New to Wild Turkey - Boston Harbor

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

JohnnySmooth
antispam: No

New to Wild Turkey - Boston Harbor

Post by JohnnySmooth »

Hi everyone,
Bought a used kayak couple of yrs back ('94 vintage P&H Ice Floe) and have been steadily getting into the sport. Would put me at a solid level 2+ currently. Split time in boat with time on bike so not out quite as ften as many of you.

Regardless, living here in Milton do get out in Boston Harbor fairly frequently though the thought of getting to Hingham in rush hour traffic on a Thurs eve seems daunting. Rt now, typically launch from either Milton landing on Neponset for a quick paddle or on weekend head out to Squantum to the yacht club/public landing and put in there to paddle around the harbor islands.

So, would be happy to join other(s) in some paddling and pick up some additional skills (e.g., was on Vineyard paddling in some heavy winds and 2' chop - challenging to say the least with a lot of weathercocking).

Look forward to meeting the various paddlers of Wild Turkey.

John

PS, did AMC skills training last yr at Lovells where one of the paddlers, Jim, suggested I ck out Wild Turkey. Been bit of a lurker ever since, finally jumped in.
'94 vintage P&H Ice Floe
'13 Tiderace Xcite
josko

Re: New to Wild Turkey - Boston Harbor

Post by josko »

Hi John,

there are plenty of opportunities to paddle this summer. I do a lot of trips out of Woods Hole. You might like the August 17 and 18 'Intro. to Woods Hole' trips or even, if you feel up to 17-18 miles, the circumnavigation of Naushon on June 15. They are listed in the 'Upcoming Trips' section here. I know Woods Hole is a bit of a haul for you, but it's a nice area.
AMC is doing a 'leader tuneup' at lake Cochituate tomorrow, 6/1 (a nice intermediate paddler clinic), and you'll find a steady stream of clinics and trips on the AMC website. I see Boston harbor sea kayaking trips for 6/15, 6/29, 7/12-14, 7/20, etc.
Speaking strictly from my experience, I've found 'the turkeys' don't really post that many trips on this website - many of them run off an email list. Showing up for Thursday sessions is a great way to learn of upciming trips.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Welcome John,
A good way to connect with many group members is to attend our alternating Thursday night paddles. Next Thursday will be at a pond in Hanson for skills practice and the following Thursday we'll be at Hingham Harbor for group paddle. We alternate like that based on the tide at Hingham. People usually go out for dinner afterward.

There is more information about this here:

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/thursnight.html
http://www.wtpaddlers.org/skills.html
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
JohnnySmooth

Post by JohnnySmooth »

Thanks Josko and Birdseye for the replies and suggestions.

As a member of AMC have seen the many trips planned, challenge for me is working it around an already pretty full summer schedule as I am getting a married in a couple of weeks. That being said, hope to get in on a few of those and will be doing a skills training workshop with Tom and Marjorie on 7/20 I believe.

My whole life I've been traveling to MV via Woods Hole and one of my future trips, once I perfect skills is to head-out from Woods Hole and circumnavigate the Island, camping along the way. Not happening this year, maybe next.

But Josko, I do know Woods Hole extremely well, use to work with WHOI and would at some point love to join you on one of those adventures so please keep me tuned.

And I'll try to make it out to Hanson for some skills one of these Thurs nights.

Happy paddling,
John
'94 vintage P&H Ice Floe
'13 Tiderace Xcite