled from Wal-Mart surplus.

I ended up giving him a ride from the market back to his canoe. On the way, he said he's been told by the "authorities" that it would be OK for him to camp on Rainsford, Bumpkin or Grape so he may turn up on shore in Hull, Hingham or Weymouth if he makes it beyond Rainsford.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

chpaton wrote:Based what I could see, he seems to be a pretty hearty fellow but a bit off kilter if you catch my drift.

That's so surprising to hear. You'd think that a guy who spends his winters sleeping with everything he owns in a kayak in Boston Harbor would be just like you and me.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Canoe Vagrant?

Post by Birdseye »

Has anyone heard any more about the Canoe Vagrant? Think he's still out there or did he paddle over to the Homeless Shelter at Long Island?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue