Workshop series on navigation, trip planning, etc.

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Doug

Workshop series on navigation, trip planning, etc.

Post by Doug »

Pat, I'm putting together a workshop series on navigation, trip planning, boat packing, ration/menu planning, decision making, group management etc. to be hosted at the Marshfield Audubon office on 3A. We are still working out details but, we plan to run it on thursday nights in January and February. It might be something for folks interested in keeping the paddling theme going through the dead of winter. I'll keep you posted. Also, Chip, Ron, Carolyn Sones and Sarah and I will be hosting a presentation on paddling Alaska on Saturday night, December 14th at our house in Marshfield. Any and all Wild Turkeys are welcome. Maybe we could get Mark Stephens and Johnny Smoke to tell a tale or two about their time there too. I will post the details on Ron's Prince William Sound thread.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
NorwayLady

Re: Thursday night, year 'round

Post by NorwayLady »

Doug wrote:Pat, I'm putting together a workshop series on navigation, trip planning, boat packing, ration/menu planning, decision making, group management etc. to be hosted at the Marshfield Audubon office on 3A. We are still working out details but, we plan to run it on thursday nights in January and February. It might be something for folks interested in keeping the paddling theme going through the dead of winter. I'll keep you posted. Also, Chip, Ron, Carolyn Sones and Sarah and I will be hosting a presentation on paddling Alaska on Saturday night, December 14th at our house in Marshfield. Any and all Wild Turkeys are welcome. Maybe we could get Mark Stephens and Johnny Smoke to tell a tale or two about their time there too. I will post the details on Ron's Prince William Sound thread.

This all sounds great, Doug! Keep us posted.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
NorwayLady

Re: Thursday night, year 'round

Post by NorwayLady »

This video by the Ylvis brothers shows how to put up a tent in a moving space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF4QShDjP7I
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Doug

Re: Workshop series on navigation, trip planning, etc.

Post by Doug »

Here is a description of the workshops in the series. More information from Audubon will be available soon. I will post a notice when registration becomes active.

Thursday, January 23 "Adventures in Wanderlust" Join us as we explore the entrenched yearning for adventure that so many of us kindle. We will take to the sea in kayaks as we consider the magnetism of the Latin word adventurus " about to happen". Through photos, journal entries, stories, audience participation and observations from students, Senior National Outdoor Leadership School Instructor Douglas Lowry will celebrate our universal attraction to the limitless opportunities and challenges that await us in Nature's classroom when we set out with provisions and open hearts.

Thursday, January 30 "Planning Your Next Adventure" Have you been planning a trip but could use a little less angst and a lot more confidence? As we create a "to do list" to help get you started on your next adventure, the focus will be on sea kayak camping trips but, most of the information we will share will carry over into whatever vehicle you choose to explore. We will cover group dynamics, environmental considerations, technical plans, menus and rationing and risk management. A solid plan opens up the freedom of flexibility and spontaneity, keys to assuring fun and success. This workshop is appropriate if you are planning a family weekend getaway or a multi week adventure to parts unknown.

Thursday, February 6 "Packing the Creature Comforts" We all have different ideas of what the definition of "camping" is, most of us conclude camping is a lot more agreeable when you can stay warm, dry, clean and well fed. This installment of our series, using packing lists, will focus on prioritizing the gear that's essential for making your trip into the wilderness comfortable and resourceful. We will demonstrate how one can pack a month's worth of provisions and gear and pack it into a sea kayak. Again, though the focus will be on sea kayaking, the information we share will easily crossover to any mode of camping.

Thursday, February 13 "Small Craft Navigation" This hands on workshop will familiarize folks with charts, plotting, route finding, weather, ocean hazards and decision making on the water. GPS use is often replacing the practical application of this basic craft. Join us as we celebrate the skill of writing a float plan and navigating before we even get on the water.

Saturday, February 15 "Backcountry Stromboli?" Do you want to get invited to join the next great expedition? Become a seasoned outdoor cook. This three hour workshop will focus on everything you need to be come proficient and confident wielding pots and pans in the backcountry. From recipes and rationing to menu planning and paired comparisons of cooking gear we will fire up the stoves and sauté, bake, broil and fry a number of backcountry dishes that will get your family and friends eager to sign up for the next camping trip.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Which workshop is the one that instructs me on getting my Blodgett pizza oven stowed into the rear hatch?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Doug

Post by Doug »

Pat, I had to look up Blodgett pizza oven, I'm pretty sure we could/should cover how to pack one in a kayak throughout the series. We might need to remove the legs to get it in the back hatch, if it's you making the pizza, we will find a way.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Removing the legs shouldn't be a problem. I mean, packing a full-sized Blodgett oven WITH the legs on? Well that would just be foolish. And I'm all about the sensible.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hi Doug,
Is this an all or nothing series or can you order a la carte and attend 1 or 2? Keeping with the food theme.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Doug

Post by Doug »

Chip, no. You can sign up for them individually. I believe each session will be $8 for members, $10 for non-members. The cooking class I believe is a little more. Audubon will have this up on their website soon.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Here is the link to Audubon's registration page. http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors ... anctuary=5 They do want people to pre-register. If you have any questions about more specifics about the content of the workshops, please e-mail me at douglowry@mac.com.
Ron

Post by Ron »

They are taking registrations now. They have space for about 25 people. Sign up for all 4 and get a $5 discount. The cost for non-members is $14.
Image P&H Cetus HV
norm

Post by norm »

I signed up for the 4 Thursday night lectures...but I didn't get any discount. (Not a problem, just sayin'.) I have no interest in the Saturday cooking session...

How many other Turkeys are planning to go to these lectures?

Anybody else interested in Bea's idea of getting together before or after the lectures?

My preference would be to get together before the lectures since I do have to get up for work on Fridays. The lectures run 7:00 to 9:00pm. There seem to be a couple restaurants along 139 in Marshfield that we could try...
Ron

Post by Ron »

The lectures are at the Audubon on 3A near the North River. (2000 Main St., Marshfield)
Image P&H Cetus HV
KenW
antispam: No

Post by KenW »

I'm signed up for all five and did get the discount. I did have to remind the girl that there was a multiple session discount as she did not figure it in when asking for payment.
I would be interested in getting together either before or after the sessions.