AMC Navigation + Group Training - Hingham - August 3rd

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

AMC Navigation + Group Training - Hingham - August 3rd

Post by norm »

I just got back from a week in Stonington Maine where we had to practice a lot of navigation to know where we were at all times since none of us were thoroughly familiar with the area and there was always the danger of fog rolling in. Most if not all of the trip leaders had a "Small Craft Nav Aid" device that was very handy for use in figuring out which island we were looking at from the charts we had on our decks.

There is an AMC Class to be held in our home waters of Hingham Harbor on August 3rd and it will be led by Rick Hens who I paddled with 5 days last week. The class will include some on-shore instruction in how to use the nav aid device and will also include group cohesion techniques. We used some of the cohesion techniques on a 19 mile trip that Rick led which included multiple 3+ mile open water crossings in busy waters full of lobster boats.

There is a fee for this class, to cover the cost of the nav aid and the booklet that comes with it. I think the cost is $20.

Pre-registration is necessary, so they can buy the materials in advance and make sure there are enough instructors to help with the practical exercises if there is a large number of participants. When registering, ask about the cost and the time to arrive as it is not listed on the AMC website.

Rick Hens is the registrar as well as the leader of this clinic, so contact him via email at rhens@comcast.net if you plan to attend.

Please register as soon as possible so they can make the appropriate plans.

Read more about the clinic on the AMC website at: http://www.amcboston.org/trips/tripID/68267
norm

Re: AMC Navigation + Group Training - Hingham - August 3rd

Post by norm »

As of 7/16/13, 9:00am, the latest news from the organizer is that there is only one slot left for this clinic.
norm

Post by norm »

I believe this clinic is now full.
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Because I will most likely be traveling this weekend, I just withdrew so there is at least 1 open spot as of Monday @ 0800.
KR
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

There was someone on West Island, Saturday, that mentioned wanting to go, if there was a cacellation.
I cannot remember who it was.

Norm????
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

That was me I just emailed him
Joseph
Cetus LV
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I got a response Ken was the 11th so there was not spots left.
Joseph
Cetus LV
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Sorry Joe,
I had told Rick right from the beginning that if it was a nice weekend that I wouldn't be able to make it due to my anniversary. This was the one weekend I was hopping to be crappy so I could go to the clinic.
KR