2013 Planning

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

2013 Planning

Post by norm »

Merry Christmas everyone!

Briggsy just reminded me it's time to start thinking about next year's Washburn Island camping trip. Let's all think about a good date as we get our 2013 calendars. Probably early June? Maybe we'll get better weather this year.

Happy New Year too!

Norm
kayakerjnj

Re: 2013 Planning

Post by kayakerjnj »

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Sounds like a great idea! Santa owes us a dry weekend on Washburn this year :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

norm wrote:Maybe we'll get better weather this year.

Are you suggesting there's worse? The only thing that comes to mind is a tsunami.

My schedule is wide open for that, so definitely count me in.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

Anything but the first full weekend is good for me
Joseph
Cetus LV
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

How about camping on Hilton Head Island? :lol:
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Maybe you guys should set your sights a little higher? http://www.amckbc.org/kbc.htm
norm

Post by norm »

Johnysmoke wrote:Maybe you guys should set your sights a little higher? http://www.amckbc.org/kbc.htm

That's on the list for this year also...Bea's in charge of finding an available date for that trip.
Chip

Post by Chip »

norm wrote:
Johnysmoke wrote:Maybe you guys should set your sights a little higher? http://www.amckbc.org/kbc.htm

That's on the list for this year also...Bea's in charge of finding an available date for that trip.

That place looks awesome.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

Knubble Bay is an awesome base for paddling trips. I've wanted to do a circumnavigation of Georgetown Island for years. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this opportunity.
norm

Post by norm »

josko wrote:Knubble Bay is an awesome base for paddling trips. I've wanted to do a circumnavigation of Georgetown Island for years. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this opportunity.

Josko - have you camped at Beal Island? I'm wondering if that's a good alternative if the cottage is booked up for the whole season. Looks like going around Georgetown Island would be a nice 22 mile trip.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I've walked around Beal island, really nice campsites, grassy and flat with some tall trees overhead for shade. The amc people had a nice table down by the water for cooking. There is also an outhouse, so no wag bags needed...
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

Beal has a great and large campsite. It's a ~1/2 mile paddle from Knubble Bay AMC property, which allows launching and parking for Beal campers. Camping at Knubble bay is allowed for 'weatherbound' Beal campers waiting for weather to clear to paddle over to Beal.
Going around Georgetown is a long way, but getting the tides right helps a lot. If I remermber correctly, one wants Boston high tide ~9 a.m. That allows one to get up to the north end of Back river and ride the ebb down the Kennebec. It's also wise to spot a car down by the Kennebec mouth as a bail-out point in case weather turns or the river mouth turns out too rough.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Camping at Beal Island is a great suggestion. The price is $15 per night for members and $20 for non-members. The AMC site says we can apply for a burn permit and have a camp fire on the island. I paddled out from Knubble Bay camp to Beal Island last year. It is a short and protected paddle. Beal Island is beautiful, and a goood starting point for kayak trips. AMC even offered to help us with trip planning for local day paddles.....

I'll keep checking the AMC website for availability and there is also a phone number I can call.

What timeframe are we talking about. September?

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

Dalerks wrote:Anything but the first full weekend is good for me

Sorry Joe. I was a month late looking into the reservations this year and everything for later in June was already reserved. We had to take the first weekend again.
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

That actually worked out well My adversity is on the 10th so I am good lol
Joseph
Cetus LV