Hull Snow Row 2014

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Hull Snow Row 2014

Post by norm »

I was out at Hull High School last Friday night for a basketball game and being at Hull Gut in winter made me think of the Hull Lifesaving Museum's Snow Row race, so I looked up when it will be this year. It is on March 1st.

A few of us participated in 2012. I don't know anyone that did it in 2013 and I don't remember if the weather was bad, but there were fewer kayakers on the 2013 results.

I'm don't know yet if I'm interested in going this year. I'll post something in the "Upcoming Trips" forum if I decide to go.

Here is the link to the race info on the Hull Lifesaving Museum website: http://www.lifesavingmuseum.org/programsandworkshops.html#snowrow
Marshall
antispam: No

Re: Hull Snow Row 2014

Post by Marshall »

Looks like a fun short race. I might be up for it but won't know till closer to the date. Is there a registration cutoff date? I didn't see it on the first read.
See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com
www.hudsonriverpaddler.org
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Marshall, you can register the morning of, it's a pretty low key scene...
Marshall

Post by Marshall »

Excellent! Maybe this arctic vortex stuff will be done by then.

Considering the Hudson's frozen solid it may be just pool sessions till then.
See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com
www.hudsonriverpaddler.org
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Given the polar vortex and all, anyone doing this?
norm

Post by norm »

Thinking about it seriously. There was a possibility I'd have a conflict but I no longer have that excuse. Now it's a matter of whether I feel willing to deal with the cold. Spoke with Archee and Jim about it last Sunday and they might be interested. Sue expressed a little interest too when the temps were up in the 40's last weekend.

I didn't think you'd be free to go John?
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

My plans for the weekend fell through, so thinking about it if it's not too windy. Kinda sucks that one of the first paddles of the season is a "race" and not just a paddle.
norm

Post by norm »

John - I'm definitely planning to go to the Snow Row...unless the weather gets much much worse. Jim C. is planning to go also. Archee, Sue, Bea and Briggsy can't make it. I'm not into racing, so I'm not planning on pushing it too hard. I like just being able to say I did it. Just gotta find a pair of wool sox tomorrow. I seem to recall my feet getting cold last time while waiting for the race to start.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

It's too cold to sit in my car and watch it.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

pat wrote:It's too cold to sit in my car and watch it.

Oh come on Pat, the temps will be on the upswing from 14 overnight to about 22 by registration time and 27 at the start of the race and a blazing 32 as we cross the finish line. Winds from the south starting at 5mph and rising to 10mph at noon. Better to be moving around paddling a boat than standing still on a shoreline watching.

Of course your favored solution might be to hack into the security cameras on the Peddocks Island Visitors Center and watch the whole race from the comfort of your home computer...

John - I'm planning to get there early to watch the mayhem of row boats arriving and launching from trailers. Hoping to park in the spots in front of the high school at 9:00am, walk over and register at 9:30, then drive down to the far end of the municipal parking lot to launch from the beach at the end of the sea wall where there is less traffic and more space. Jim is planning to arrive at that time too. Hope to see you there.
Kris C

Post by Kris C »

My weekend plans have changed up a bit, so I've decided to join in on the fun for tomorrow's paddle. Norm, I'm planning to get there around the same time as you and Jim. See you in the AM.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Going to bring the Delphin, too much of a bother to dig the long Shadow out of the basement for 40 minutes of paddling. So if all goes well will see you in the morning.
norm

Post by norm »

Johnysmoke wrote:Going to bring the Delphin, too much of a bother to dig the long Shadow out of the basement for 40 minutes of paddling. So if all goes well will see you in the morning.

Wow. You'll be keeping up with the surf skis in a delphin?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hope everyone had a fun day out there. The return leg must have been fun, if the wind was as advertised :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

kayakerjnj wrote:Hope everyone had a fun day out there. The return leg must have been fun, if the wind was as advertised :D

Yeah, it was a good time! And the wind was as advertised. Coming back in was fun, but you had to pay for it on the first leg heading out.

Jim C., Kris C., Johnysmoke and I did the race. Bea came to watch in preparation for joining us next year. She may have some good pictures. I've got a few pics and a good video from before we started paddling and will put together a trip report soon (I hope). I'll add a couple shots here for now.

Here is a picture of the four paddlers taken by Bea with my camera. No snow fell today, but there are still plenty of snow banks around from previous storms. Left to right are: Jim C., Me, Kris C. and Johnysmoke.

P1130479_Cropped.JPG
P1130479_Cropped.JPG (105.82 KiB) Viewed 20084 times

Bea said something about being able to walk the four miles faster than we could paddle it. Here she is waving to us before the race started but she also looks like she's about to walk out on the water...

P1130491_Cropped.JPG
P1130491_Cropped.JPG (92.56 KiB) Viewed 20084 times

They gave out ski hats this year. Two years ago they gave out long sleeve t-shirts. I kinda wish they gave out baseball caps so I could wear it more often.

The weather was not too bad this year. The temps were very cold when we arrived, but the sun was shining brightly so it didn't feel too bad as long as you kept your gloves on. The wind was calm early, but got stronger as the day went on. I think we all had cold hands from sitting for 10 -15 minutes waiting in our boats for the race to start. My hands warmed up by the time we rounded Sheep Island. I should have tried using pogies and gloves. Maybe next year I'll get some of those mitten type paddling gloves.

Norm
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Here is the public link to the photos I posted on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 45af7e084c

Norm had to chop a lot of ice off his kayak before the launch. These guys are pretty hard core!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great pictures, and clear cold one out there! Kudos all!

Hope there was no mishaps - swims by any of the other participants.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

kayakerjnj wrote:Great pictures, and clear cold one out there! Kudos all!

Hope there was no mishaps - swims by any of the other participants.

I didn't see any "swims" out there and I pretty much brought up the rear of the race. There was one boat in particular I was worried about, a 9' rec kayak with no spray skirt, but I assume he had to turn back on the first leg into the wind.

There were a few spectator boats out there besides the big "mother ship" diesel stink-pot, so help was fairly nearby. The Coast Guard was there also but they observed from further away. They probably didn't want to see all the safety rules that were bring ignored.
norm

Post by norm »

The results for the Snow Row are posted: http://www.lifesavingmuseum.org/_fileCa ... ESULTS.pdf

Yay! I didn't come in last. :D
Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Congrats to you all. And people think I'm crazy for ice climbing :)