Easy seal watching at Monomoy

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Easy seal watching at Monomoy

Post by Briggsy »

Anyone wanting to see a bunch of seals but doesn't want to do a huge paddling day can see them easily on the "inside" of the Monomoy area. I was just there this morning and there were a lot, coming right up to me in my kayak. Looks like they are trying to catch fish as the incoming tide rushes in over the shallow sand flats. Attached is a map showing the approx. position of the new break and various other bits of info. A one mile paddle from the Morris Island Causeway launch will bring you to seal territory. If you have little experience with tidal currents be careful around the break as there are 2 to 3 knot currents. The best time to go is on an incoming tide, try to get to the break about mid tide and you'll see plenty. There is a lot of shallow water even at high tide and you can always land on the beach. If you go during an outgoing tide you risk being swept out to sea.
I didn't see any sharks !!!
It got really foggy out there this morning down to 50yds vis at one point, and let me tell you a lone duck swimming directly towards me out of the thick fog looked for a few seconds like a shark fin !!
Map is for information purposes only not for navigation
Briggsy
Attachments
mon4.jpg
mon4.jpg (144.98 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
norm

Re: Easy seal watching at Monomoy

Post by norm »

If it quacks like a duck, it's not a shark!

Thanks for posting the info.

Norm
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the picture from your ultrasound. The baby looks like it is going to be breach.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Mark wrote:Thanks for the picture from your ultrasound. The baby looks like it is going to be breach.

You guys have weird vivid imagination. Last time I included a pic of Monomoy, Pat thought it looked like an alien :roll:
Briggsy
Chip

Post by Chip »

Too much Wild Turkey. :-)
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire