Sunset Lake!

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Azane
antispam: No

Sunset Lake!

Post by Azane »

Neat new "discovery" (actually a suggestion from Norm C.) just beyond SS Plaza in Braintree...swell little pond, only 4 miles from Quincy Center. Size wise, maybe 10-15% larger than Hanson Pond. Warm water, sandy bottom in the "swimming area." Loads of parking So...here we go rolling again! See ya there?

Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
josko

Re: Sunset Lake!

Post by josko »

Is there an issue with the Hanson pond?
Azane

Post by Azane »

Cheers Josko. No issue to my knowledge. Jus' closer for some is all, for those who like to get out 2-3x per week and live near by.

ST
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

When Mark and I lived in Braintree for a year, we also "discovered" this lake. Jordan and Chip and Ron and others were kind enough to give it a try as the new, improved Hanson alternative, but as summer warmed up it quickly became obvious that this pond wasn't what we'd hoped. It's shallow and becomes VERY seaweed-ish. As I recall, the North Shore Paddlers even held an event there in early summer - a demo day? I can't recall. I'll bet Nelson would remember though.... :)

Believe me, I wish it were otherwise because it's closer to me and maybe MAYBE I could actually make it there after work. If it's working for you right now, great! Just be aware that for mid-summer we'll (and maybe you'll) likely want to stick to Hanson.

NK
Azane

Post by Azane »

To your point...we did a quick "trip around the pond" before getting wet and did find the extreme end of the pond to be overgrown (undergrown?)..the put-in area/swimming is marked off, like Hanson and was both sandy and weed-free. Pretty much ideal, except when we were there is was very windy.

ST
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
cgr

Post by cgr »

It's also minutes away from Tennessee's BBQ!
norm

Post by norm »

cgr wrote:It's also minutes away from Tennessee's BBQ!

Not that appealing to vegetarians... :D