Garmin GPS Models

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Garmin GPS Models

Post by norm »

Which Garmin handheld GPS models do people have? Anybody have the GPSMAP 78sc?

I got an email from West Marine today with previews of one day sale items for the next week. It says the 78sc will be on sale at 50% off next Wednesday, December 18th. I assume that is 50% off their regular list price which is about $450. I'm tempted to pick one up if it's priced at $225 since that model includes BlueCharts for the US along with a bunch of other good sounding features. The screen size and resolution is not great, but the features sound very good.

Here's the link to the description: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_11151_10001_495792_-1#.UqiEK-Ia6Hc

Anybody have an opinion on this model?

Thanks,
Norm
Ron

Re: Garmin GPS Models

Post by Ron »

I have the 78s. I do not know if the c just means charts. The only complaint I have is I can not find the tides on this model. I had them on the last one which I think was the 76.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have the older version of this. Works for me. I don't do what you do with the data.
http://www.rei.com/product/805907/garmin-gpsmap-62s-gps
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I haven't looked at their models for a while. What's important to me would be a decent sized display. I have enough trouble finding the GPS on top of my boat, never mind seeing a small display.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

pat wrote:I haven't looked at their models for a while. What's important to me would be a decent sized display. I have enough trouble finding the GPS on top of my boat, never mind seeing a small display.

I'm resigned to the fact that I've got to start bringing reading glasses on trips to new places from now on. Just can't read the details on charts any more. So I guess I can deal with a smaller display since I'll have glasses anyway. The GPS I have now has a nice big display but no Blue Charts data. Using topo software as you go further offshore is fairly useless. I had a couple situations in fog last year where it would have been nice to have more useful software to confirm our position quickly. One time we had to raft up and find our position on the chart using the Lat/Lon from the GPS - that was no fun. Would have been nice to just zoom out and see where we were in relation to Isle Au Haut.
Doug

Post by Doug »

My wife Sarah who is without question smarter than me, once shamed me into finally buying a computer after bringing home from work yet another e-mail for me using her as a conduit, by handing me this quote by Eric Hoffer: “In a world of change, the learners shall inherit the earth, while the learned shall find themselves perfectly suited for a world that no longer exists.” This same quote drove me to purchase a GPS unit. In all my travels, I never found myself needing one but, I have come to realize the usefulness of this "new" technology: tethered to your kayak, they make a great sea anchor.

No seriously, still struggling how to incorporate the tool using practical applications, people use them with great success, a steep learning curve still ahead for me. Happy to learn from somebody in trade for a lesson on terrain association, ded-reckoning etc.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
Chip

Post by Chip »

I think a lot of us use the GPS as way to get statistics to either use on the water or later on a computer. Distance, speed, time of day, overlay route onto google maps, etc.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

For my use, Chip is right. The GPS answers a lot of questions for me.

Does this change in paddling style have an effect on my speed?
I feel tired. Have we paddled far enough to justify fatigue?
How much does this wind (or current) affect our speed?
Does this sprayskirt make me look fat?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

In my case the answers are always
Does this change in paddling style have an effect on my speed?
Probably not
I feel tired. Have we paddled far enough to justify fatigue?
No keep paddling see answer to last question
Does this sprayskirt make me look fat?
Yes that is the reason for question two
Joseph
Cetus LV
Griffd
antispam: No

Post by Griffd »

Hi Norm,

Have you looked at the Delorme PN60? What's nice about this company is that, in addition to the maps supplied with the GPS, you can purchase additional annual subscriptions such as the Delorme Mappack Map Library ($25.95) and/or the DigitalGlobe Map Library ($29.95). Both allow unlimited downloads. For a detailed description, go to DELORME.com

Dave
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

I took a look at the DeLorme model mentioned by Dave, but the reviews I saw were not at all positive and the price was much steeper than $225.

I ended up buying the Garmin yesterday but with this weather, I don't think there will be a chance to use it on the water for a while. I guess I should be able to find some time to familiarize myself with the features before I need to use them on a paddling trip.

I hear that somebody else bought the 78sc yesterday too. Not sure if this thread made him aware of the good deal or not. Can't wait to get out in the Maine fog banks to try this out. Of course it will only be used as a backup to confirm the location we're plotting on a chart.

Norm
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Norm,
I will gladly take you out on the motor moat and teach you how to use it
KR
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

Norm,
I have the delorme and I can vouch for the reviews most of the complaints are vaild
Joseph
Cetus LV