Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Harbor Island Off Season Photo Contest

Post by Birdseye »

P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Re: Harbor Island Off Season Photo Contest

Post by norm »

Birdseye wrote:Norm, here's a good reason for a winter paddle.

Not good enough a reason to go out in this weather! I think I'll wait till a day when it's at least 40 degrees air temp and light winds.

I have a feeling I may miss a month or two of paddling this winter if it's going to stay this cold.

Thanks!
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great Shot!

Still like to be out myself! :shock:
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

norm wrote:
Birdseye wrote:Norm, here's a good reason for a winter paddle.

Not good enough a reason to go out in this weather! I think I'll wait till a day when it's at least 40 degrees air temp and light winds.

I have a feeling I may miss a month or two of paddling this winter if it's going to stay this cold.

Thanks!

Well at least you have until April 1.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Azane
antispam: No

Post by Azane »

Tempting!

Someone once said..."I'll be out kayaking... UNTIL the air temperature and the water temperature combined add up to less than 100."

Cheers to all! Steve T
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think my minimum combined air-water temp was about 40. Water 30 and air 10. And yes, salt water is still liquid at 30 degrees.

That is back before I was a snowboarder. No way I would be out in the ocean now!
cgr

Post by cgr »

Mark wrote:I think my minimum combined air-water temp was about 40. Water 30 and air 10. And yes, salt water is still liquid at 30 degrees.

That is back before I was a snowboarder. No way I would be out in the ocean now!

What were the snowboarder’s last words?

DUDE, WATCH THIS!!!
baron1701

Post by baron1701 »

What do you guys use for cameras?
I have a Kodak Playsport Zx5, which I call my poor mans Hero.
Its nice and waterproof though.

Ice is the only thing that usually stops me.
Some time mid December - I'd have to look at my camera dates when im home - I enjoyed a quiet winter night in the harbor off of Nelson's Beach. It was late, dark and just awesome to see the lights from the water. There was also a powdering of snow coming down.
I also was only about 1800 feet so I was still close enough to feel safe.

I think there is a charm to winter kayaking. I would be more adventurous but I am also on a budget so I do not have a drysuit.
flabo

Post by flabo »

I have a dry suit, and I'm dumb enough to follow if some one wants to go paddle, on a calm winter day. (no water proof camera though)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

First decent day with some daylight available that I'm not working I can't wait to get the boat back in the water!

Dry wear is a must! I'm lucky, I got mine for a great deal a while ago, and its managed to wear well with good care :D

See you soon!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

baron1701 wrote:What do you guys use for cameras?

I think there is a charm to winter kayaking. I would be more adventurous but I am also on a budget so I do not have a drysuit.

Quite a few of us bought Pentax Optio Wx0 model cameras a few years ago. I managed to wear out one Optio W30 and was working on a second when I decided to upgrade last month to a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4. I upgraded to get more megapixels and image stabilization. I had a picture once that I wanted to submit to a photo contest and the resolution was not high enough to meet the minimum requirements. With the number of pictures I shoot, I figured I deserve to treat myself to a better camera.

As far as paddling in winter without a dry suit - I think that's a very bad idea even if you stay close to shore, especially if you are out there alone. Do a little research on hypothermia and how fast it takes effect in cold water before you go out again. Know that if you fall in and cannot get back in your boat within a couple minutes, you'll find your hands useless and will be in severe danger. In my opinion, winter trips should only be done with a group that you are familiar with that has performed assisted rescues on a regular basis.

Norm
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Don't forget about the "gasp reflex" which occurs when the body is suddenly immersed in water. The water doesn't have to be that cold; however, the colder usually the greater the shock. Opinions seem to differ as to how to prevent or lessen the shock, but wearing full hood does help lessen its effect. Those who are serious about cold water protection wear a full neoprene hood. That's my two-bits.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

norm wrote:
baron1701 wrote:What do you guys use for cameras?

Quite a few of us bought Pentax Optio Wx0 model cameras a few years ago. I managed to wear out one Optio W30 and was working on a second when I decided to upgrade last month to a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4. I upgraded to get more megapixels and image stabilization. I had a picture once that I wanted to submit to a photo contest and the resolution was not high enough to meet the minimum requirements. With the number of pictures I shoot, I figured I deserve to treat myself to a better camera.

Norm, The lumix ts4 has excellent photo and video quality. I have the ts2 and really appreciate that about it. However. Be warned that the aluminum-clad body is subject to corrosion from salt water. I was told about this and chose to ignore it, but it happened to my camera too. I followed the directions for soaking it after use, but even so it corroded. Salt ate its way through one corner of the lcd display and now I can see nothing in the display, even though the cam can still take photos. So be very careful about exposure to saltwater. I see the aluminum body as a serious design flaw.

I haven't found a camera that I'm willing to shell out more cash on... the world may have to get by without my visual input from the water.

nk
flabo

Post by flabo »

I went diving in early march one year with my brother-in-law off Nantasket Beach, and I took my hood off for what ever reason, and with in minutes my head was throbbing so bad from the cold, that I still remember it 40 years later. And that was a pretty warm and sunny day. But i'd still go kayaking in a group with my dry suit and some good fleece under it, and maybe buy a neoprene hood to go with that!
flabo

Post by flabo »

just remembered I bought a water proof 35mm Canon camera for kayaking, way back when; now that the worlds gone digital, I dont know if you could even get 35mm developed. Time for an upgrade.