Monomoy An Island Again

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Monomoy An Island Again

Post by norm »

As Josko mentioned in a reply to Pat's storm posting, it looks like Monomoy is an island again and we'll have some new exploring to do in the sandy channels in that area. I thought I'd start a new thread for sharing info about the new break in the island if anyone else comes across stories. I took a quick look and found this article: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130211/NEWS/302110317
norm

Re: Monomoy An Island Again

Post by norm »

Last time I searched the internet, soon after the storm that caused it, I could not find good info on where the breach in south beach was located exactly. A quick search tonight revealed tons of information on a Facebook page that is open to the public: https://www.facebook.com/ChathamSouthway?ref=nf&filter=1 There are great pictures and videos, including aerial shots, showing exactly where the break is.

Looking back at our pictures in the "Cape Cod Part 7" trip report, I think the break is a little south of where Briggsy, Kate and I portaged across south beach when we circumnavigated Monomoy last year on May 31st. The new opening looks to me like it will have a huge amount of water flowing through it due to it's location. I wonder if it will screw up the channel near Morris Island, filling it with sand. My guess is that the breach will get deeper and become more navigable for the bigger boats.

The new opening to the Atlantic side is likely to change the dynamics of a southway trip to Monomoy as I've come to know it with Briggsy in the last 3 or 4 years. Launching from Morris Island causeway started as a fairly protected easy paddle down the southway for about 5 miles before crossing the sand bars out into Nantucket Sound. Now we may have to pay more attention to the currents that are likely to flow through the breach.

Another concern may be that the sharks might want to use the new access to the sound instead of staying out on the ocean side of south beach.

There may be some new trip possibilities available, like launching at the Morris Island causeway and travel out and up into Pleasant Bay. That's one place on the cape I have not been to yet.

Hopefully the weather will turn around for the better this week and we can get back on the open water soon!
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

Is Hardings beach a reasonable place to launch from for Monomoy? How difficult is parking on peak summer weekends?
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

josko wrote:Is Hardings beach a reasonable place to launch from for Monomoy? How difficult is parking on peak summer weekends?

My niece use to live right down the street from Hardings. If I remember correctly, I believe there is a fee to park there.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

josko wrote:Is Hardings beach a reasonable place to launch from for Monomoy? How difficult is parking on peak summer weekends?

There's a great local free spot in Stage Harbor that Briggsy pointed out to us a few years ago that is good if you only have one or two vehicles and get there early. It is at the end of Battlefield Road. There is only room for a total of 6 to 8 cars.

Here's a Google picture of the location with "A" marking the spot. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=87+Battlefield+Road,+Chatham,+MA&hl=en&ll=41.661948,-69.97437&spn=0.023052,0.056562&sll=41.667077,-69.97584&sspn=0.005763,0.014141&t=h&hnear=87+Battlefield+Rd,+Chatham,+Massachusetts+02633&z=15

We've been using the Morris Island Causeway the last 2 years or so and going down the southway.

Josko - if you're thinking about going out to see the break in south beach, contact Briggsy. He wants to go out there soon if he hasn't already gone. I'd like to go but I'm too busy for another few weeks.
josko

Post by josko »

Actually, I'm looking for a place to stage an AMC trip to Monomoy. Hardings would be ideal as long as they don't hassle us with respect to launching, landing etc. and assuming there is actually a place to park at say ~0830 on a weekend morning.
norm

Post by norm »

Josko - what's wrong with Morris Island Causeway?
josko

Post by josko »

I don't know - I've never been there. Is there sufficient parking, and how long a carry is it to the water?
norm

Post by norm »

Morris Island Causeway is a paved road with low steel rope guardrails on both sides that are fairly easy to step over. Parking is allowed only on the east side of the road. There is a private neighborhood marked by signs at the end of the causeway.

Here is a Google Maps link that shows a picture of the area where we usually park. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.663631,-69.958988&num=1&t=h&z=16

As you look at this picture, we normally launch to the right of the road. There are a couple trails to the water from the road. The ground cover is just low bushes, grass and some small trees. There is nothing marked on the roadway or guardrail to show the best spot to reach the water, the paths are not obvious, just small gaps visible in the low bushes. At the end of the straightaway are the signs about the rest of the area being private property. We usually turn around there and head back to park on the east side of the road. I believe there are signs about not parking on the west side.

I think the long stretch of road could accommodate more than 20 cars but the carry to the water would be long if you had that many vehicles. I don't recall if I have ever parked there on a weekend, so I'm not sure how crowded it gets. Most of the trips I've done in this area have been on weekdays, Wednesday or Thursday, and we only had 4 or 5 cars.

The spot I have marked on the map is good at just about all tides but it is very shallow at low tide. It is possible to launch to the Stage Harbor side but I have not done that for a planned trip. I did portage across the causeway once on a spring trip that got too rough for Lora and I 3 or 4 years ago, so that is one time I have launched on the Stage Harbor side to get back to Battlefield Road.

An address that should work in a car GPS is 300 Morris Island Road, Chatham.

Check out the trip reports for info on the are from our previous trips if you have not already done that. We can talk Saturday night if you can make it to Ron's party.

Actually, the most recent trip I went on to Monomoy, is in this trip report: http://wtpaddlers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3040 and the first picture shows a bit of Morris Island Causeway and the last picture from Bea shows the launch area at low tide.

I've been looking back at pictures from last summer that I never had time to put into trip reports. The next one I'll be posting is about a trip with Sue, Briggsy and his Mom where we made it to the lighthouse. Not sure I'll have time to get it done by Saturday but I want to get it online to show the renovation progress at the lighthouse for future reference.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Harding's Beach is great as an off-season launch point for Monomoy. Assuming people can launch/land through mild surf. Morris Island is certainly more protected.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

josko wrote:Actually, I'm looking for a place to stage an AMC trip to Monomoy. Hardings would be ideal as long as they don't hassle us with respect to launching, landing etc. and assuming there is actually a place to park at say ~0830 on a weekend morning.

When are you planning on running the trip? If you want to do a pre-trip check of the area, pm me and we can get together...I am off weds and thurs every week.
Briggsy
josko

Post by josko »

..thinking about running it in late July or early August, right in the peak of 'parking season'; hence my question was all about whether one can reliably find parking at Hardings around 0900 in mid summer, nev-mind the $15/day parking fee. I understand the beach policy is to let kayaks launch and land outside the marked swimming area.

Dave, I'd love to paddle Monomoy with you early this season. Mid-week should work well, especially if this sequester furlough kicks in. Then I'll really have tons of time to paddle.

Similarly, if anyone here is inrterested in paddling Woods Hole, I have the place scoped out and would be glad to join you.