Whale Watch 2 ??? - Saturday, May 4th ???

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Whale Watch 2 ??? - Saturday, May 4th ???

Post by norm »

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend again. Would people like to try to do another whale watch paddle, but in Plymouth this time?

I only know Plymouth Harbor and Eileen said the whales were off Manomet. That's a little too far to paddle from the harbor at this time of the season. I have no idea about where a group could park and launch easily in Manomet. There is also the consideration of a mid-day low tide. If there is a good launch spot, is it accessible at all tides?

So what do people think? Should we try for whales again this weekend? If yes, we'll need some informational support from all our Plymouth friends. Or if you want Eileen, you could plan and post the trip and I'll join you. I'm still too busy these days to do as much planning as I would like to do.

If there is interest and we come to a consensus on when and where to meet, we should move the discussion to the "Upcoming Trips" forum.

Norm
Azane
antispam: No

Re: Whale Watch 2 ??? - Saturday, May 4th ???

Post by Azane »

Great! Steve and Abby would be interested in a Plymouth adventure.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Kris C

Post by Kris C »

I was going to go play off Westport on a RiCKA trip, but I could be pretty easily swayed to head to Plymouth instead... ;)
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I know there are 2 places to access the water down at White Horse Beach. Thursday I will take a drive down to see how far the nearest parking is from the access points.
The first point I know is next to the old Full Sail Bar and the other is a small boat ramp at the other end of the beach. I do not know how far you have to walk from legal parking spots.
See link
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Taylo ... sz=18&z=15
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks Ken. Is there enough space on the sides of those roads to park?

I was cruising the coast on Google, looking for a public spot and came across Ellisville Harbor State Park and it looks like there is a road at the southern side of it that ends near a beach with space to park a few cars. Do you know anything about this spot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.83888,-70.537192&hl=en&ll=41.837467,-70.536904&spn=0.016179,0.03798&num=1&t=h&z=15

Thanks,
Norm
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I was going to try to make this but the wife found out last minute see has to work so it looks like I am on kid duty on Saturday have fun.
Joseph
Cetus LV
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

I'd be interested in joining everyone on this one!

Audrey
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

LOL :? :? Norm,
After driving the road twice, I took a road that somewhat went towards the coast. 1/4mile down it split with a dead end to the right and a private roads-residents only to the left. I ignored the sign ands took the road to the left, waving to the old ladies as I drove by.
Sure enough I found the parking lot that you indicated on you link and walked out to the beach. What an incredible treasure! There are about 4 or 5 parking spots at most, and the carry out to the water would be acceptable.
The property has signs for The Natures Conservatory. http://www.nature.org/
When leaving I tried to follow Salt Marsh Lane beyond the parking lot. It quickly became 2 feet too narrow for my truck so I backed out.
Salt Marsh Lane is someone’s drive way, there is not street sigh but a not trespassing sign.
Overall the site looks feasible, come in off of Lookout Point Road. just ignore the residents only sign.
KR
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Hi. I paddled from Manomet Point almost to Ellisville today, and there were no whales. I saw a news blurb yesterday from Race Point, and they were there again. Mid week there were 60 between Scituate and Green Harbor. It's a baffling year. l'm watching the forecast in hopes of making it out to ptown, but it's looking too rough. if it's going to be rough there, we could put in at my house in a futile attempt, hoping they came back to this side. We'd have to use some creativity with parking. I'll see if I can find out more, and will post again tomorrow. I'm in Sagamore Beach now.
Eileen
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

The forecast for Saturday is not looking good - winds to 20 knots, seas 3 feet or more. Sunday is looking better with winds forecasted to drop to 9 knots , but seas at Race Point will stlll be 3 feet. Race Point low tide is 2:30 on Sunday, so if the seas drop, then a put in of about 11 would be ideal. I'll watch this to see if it changes, but at this point I'd say this weekend is a bust.
Eileen
norm

Post by norm »

The weather forecast for open water is not looking good right through Saturday night now, with small craft advisories Friday and the forecast for Saturday looking about the same even thought the small craft advisories are not up for Saturday yet. Mass Bay and Ipswich Bays have small craft advisories up through Saturday night already.

I'm thinking of paddling somewhere else on Saturday. Not sure where yet. I need work on my stamina so I gotta get out somewhere and do 10 to 12 miles.

Maybe it would be nice to do an upper Charles River trip Saturday since the winds are so high on the coast. It might be a pretty trip with the trees blossoming. I'll think about that and maybe post something this afternoon. Chime in if you see this and might like to do a Charles River trip...

Here's the marine forecast for Cape Cod Bay:

Forecast as of 7:17 am EDT on May 3, 2013
Small Craft Advisory in effect through this evening
Cape Cod Bay-
Today
NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Tonight
NE winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 2 ft.
Sat
NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Gusts up to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Sat Night
NE winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Sun
E winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 2 ft.
norm

Post by norm »

Eileen wrote:The forecast for Saturday is not looking good - winds to 20 knots, seas 3 feet or more. Sunday is looking better with winds forecasted to drop to 9 knots , but seas at Race Point will stlll be 3 feet. Race Point low tide is 2:30 on Sunday, so if the seas drop, then a put in of about 11 would be ideal. I'll watch this to see if it changes, but at this point I'd say this weekend is a bust.

I guess we were researching and typing a message at about the same time. Looks like we agree that open water is not a good idea for Saturday...