Gluing in foam

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

josko
antispam: No

Gluing in foam

Post by josko »

All my reentry and roll practice is hard on foam pads (in the cockpit), and I've got foam coming loose in both my boats. It's been glued in with 'regular' contact cement, and I'm wondering if there's a better adhesive, or maybe just a better way of gluing in the foam.
I generally try to spread contact cement on both surfaces, wait ~15 mins until tack free, and then press the foam in. Is there a better glue or way?
kayakerjnj

Re: Gluing in foam

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Josko,

I've had luck with gorilla glue and contact cement. I've had further success roughening the back of the smooth mini-cell foam to increase the surface area for the bond too.

At the end of the day, the foam should be treated like any other material that is great in compression and should limit the amount of shear and tension its placed in.

I've had my foam shear, and peel off, the failure was with the foam and not adhesive, as the joint held but the foam let go just beyond it.

Another tip that might help would be to use the much darker higher density foam in those area that might see more shear or peel stresses. It doesn't have as much elongation and tends to hang in there a little better.

Good luck!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

When I put foam in my boat I put several thin applications of contact cement on before attaching them. This was when gluing foam to foam, so I figured that the foam would absorb some of the glue.
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

Jordan,

I'm using the 'regular' grey 1/2" foam sheets I got at CRCK. Would they also stock a higher density foam that you mention? If not, where is a good place to get some?

In both my cases, the glue joint let go. I think my legs are shearing/peeling the foam off as I reenter while upside-down.
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

I've found that one coating of contact cement on the foam isn't enough, as much of it gets absorbed. As Chris mentioned, I do 3 coatings on the foam (letting dry in between) so it's now glossy when I add the last coatings to the foam piece and boat.

best

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Josko,

Since you are so far south of Boston, a good place to get foam would be Jamestown Distributors (Bristol, RI). You can also order online. (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com)

Audrey