Mexico/Baja outfitters

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pdetorres
antispam: No

Mexico/Baja outfitters

Post by pdetorres »

Looking for recommendations, guidance on some warm water paddling in Mexico/Baja, preferably one catering to experienced paddlers.

Thanks

Pablo
Briggsy

Re: Mexico/Baja outfitters

Post by Briggsy »

Hey Pablo,
Although I have not used these guys, they are highly recommended in any Baja guidebook
http://www.kayakbaja.com/
I rode my motorcycle down Baja a few years ago and had planned on doing some kayaking but it was too windy. I think from memory Dec, Jan and Feb are too windy for kayaking, you had better check out the best time of year to go. I did visit those guys, they are in La Paz which is about a couple of hours from Cabo, and they seemed very switched on and helpful. They spoke good English and of course Spanish. They had a lot of camping gear for rent too. They do guided trips or you can rent the gear and make your own plan. When I was there, a company was just starting up in Loreto which is halfway down on the Sea of Cortez side, but again you have to check the weather as there is definitely a windy season. I scuba dived instead of kayaking and it was an interesting ride out to the dive sites in a little fishing boat in 25mph plus winds !!
Briggsy
Doug

Re: Mexico/Baja outfitters

Post by Doug »

Pablo, there are a number of outfitters that work out of Loreto. One that has been around for quite sometime with a great reputation is: http://www.tourbaja.com/sea_kayaking_ba ... mexico.php. Trudi has been influential in bringing "eco tourism" to the local economy. I've been paddling Baja since the late eighties and love the routes that are possible from Just North of Muleje down to La Paz. NOLS.edu have run trips out of Muleje for decades. We run a number of courses a year out of Coyote Bay all Winter long. The Winter months are known for "Nortes", winds that can last a few days, so you want to be flexible enough to not move on occasion, (great day hiking on days like that). Be prepared for diurnal winds as well, if you want to maximize your windows on the water, you'll want to be on the water at first light. They can get strong enough by late morning to create dumping surf on exposed beaches. Stronger wind patterns generally ease up as early Spring rolls around. Obviously, when you sign up for a guided trip, your time and mileage will be determined by your guide who is making decisions on the experience level of every participant. If you are gunning for longer days and you are confident in reading the weather, (Nortes can build fast, best to be always looking over your shoulder with binos) have at least a WFR, experienced in managing surf landings with loaded boats and have a flexible enough schedule to include a few days of waiting out winds, you might try renting and going on your own. Loreto is an easy place to rent boats, get some local advice and organize a trip like that. You will need to get a permit if you visit many of the islands off of Loreto. You'll also need to be prepared to carry a lot of fresh water. The standard recommended a gallon per person a day is essential here. Happy to make recommendations as your plans evolve.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart