Feb, 13 Audubon Part 4: Small Craft Navigation

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Feb, 13 Audubon Part 4: Small Craft Navigation

Post by norm »

This is the last week to enjoy a Thursday evening workshop with Doug Lowry. The subject this week is small craft navigation. This would be a great opportunity for all those people who showed interest in a navigation workshop back in 2012 to get more training from a man who has done about 70 expedition kayak trips.

Pre-registration was requested, but there has been plenty of room each week, so come on out if you want to learn from a professional at minimum cost.

Here is the link to the Audubon website for this week's session: http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/program-catalog#program:startDate=1392267600:endDate=1393218000:region=South%20of%20Boston:program_code=30167

There was discussion about going to another different restaurant before the lecture this week but I don't recall the name or location. Somebody else please speak up and tell use where we'd like to go for dinner this time.

There is a fifth session about outdoor camp cooking to be held Saturday morning, February 15 from 9:00am to noon. Here is the link for the last session: http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/program-catalog#program:startDate=1392267600:endDate=1393218000:region=South%20of%20Boston:program_code=30168
Last edited by norm on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

Re: Feb, 13 Audubon Part 3: Small Craft Navigation

Post by Ron »

We were talking about the Cask and Flagon on rt 139.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Doug

Re: Feb, 13 Audubon Part 4: Small Craft Navigation

Post by Doug »

Thanks for the plug Norm! This one is one of my favorites, navigation is one of the most important sea kayaking skills out there. No amount of safety gear or paddling artistry can replace it. Reading the water and knowing your options by pro-active navigation keeps you from being the next chapter in "Deep Trouble".

Saturday's cooking class will be fun also. We will hold part of this outside, wood fire and all. Bundle up but know you can warm up inside if you need to. I'm taking requests for meals we will prepare.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Going to try and make this one.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Is anyone planning on going out to eat tonight?
Image P&H Cetus HV
norm

Post by norm »

Ron wrote:Is anyone planning on going out to eat tonight?

I'm planning to head straight to Marshfield from Boston after work, so I do plan to go to dinner there tonight. I'll be shooting for 5:00pm, but I'm not sure how bad traffic will be this afternoon between the storm and the cleanup of this morning's truck fire on the expressway.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Hello All, just received confirmation that the office will be open, so we are a go. I know some folks are traveling from areas that are being harder hit than down here (mostly rain and the likelyhood of staying rain) if there are those who had planned on coming but can't, we could get together another day, otherwise we look forward to seeing you tonight. Bring a compass if you have one, no problem if you don't.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
norm

Post by norm »

Doug wrote:Hello All, just received confirmation that the office will be open, so we are a go. I know some folks are traveling from areas that are being harder hit than down here (mostly rain and the likelyhood of staying rain) if there are those who had planned on coming but can't, we could get together another day, otherwise we look forward to seeing you tonight. Bring a compass if you have one, no problem if you don't.

Thanks for the update Doug. It's still not bad in Boston at 1:00pm, just big, wet snowflakes and nothing sticking on the ground.
KenW
antispam: No

Post by KenW »

I'm planning to be there for dinner and the lecture with Pam.