Nemo Attacks!

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Nemo Attacks!

Post by pat »

When we went to bed on Friday night, the storm was in full force. Pretty frightful listening to the raging wind and the occasional crack of trees and large branches. Lost power a little after 11:00. Around 4:00, after very little sleep, the wind had died down considerably, so I went down through the basement, into the garage, and opened the door so I could bring out the gas generator and get that started.

Yikes. Tree had fallen across the driveway, right in front of the door, just a few feet from the house.

I went upstairs and fired up the wood stove. Once it started to get light out, Sue came downstairs and yelled, "OMG, a tree fell across the driveway!!" Yeah, no kidding. But I saw she was looking in the wrong place. I looked out and saw yet another tree further toward the street.

We waited out the storm till it ended late afternoon. Next day, we got out and started shoveling. We've got a snow blower, but most of the driveway was so embedded with branch fragments, that it kept choking on them.

We started digging under the tree down at the end of the driveway and found yet ANOTHER tree buried under the snow. Well isn't that just lovely!

I have a small electric chain saw. These trees were going to be a challenge for it, but I had loads of time. It was about then that the generator ran out of gas. Seemed rather early, since I'd just filled it a short time ago. I went up and started dumping more gas into it and noticed that it was now gushing out of the carburetor. And since I know absolutely nothing about small engine repair and am unable to take it to someone who could help me, we were pretty much screwed at this point.

About an hour later, this guy pulls up out of nowhere and asks if we'd like him to cut the trees out of our way. Are you kidding me??? Holy @%$^!!! He refused any sort of payment. Just wanted to help out where he could. This guy truly saved us. Kinda gives you faith in humanity.

That night was bitter cold. We and the dogs slept around the woodstove. We got a call from NStar telling us that they expected to have the power by 11pm Thursday night.

The next morning, I went to Lowes and bought a 500 Terawatt generator. Things have been wonderful ever since, although going to the bathroom by flashlight is starting to get old.

On the other hand, Duncan is having no issues whatsoever with the snow.

Tally so far: 10+ trees down in our yard.

UPDATE...

A Logasaurus wandered past our house foraging for food and ate the two trees out front, so we're down to eight trees down.

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
josko
antispam: No

Re: Nemo Attacks!

Post by josko »

Monomoy is once again an island.
Ron

Re: Nemo Attacks!

Post by Ron »

More firewood.