To the Whitewater Turkeys: Time to Try the Wave?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Mark

To the Whitewater Turkeys: Time to Try the Wave?

Post by Mark »

Some of you Turkeys have dabbled in whitewater in recent months (I'm talking to you, Bea, Ken and Norm) while there are other more experienced whitewater boaters among the Turkeys (Chris, Lora, John, Phil, Lorrie, Kate, me).

I was thinking that it might be time for some of the whitewater newbies to come down and check out the Cohasset Wave! :mrgreen:

This is a great training venue and very fun play spot for short boaters and long boaters alike. Swimming is always an option, with no consequences, but the swirly waters of the Cohasset Rip will challenge your WW skills at any level of proficiency!

There are some great tides and times for playing the rip this week. Specifically, I plan to be there today at 1:30, and then have options for 3:30 on Friday and 5:30 on Sunday. (The rip starts twice a day three hours before high tide.) I'm happy to show you the ropes if you are new to the Wave, or to have your company if you are a past regular. Just let me know which day(s) work for you.

In the past, we have often combined park and play on the wave with a BBQ afterward in the parking lot. If anyone wants to come down and paddle with grilling after on Sunday evening I am up for it.

Post here or PM me if interested.

Mark
norm

Re: To the Whitewater Turkeys: Time to Try the Wave?

Post by norm »

Thanks Mark, but I'm on-call for work this week and those times won't work for me. Looks like the weather will be cooperating this weekend. I'll probably head out in the long boat during time slots that I'm free of work responsibilities.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thanks, Mark. I did buy Lora's white water boat last fall and I am itching to try it, however I am not going to be able to do any kind of paddling until the second half of July due to a tight schedule. Hard to believe, but that's how it goes...
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Mark,
I would really love to take you up on the offer but can't this week. Can you put together a few dates so I can put them on my schedule.
KR
cgr

Post by cgr »

I'm running a class this week on the deerfield. Fri is only day open but that is already booked.

There were 4! Squirt boats on the winni last Saturday. Mystery moves and everything!
Mark

Post by Mark »

cgr wrote:I'm running a class this week on the deerfield. Fri is only day open but that is already booked.

There were 4! Squirt boats on the winni last Saturday. Mystery moves and everything!

Chris, it is early and my eyes are still glued shut. I thought that said 41 squirt boats!

Well, a couple of those could have been my old boats, since they moved to NH a while ago. I didn't know there was a mystery spot on the Winni.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ken R wrote:Mark,
I would really love to take you up on the offer but can't this week. Can you put together a few dates so I can put them on my schedule.

There are a bunch of dates in July that could work, time and tide-wise. It looks like the 4th-9th and the 18th-23rd are good windows for afternoon/early evening slots. The water will be warmer, too.

Let's see if we can pull a group together sometime in July.

Thanks for the interest,

Mark
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Chris.... I'll try your boat there if you are still selling it and Mark, any weds or thurs I can come ???
Briggsy
Mark

Post by Mark »

Briggsy wrote:Chris.... I'll try your boat there if you are still selling it and Mark, any weds or thurs I can come ???
Briggsy

Dave - So you ARE alive! Sharks didn't get you yet. The 9th and the 23rd are Wednesdays and still in those good tide windows that I posted. Let's set something up!

What boat is Chris selling?
cgr

Post by cgr »

Mark - I have a liquid logic cr250 4 sale. And maybe a pyranha karnali
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I have no plans for 9th or 23rd, so either or both, whatever works for others.I can bring steamers for ppr !
Can I get my Delphin in there and more importantly back out ??
Chris, let me know about the boat
Dave
Mark

Post by Mark »

Briggsy wrote:I have no plans for 9th or 23rd, so either or both, whatever works for others.I can bring steamers for ppr !
Can I get my Delphin in there and more importantly back out ??
Chris, let me know about the boat
Dave

You can definitely get the Delphin in, and "ve have vays" to get sea kayaks back out without waiting till near slack tide.

Steamers sounds awesome, as long as we have a way to cook them!

Both of those dates would mean a fairly late start - after 6PM - so maybe some weekday warriors will be able to make it as well.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Dave, I still have the cr250 gathering dust. Right now both of those Wednesdays works for me.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Chris thanks.I have a sprayskirt for the Cetus and one for the next size up that fits my tandem but that doesn't have the neoprene tunnel. I may need to borrow one. And the only paddle I have is a Werner Shuna 215cm.
No-ones comitting to a date so shall we go for the 9th and if its a raging success do it again on 23rd ?
Mark, I'll cook the steamers there, there's a picnic table or something there right ??
Maybe we should move this to "Upcoming trips" so its not secret ?
Briggsy
cgr

Post by cgr »

I should have skirt & paddle spares
Mark

Post by Mark »

Briggsy wrote:Chris thanks.I have a sprayskirt for the Cetus and one for the next size up that fits my tandem but that doesn't have the neoprene tunnel. I may need to borrow one. And the only paddle I have is a Werner Shuna 215cm.
No-ones comitting to a date so shall we go for the 9th and if its a raging success do it again on 23rd ?
Mark, I'll cook the steamers there, there's a picnic table or something there right ??
Maybe we should move this to "Upcoming trips" so its not secret ?
Briggsy

I'll put up a "trip" in the Upcoming Trips for the 9th. Picnic table? No. We just bring beach chairs and sit in the parking lot next to the water with the grills/what-have-you on the ground.
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Chris,
If I were looking for a WW boat would your CR250 be suitable for me?
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Ken R wrote:Chris,

Maybe you should borrow Bea's boat if you just want to try whitewater again. I can lend you a WW paddle and spray skirt if needed.

I'm thinking of trying to make it the 9th or I'd give you my boat. I have a second WW boat, but it's rather big.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Ken R wrote:Chris,

Ken, The cr250 is a "riverrunning playboat" so it's shorter and a bit less forgiving than a creekboat like you paddled on the piscat. Playboats and riverrunning playboats are great for people who spend a bunch of time facing upriver or in one place. If you want to splash downriver through a wave train a river runner or creek boat is better.

It will surf better, but someone might flip more often while getting used to it. It has a weight range from about 180 lbs - 250 lbs; the lower your weight the more forgiving it is for river running. It's not as short or edgy as a full on play boat.

I'll have id with me wed and if Briggsy doesn't want it you are welcome to try it.(or try it anyway)

My usual response to newer paddlers is to try a bunch of boats first in order to figure what kind of paddling they want to do. You progress quickly so it's better to rent boats at first unless you know exactly what you want.