Launch on CT river near Amherst, MA?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

josko
antispam: No

Launch on CT river near Amherst, MA?

Post by josko »

My son's at Amherst college, and I'm hoping to take him kayaking on the Connecticut river next week. Would anybody know how to find a put-in somewhere near Amherst? I've never been there, so if anyone's paddled the river in that area, I'd be grateful for any info. We're hoping to head upriver to Turners Falls and then back down.
pallen661

Re: Launch on CT river near Amherst, MA?

Post by pallen661 »

Paddling.net's launch site finder has one on Kellog Hill Rd, just north of Hatfield on the opposite bank of the river from Amherst. No info about parking and the like however.

best

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
cgr

Post by cgr »

I know that people put in in Holyoke at Waveosaurus(google dinosaur footprints in holyoke), it's about 2 miles upriver from holyoke dam. There is a surf feature there at high levels(~40,000 cfs), I don't know what the current is like for upriver travel at lower flow. I also have seen a umass boathouse along rt 5 ; that should have less current.

Traveling on rt 91 in Northhampton there is a good size marina on an oxbow section of the river just off of the highway.

Since you like bbq make sure that you go to Bubbs!
http://www.bubsbbq.com/ordereze/default.aspx

Also - I would bet that Amherst outing club could point you & your son to some put in locations.
josko

Post by josko »

We've decided to launch at the Sportsmans marina,http://www.smihadley.com/ on the Rt 9 (Calvin Coolidge) bridge. It seems like a very kayak-friendly place.
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Josko,
See attached map. I believe Kit and I launch at or near the ranger/info building on Damon Rd, Northampton. It was over 10 years ago so, I don't know if it is still available. We may have just stopped there to ask and they pointed us to a launch point.

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Damo ... s&t=m&z=14
KR
josko

Post by josko »

Launched at Sportsmans marina for an absolutely great day on the water. We saw more bald eagles than (moving) motorboats all day. I was very surprised at the beauty of that section of the river, as it's in a fairly densely populated section.
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Josko,

Sounds like you had a great Father/Son day.

Did you happen to get any pictures?

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow