Camping Gear - Air Mattress

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Camping Gear - Air Mattress

Post by norm »

I'm thinking of upgrading my cheap Walmart air mattress with something of better quality. I'd like something that packs small but has a good thickness and holds air.

Any recommendations?
Skip

Re: Camping Gear - Air Mattress

Post by Skip »

How about a paddle float :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket
Chip

Post by Chip »

Check out the Big Agnes line.
REI still has some of the AIR CORE mattresses on clearance. The new ones are really nice. Q-CORE. Jordan and Tracy have those. A little pricey. REI makes a similar pad now as well, the STRATUS. They are 2.5 inches think. 3 season. Comfortable.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I just brought the thermolite neoair it got really good reviews
Joseph
Cetus LV
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Nemo has one with a pump in it, you won't pass out trying to inflate it. Exped is another company that has really great mats with pumps in them.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I strongly recommend the Exped line of sleeping pads. Not an air mattress - every bit as comfy, and warmer. I use the Synmat 7 model.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Also check out the luxurylite cots. Expensive, but lifetime warranty. A friend of mine has one and loves it; it packs down small.

Keeps you about 4" off the ground, so your tent site doesn't have to be perfectly flat.

It looks like thermarest owns them now
http://www.rei.com/product/846490/therm ... ralite-cot

Ron

Post by Ron »

That looks pretty cool.
Image P&H Cetus HV
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I spent three weeks sleeping on the ground because of one of those stupid Big Agnes pads, failed miserably about 4 days into a 24 day trip. De-laminated and couldn't be field repaired. Was the third Big Agnes pad in a row that failed on me, I'd never trust anything big agnes again. Switched over to a therma rest trail pro and that worked great for three months no problems...

Since then I've upgraded to an Exped. The exped has been great; warm, comfortable, and easy to inflate thanks to the built in pump. Not the lightest thing, (I picked up a therma rest neo air for light back packing) but great for the beach, where it surfs over the many bumps rocks and roots you might find on back country campsites. A great piece of gear...

http://www.rei.com/product/780367/exped ... -with-pump

The Nemo looks pretty nice as well from what I've seen... http://www.rei.com/product/847718/nemo- ... eeping-pad

They're all a little pricey, but I find a good nites rest is well worth it...
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks for all the feedback and strong recommendations.
norm

Post by norm »

Well, I think I've decided to go with the Nemo Cosmo Insulated Air Sleeping Pad that John mentioned above. After looking at reviews and videos of how it's integral foot pump works versus the Exped's hand pump, I think it's the better choice for me. I would rather stand up and pump the mattress than kneel down because of my knees - I need to minimize how often and how long I kneel down and there's plenty of that already when camping. It will be nice to leave the heavy battery operated air pump at home. I hope the integral pump doesn't turn out to be a problem in the future - the intake valves don't look like an external pump would mate with them easily.

The Nemo is a also a little thicker and wider than the Exped which I could use at my size. I hope it stands up as well and earns the same accolades that Kate gave the Exped.

The clincher was that my REI dividend is now available along with a 20% off one item discount, so the steep price is much less painfull.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Good choice!
Chip

Post by Chip »

I was messing around with the Exped Synmat 7 the other day. The hand pump works very well. What I also like is they have a wide regular so you don't have the get the 78 inch pad to get the extra width.
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:I was messing around with the Exped Synmat 7 the other day. The hand pump works very well. What I also like is they have a wide regular so you don't have the get the 78 inch pad to get the extra width.

For those short wide people....
Chip

Post by Chip »

norm wrote:
Chip wrote:I was messing around with the Exped Synmat 7 the other day. The hand pump works very well. What I also like is they have a wide regular so you don't have the get the 78 inch pad to get the extra width.

For those short wide people....

yup