Sleeping Bag Liner

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Sleeping Bag Liner

Post by norm »

I was chatting with Chip last night on the water in Hingham about the upcoming REI sale, trying to think of anything else I need to get or upgrade before camping this season. Couldn't think of anything while paddling, but when I got home I remembered something John mentioned at the camping seminar. A liner for your sleeping bag. I did a little research and I'm thinking about getting the "Cocoon Microfiber Mummy Liner" which costs about $25. I'm not sure I'll like a liner, so I don't want to spend much more than that anyway, but I was wondering if there are opinions out there from some of the more experienced campers.

1. Is microfiber a good material for a sleeping bag liner?

2. Is cotton or fleece more comfortable and better as a liner? (Not spending the money for silk)

3. Is "Cocoon" a good brand?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Norm
noseykate

Re: Sleeping Bag Liner

Post by noseykate »

Why do you want a liner? Do you expect to camp in conditions colder than your bag is rated for? That's the only reason I can think of for one (and it'll only buy you 5 or 10 degrees more), unless it's to keep the bag cleaner - but really, are you going to camp THAT often, that a liner would be required?

That said, I do own a liner (microfiber, I think - it wasn't expensive) which I have never used. I bought it for a northern camping trip but didn't use it, and never took it on another trip. Want mine?

NK
norm

Post by norm »

noseykate wrote:Why do you want a liner? Do you expect to camp in conditions colder than your bag is rated for?
NK

Just the opposite, I'm looking for less/cooler cover during the warm summer nights that I hope to camp in this year...and then just zip up the bag if it cools down during the night. Also want to keep the expensive sleeping bag cleaner.

Thanks for the offer, but you should keep yours. With all your adventures, you'll need it some day.

Norm
Anne.B
antispam: No

Post by Anne.B »

Norm -
I have that liner. I don't like it as well as the rip stop one that came with my "now antique" winter Holubar bag which has snaps all the way down the zipper and ties around the baffle at ones shoulders and covers the top and bottom of the head hood. That being said, I use the cocoon with my new summer bag, primarily to keep the bag clean. It is supposed to add about 5 degrees to the bag. I have used it by itself (no tent) on top of my bag and pad and tarp and it does keep the bugs at bay. Also dries quickly.
Anne.B
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125
Impex Force Cap 5
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Norm,
I thought about a liner once, just to keep the sleeping bag cleaner, they say that over time body oils etc can have an effect on the sleeping bag insulation. So I made one from an old bedsheet just to try it, before shelling out $$$$. It was OK if you weren't in the sleeping bag, say on a hot summer night, but in the wee hours when it cools right off and you zip up the sleeping bag, its like sleeping inside a straightjacket. Very constrictive. So, I went to Marshalls to see what they had for "pajama" type wear. They had some really thin,long leg sports underwear type thing and a similar long sleeved T-shirt. I got one size bigger than I needed so it would be looser fitting. They pack up really small, the same size as a sleep sheet, and are much more comfortable in my opinion than a sleep sheet inside a sleeping bag.
Briggsy
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

Norm
FYI I was at ems yesterday and all sea to summit stuff is 25% I use the sea to summit reactor it works ok can't say it adds any warmth but it is soft
Joseph
Cetus LV
mtnbiker26

Post by mtnbiker26 »

Norm,
I have a Sea to Summit cotton flannel liner that I use for the same reasons you mentioned. My mummy bag is a high end down bag so I feel like I should try to keep it clean by using a liner. I've done a few multi-day backpacking trips without bathing and it feels wrong to put the bag back in storage all dirty. On very warm nights I sleep in the liner and on top of the mummy bag or if it's just a little cool I sleep in the liner and in the bag but only partially zipped. I think it's worth the purchase price to have more comfort/temperature options and not feel like I'm sliding into a filthy bag.
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll get one before my next camping trip. Hopefully the weathere will be warm enough that I'll want to use it instead of the sleeping bag.
Anne.B

Post by Anne.B »

Norm -

My cocoon is coolmax, so it dries quickly, and is knitted, so it stretches and is therefore not constrictive.

Anne